Reload this Page >

Pipeline Dreams....Two Questions

Pipeline Dreams....Two Questions

Old Oct 21st 2003, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

ukbritguyusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pipeline Dreams....Two Questions

Hey guys,

I posted this in the Canadian Immigration section of the website, but I thought I would also post it here, just incase anyone could offer advice. Thanks in advance.

I am a UK citizen living in the UK and currently have an application going through for Canadian Citizenship Born Outside of Canada through a Canadian Parent.

Anyway! My dream is to move to Vancouver sometime within the next couple of years - I have never been there, but everything I have researched about it looks great, a really beautiful place.

There is a girl I love who lives in California, near Santa Cruz and part of the reason I am going to the West Coast is to be near her.

I have 2 questions:

Firstly, is there anyone here who knows Vancouver, or better still anyone who lives there? Is it a really cool place to live? Especially for a Brit. How is the cost of living? How is the job market (I know it depends on what your profession is)?

Secondly, how realistic is it that I could do the drive from Vancouver down to California once every couple of weeks? I know I could fly, but I am just thinking that driving would be cheaper. I looked on mapquest.com and its around 1000 miles, about 12 hour drive? I could leave early in the morning and be there by late evening. What are everyones opinions about that? Has anyone ever done anything similar??

Thanks for reading everyone, I appreciate it.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pipeline Dreams....Two Questions

Think your figures are out a bit there.... its a bit early but that must be averaging 83 mph...I did Toronto to Tampa Florida about 1400 miles.. it took 24 hrs 10 minutes.. I then slept for 12 hours ..got up had breakfast.. back to bed and slept for another 12 hours... Do the journey in two/ three days or fly ...
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hey,

Mapquest says it is 927 miles from Vancouver to where I want to go in California. It also says it should take 14 hours 30 minutes - so I was a couple of hours out in my original posting.

You dont think I could do it in a day?

Surely gas for a car would be cheaper than a flight? You tell me....
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ukbritguyusa
Hey,

Mapquest says it is 927 miles from Vancouver to where I want to go in California. It also says it should take 14 hours 30 minutes - so I was a couple of hours out in my original posting.

You dont think I could do it in a day?

Surely gas for a car would be cheaper than a flight? You tell me....
well you could do it in a day...the new figures gives you a constant 63mph..if its all freeway and you don't stop for fuel or food .. and you will arrive totally exhausted ..give it a go after two trip the novelty of it will wear off..
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

That's a long way to go for a shag pal.
can't she meet you in Portland?
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pipeline Dreams....Two Questions

Originally posted by ukbritguyusa
Hey guys,

<<snip>>
I have 2 questions:

Firstly, is there anyone here who knows Vancouver, or better still anyone who lives there? Is it a really cool place to live? Especially for a Brit. How is the cost of living? How is the job market (I know it depends on what your profession is)?

Secondly, how realistic is it that I could do the drive from Vancouver down to California once every couple of weeks? I know I could fly, but I am just thinking that driving would be cheaper. I looked on mapquest.com and its around 1000 miles, about 12 hour drive? I could leave early in the morning and be there by late evening. What are everyones opinions about that? Has anyone ever done anything similar??

Thanks for reading everyone, I appreciate it.
Try posting in rec.travel.usa-canada. I think you'll get answers from that newsgroup.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:35 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Vancouver in 86 for a week. Lovely place.
In fact one of my ex Navy buddies loved it so much he went back and now lives there.
I will pm you his email.
Maybe he could advise you.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I guess this trip is one I am going to have to do one day and see how long it takes! I actually prefer the idea of flying, would save so much time and effort. I was just trying to think of the cheaper option thats all.

Manc: I am not that desperate for a bit of nookie mate! I can stay in this country and get that I like to think this is something a little deeper.... But the meeting halfway does sound good!

Excpomea: Thanks so much for the email address. I will email him this week and ask his advice! I appreciate it.