Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pipe Dreams Of Living In The States - Read This!

Wikiposts

Pipe Dreams Of Living In The States - Read This!

Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pipe Dreams Of Living In The States - Read This!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wonderful...in that case I look forward to seeing you greet new members in The Welcome Inn.
That's what you have concierges for. Maybe you could ask admin to make me an offer then?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Good for you, now lets see if you are still doing it after you have been around BE for as long as some on here have.
There is only one significant reason why I stayed on BE after receiving the info I needed. It was to share my knowledge and experience with other people in order to make their own journey through the US immigration minefield seem a bit less troublesome. I do occasionally post on other topics from time to time, but 90% of what I do here is immigration related - usually, I might add, because many of the long standing existing contributors have a shocking lack of insight into the circumstances surrounding CIMT and NIV waivers especially, and I believe that balance needs redressing

Now seeing as though helping other people out is my main reason for being here, I'd hope that if I ever got jaded about things in the future I would have the decency to just cease posting altogether; rather than criticise and rail against the perceived inadequacies of the people who come here looking for help and support.

Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Maybe you could ask admin to make me an offer then?
You make it sound as if it's a paid role!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's what you have concierges for. Maybe you could ask admin to make me an offer then?
It's just like any other part of the forum, open to anyone to post and welcome people
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:55 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

We went to Orlando last summer and loved the weather and shops so much we are moving to the US during half-term so the kids don't miss school.
Should we bring the cat or have our neighbours send it on after we move into the $60,000 mansion we saw from the Disney coach.

I think that covers it, did we miss anything?

Dave the plumber.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:56 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

usually, I might add, because many of the long standing existing contributors have a shocking lack of insight into the circumstances surrounding CIMT and NIV waivers especially, and I believe that balance needs redressing
That's because most of the long term posters didn't have the foresight to get arrested for a CIMT or numerous CIMTs before applying for their visa. I wouldn't call it a shocking lack of insight, just a lack of knowledge caused by their not committing any crimes, and therefore not having knowledge of the process. We are fortunate that some decided to commit the required crimes to add to the knowledge base of BE, because that experience is a useful addition to this board.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can welcome new members in the Welcome Inn and any of the BE forums...so please feel free. As to your last comment...I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Hello,

We went to Orlando last summer and loved the weather and shops so much we are moving to the US during half-term so the kids don't miss school.
Should we bring the cat or have our neighbours send it on after we move into the $60,000 mansion we saw from the Disney coach.

I think that covers it, did we miss anything?

Dave the plumber.
Will our Freeview work?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:02 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's because most of the long term posters didn't have the foresight to get arrested for a CIMT or numerous CIMTs before applying for their visa. I wouldn't call it a shocking lack of insight, just a lack of knowledge caused by their not committing any crimes, and therefore not having knowledge of the process. We are fortunate that some decided to commit the required crimes to add to the knowledge base of BE, because that experience is a useful addition to this board.
Was that intended to be as funny as it came across?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:13 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be that they committed the crimes, but had the foresight not to get arrested for them?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:03 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Was that intended to be as funny as it came across?
Hopefully
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:05 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully
It worked for me
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
Still gets old, when the info is stuck up front for all to see, especially when people don't even bother to introduce themselves and are info vampires, never to be seen again.
That's because this is a hugely unfriendly forum. You can't ask any question without a mod person screaming at you to do a search etc. On the immigration side of things, the advice from this forum is nearly as confusing the USCIS websites themselves. Whoever writes for USCIS and the NVC clearly writes the help section here as well.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinman0
That's because this is a hugely unfriendly forum. You can't ask any question without a mod person screaming at you to do a search etc. On the immigration side of things, the advice from this forum is nearly as confusing the USCIS websites themselves. Whoever writes for USCIS and the NVC clearly writes the help section here as well.
Any forum you go to, there'll be a FAQ as well as a read me, or probably in the sign up to say read and search...BE is no different.

Most people who do bother find enough info to help them get started and certainly answer other questions they may have, so it's not a bad thing...I mean this is quite a big life changing event to plan moving countries after all...bit different about asking people which flavours of ice cream is the best :/

As for the info here on immigration, it's pretty easy to follow, it's as about as simplistic as you can get and as honest as you'll find. If you still don't understand it, or don't like the answers, there's always the professional lawyers opinion one can pay for if they don't like the free advice.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, but I've been on plenty of forums over the years, and BE (the US section at least) is hugely unfriendly. The FAQs are one thing, but if all the answers are in the FAQ - what's the point of the forum?

I just tried to give a bit of my experience on another thread, and I've got a mod or someone picking over a minor piece of detail, and I think you've just chimed in as well. Frankly, if mods are going to start nit picking over minor and inconsequential bits of a nicely worded "experience post" - what's the point of contributing?

Had a mod the other week telling a thread "YMMV" - well duh, it's a forum, people are giving their experiences, course its "YMMV".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.