Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pipe Dreams Of Living In The States - Read This!

Pipe Dreams Of Living In The States - Read This!

Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Pipe Dreams Of Living In The States - Read This!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Posted this, because of some of the questions we have been asked, recently.

Jim.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pipe Dreams Of Living In The States - Read This!

Can we make a sticky posting to the effect "BEFORE asking any questions about how to move to the US, read this, or else!"

Newbies will more quickly find initial info, leaving only very specific question to be asked of the broader community - much better use of time, energy and goodwill.

Cheers

HTS

PS thanks for the OP Mr Scouse Express chap!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Can we make a sticky posting to the effect "BEFORE asking any questions about how to move to the US, read this, or else!"

Newbies will more quickly find initial info, leaving only very specific question to be asked of the broader community - much better use of time, energy and goodwill.

Cheers

HTS

Nobody will bother to read it. There's already one in the US Immigration forum...again no-one reads it...they still ask the same old questions. It's much easier to ask rather than take the trouble to read the stickies.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Cheers

HTS

I thank you, very much. I decided to post this as some people seem to think that the US Immigration Law applies to others, and not them.

Whilst others seem to think there are huge wads of cash awaiting their arrival, without realising the actual cost of living over here, nor, how hard you have to work to maintain an average lifestyle - the cost of Health Insurance, College Educations and the fact that you also have to save for retirement which in most cases will turn out to be a part-time retirement. No doubt a few of us will be welcoming people to Walmart in our old age.

"Fantasy Island" this place certainly is not.

Jim.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with just responding to each newbie with a quick hello and welcome followed by the Pulaski link? It's not as though that takes a great deal of effort.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
others seem to think there are huge wads of cash awaiting their arrival
I can herein certify that this was by far the most disappointing aspect of my move stateside.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
What's wrong with just responding to each newbie with a quick hello and welcome followed by the Pulaski link? It's not as though that takes a great deal of effort.
To an extent I agree. I started my US journey back in 03, and if I'd discovered this forum back then I probably would have had a ton of questions. I think there's a difference, though, with people who say things like "I want to file an I-130 but I have a question" vs. "I hate the UK and want to move to America by next year, where are the best pubs in Florida?" I notice people in the latter, more clueless group tend to be the most hostile upon hearing the bad news about the realities of immigration. It gets harder to just be pleasant when faced with that kind of person.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please feel free to offer your services to welcome all new members with a big smile and cheery hello.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please feel free to offer your services to welcome all new members with a big smile and cheery hello.
I already do, and have pointed several people towards Pulaskis Ways recently. And I'll continue to do so too.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

People do. Clearly, of the place would be empty.

Still gets old, when the info is stuck up front for all to see, especially when people don't even bother to introduce themselves and are info vampires, never to be seen again.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Still gets old, when the info is stuck up front for all to see, especially when people don't even bother to introduce themselves and are info vampires, never to be seen again.
indeed ...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

There should be a forum "read me" for "people thinking of moving to the US" just like there is for passport applications.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:45 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I already do, and have pointed several people towards Pulaskis Ways recently. And I'll continue to do so too.

Good for you, now lets see if you are still doing it after you have been around BE for as long as some on here have.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Wonderful...in that case I look forward to seeing you greet new members in The Welcome Inn.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:09 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wonderful...in that case I look forward to seeing you greet new members in The Welcome Inn.
sort of like a Walmarts meeter and greeter but for BE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.