Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phone calls to the U.K.

Phone calls to the U.K.

Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

20masonroad will become famous soon enough
Default Phone calls to the U.K.

Simple question..... How and who has the cheapest phone calls to the U.K.
We currently use A T & T, we pay $5 a month and that gets us calls to the U.K. for 7 cents a minute......We would like to forgo a "home" phone altogether. Would love some feedback.
Thanks.
Paul
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone calls to the U.K.

Hubby only has a work crackberry and a personal cell, which is now mine

He/we use Tel3 http://www.tel3.com/

We've been using for the past six years. Now, I'm sure that there'll be people on here who say the 1.5 cents a minute is a fortune etc, but we have had absolutely no problems with this service. Occasionally the line is a bit unclear, but I don't know if that's a feature of Tel3 or of international calls. He's puts 20 bucks on via credit card every not so very often.

Just before any call, an automated voice tells you how much credit you have left in minutes to the destination you are calling.

I always think it's mildly amusing - and indeed frightening LOL - when I call my parents (in Oz) and I get....eg... "Thank you for using Tel3. You have 638 !!! minutes remaining"

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Aug 18th 2009 at 4:26 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I use onesuite. It seems to be cheap and easy. A lot of companies offer very low per minute rate, like 1c or less but charge you a connection fee and/or a monthly fee. It may work out cheaper to use of of these if you make a lot of very long calls or use all your credit in a month but for me a slightly higher per minute rate and no connection or monthly fee works best.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Aug 18th 2009 at 3:28 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is Skype. You don't even have to have a PC if you are prepared to buy a Skype Phone like I did. If you just want to make outgoing calls then you just have to buy Skype credit (no monthly fee or connection fee to my knowledge). It lasts for a long time before expiring and calls to UK landlines only cost 2.5c/min. Calling mobiles is where Skype fees lets you down. Check the cost list here:

http://www.skype.com/prices/callrates/#listing-U

You have the option to buy a Skype In number. This is a proper phone number that people can call from a regular phone. I have a UK (london) and a US (local St Pete) Skype In number and they both will make the same phone ring. Saves people from the UK paying a lot to call you.

Google have just set up a similar system (no UK incoming number). Allows you to call the UK for a low rate but still need a normal phone to make the call from (mobile or home). I'm signed up but not actually used it properly.

http://www.google.com/voice/
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We just dropped our international long distance plan and went with the local phone company, no monthly plan charge and we are paying a penny a minute to the UK. Check what the normal charge would be with the local land line Co.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
For me it is Skype. You don't even have to have a PC if you are prepared to buy a Skype Phone like I did. If you just want to make outgoing calls then you just have to buy Skype credit (no monthly fee or connection fee to my knowledge). It lasts for a long time before expiring and calls to UK landlines only cost 2.5c/min. Calling mobiles is where Skype fees lets you down. Check the cost list here:

http://www.skype.com/prices/callrates/#listing-U

You have the option to buy a Skype In number. This is a proper phone number that people can call from a regular phone. I have a UK (london) and a US (local St Pete) Skype In number and they both will make the same phone ring. Saves people from the UK paying a lot to call you.

Google have just set up a similar system (no UK incoming number). Allows you to call the UK for a low rate but still need a normal phone to make the call from (mobile or home). I'm signed up but not actually used it properly.

http://www.google.com/voice/
Same here; I have a Skype wifi phone which serves as home phone. Buy a Skype in number, it costs $60 for the whole year, and your calls cost buttons to UK landlines. Much better deal than even the VOIP providers (used to have Lingo, but it does nothing that Skype can't, and all those VOIP services cost around $19.99 a month plus at least another 7 dollars or so in taxes and hidden extras).
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:59 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another Skype user. I just use it with my laptop with Skypein and Skypeout. Just waiting for my mom to get a computer and I'll just use the free bits of Skype.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 20masonroad
Simple question..... How and who has the cheapest phone calls to the U.K.
We currently use A T & T, we pay $5 a month and that gets us calls to the U.K. for 7 cents a minute......We would like to forgo a "home" phone altogether. Would love some feedback.
Thanks.
Paul
Bought a PAP2 voip box from ebay for about $20...plug your 'normal' phone into it and sign up for a free account with voiptalk.co.uk. Re-use your nice DECT cordless phone no problem.

Nothing a month subscription and about 3 cents a minute to landlines in the UK (and most of the rest of the first world), also US landlines and cellphones.

You can even 'buy' an 0845 number for a one-off fee of £6.99 then folks back home can call you for about 5p a minute.

Of course you need broadband internet for this all to work.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:15 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a land line as part of our cable TV / Internet bundle. It's "free" unlimited local and long distance and something like 5c a minute to UK landlines.

However, it's nearer 30c a minute to mobiles and the thing to beware of is it's not good with non-geographic numbers, e.g. 0870 is charged at the mobile rate.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
However, it's nearer 30c a minute to mobiles and the thing to beware of is it's not good with non-geographic numbers, e.g. 0870 is charged at the mobile rate.
Good point. 0845 numbers are more expensive than regular calls on skype too. About 13c/min. Annoying as most companies that stick you on hold use these numbers.

On the flip-side UK 0800 numbers are free on Skype.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
Good point. 0845 numbers are more expensive than regular calls on skype too. About 13c/min. Annoying as most companies that stick you on hold use these numbers.
go to saynoto0870.com and look up the geographic number the 0845 number connects to. Then you can call at normal rates.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
about 3 cents a minute to landlines in the UK
Just checked my call records on the website - actually it's 1.4p/min, which is about 2 cents per minute.

Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lansbury
go to saynoto0870.com and look up the geographic number the 0845 number connects to. Then you can call at normal rates.
Sweet. Thanks!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:51 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
Yep, very useful, if it has the number in its database. Sadly, not all of them are - try finding a (working) geographic # for Orange, for example...
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep, very useful, if it has the number in its database. Sadly, not all of them are - try finding a (working) geographic # for Orange, for example...
I didn't think Orange used geographic numbers I thought they used their own mobile numbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.