Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia here I come.....

Philadelphia here I come.....

Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:07 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Philadelphia here I come.....

After spending 4 boring years in State College, Pennsylvania, hearing about Joe Paterno and the Nittany Lions and sending my husband back to college, its now the turn of yours truly to go and move 4 hours away so I can blag my way through a Masters degree at Temple University in Philadelphia.

I've been to Philly countless times but I'm aware that living there is a different story.
I'll be living in Elkins Park, north Philly, for the first year at least.

I'd really appreciate any tips what NOT to do or subscribe to or where NOT to shop aswell as tips on food shopping, (I'm leaving wegmans behind ) public transport, jobs, community services, and any resources anyone moving to philly could do to know.
Thanks!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philadelphia here I come.....

I know there are a couple of Wholefoods and a Trader Joes in Philly so you should be ok on the food front even without Wegmens

I'm a couple of hours away so can't really help your other questions. Good luck with your big move and course, you must be really excited.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
After spending 4 boring years in State College, Pennsylvania, hearing about Joe Paterno and the Nittany Lions and sending my husband back to college, its now the turn of yours truly to go and move 4 hours away so I can blag my way through a Masters degree at Temple University in Philadelphia.

I've been to Philly countless times but I'm aware that living there is a different story.
I'll be living in Elkins Park, north Philly, for the first year at least.

I'd really appreciate any tips what NOT to do or subscribe to or where NOT to shop aswell as tips on food shopping, (I'm leaving wegmans behind ) public transport, jobs, community services, and any resources anyone moving to philly could do to know.
Thanks!
So you're finally managing to escape eh? Don't know how you stuck it there for 4 years...my daughter had enough after 7 weeks. Can't really help you with Philly but I just wanted to wish you all the best with the move and your degree course.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help, but soundsn cool and good luck!

All I know about the place is Mellon and the glut of IT geeks, reason why Eutechnyx are setting up an tech studio down there...

Bit of a dump though apparently, according to the missus who went to college near by...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:58 am
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future

My wife went to Temple - Ill ask her for some info and PM you.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:45 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

I can tell you what we hear from Philly every night on the news.... Shootings and more shootings.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Philly is a nice town. I have a friend who lived there for about 5 years and loved it. Talks about it all the time. Yes, there are shootings etc, but that's many places in the US. You should see the Baltimore news, it's enough to make you want to jump off a cliff.