Pets?

Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

cliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pets?

How did any of guys/gals get on with taking your pets over to the USA?

Was it awkward for them during the travel?

We have two cats and a small dog. We definitely want to take them as they have been with us for the last 8 years.

Can you take them with you in the cabin?

If so how much does it cost?

Is it awkward to find rented accommodation to support your pets, I have had a look and it vastly reduces the amount of rented houses you can have when you have pets.

I would imagine that we would have to stay in a hotel for a few days before we find a house to rent, if so how did you get on with your dogs/cats?

Any help would be most appreciated?

Thanks

cliffhanger79
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:36 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets?

Bringing Pets : British Expat Wiki

This is a good starting point.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

cliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond reputecliffhanger79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Bringing Pets : British Expat Wiki

This is a good starting point.
Just had a brief look now, thanks for the info.

From the look at what most people have said in other posts, most cats would have to live in doors and the dangers of other animals and cars bring a nuisance to them.

Our cats are outdoor cats, so to force them to live inside would be a tad cruel to them after so many years of being able to do as they please.

cliffhanger79
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take them with you in the cabin?

No

If so how much does it cost?

It costs around the same as a regular ticket to transport a pet. Depending on the receiving airport and the airline, you may be required to use a pet shipping company.

Is it awkward to find rented accommodation to support your pets, I have had a look and it vastly reduces the amount of rented houses you can have when you have pets.

You've really answered your own question here. Pet friendly rents are significantly fewer than those that ban pets. They will also ask for a pet fee up front and perhaps an additional monthly charge.

I would imagine that we would have to stay in a hotel for a few days before we find a house to rent, if so how did you get on with your dogs/cats?

Hotels don't accept pets, generally.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliffhanger79

Our cats are outdoor cats, so to force them to live inside would be a tad cruel to them after so many years of being able to do as they please.

cliffhanger79
Putting them in a situation where they could be harmed by the kind of wild animals that they are totally unused to in the UK could be seen as being a tad cruel, too.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Putting them in a situation where they could be harmed by the kind of wild animals that they are totally unused to in the UK could be seen as being a tad cruel, too.
Agree with this 100% - large spiders, dangerous snakes, even scorpions etc in some areas. I have 3 cats and would never dream of letting them outside, not to mention the number of cats that I see most days on the side of the road having been hit by the behemoth trucks that most Americans drive.

Poor kitties never have a chance.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:14 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliffhanger79
Just had a brief look now, thanks for the info.

From the look at what most people have said in other posts, most cats would have to live in doors and the dangers of other animals and cars bring a nuisance to them.

cliffhanger79
We'll my dogs are substantially bigger than your average cat and I am careful about letting them play out in our backyard alone. Snakes, coyotes, giant hawks and last week, I shit you not, killer bees killed 3 dogs nearby.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:57 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

La Quinta let us stay and keep our dog with us.
Lufthansa was €300 to bring her from Europe to Houston in the hold.
We had a "pet contract" with our landlord, extra $150 deposit. Didn't tell him about the rabbit though! Our relocation agent thought we'd be pushing our luck a bit...

KILLER BEES!!! I'm just getting to grips with Texas. I don't walk around my garden in bare feet anymore. :-)
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
La Quinta let us stay and keep our dog with us.
Lufthansa was €300 to bring her from Europe to Houston in the hold.
We had a "pet contract" with our landlord, extra $150 deposit. Didn't tell him about the rabbit though! Our relocation agent thought we'd be pushing our luck a bit...

KILLER BEES!!! I'm just getting to grips with Texas. I don't walk around my garden in bare feet anymore. :-)
Oh lovely, just the many things I am looking forward to when hopefully I move over there next year. I think keeping a dog inside is one thing, but having the house full of cats and dogs is another, fluff everywhere, one of our cats is a long haired one and his fur sometimes gets to your eyes so its a blessing when he goes outside, the other cat could quite happily stay inside all day.
But I would rather part with them both than get rid of one, they are a pair and depend on each other.

When we moved a few years ago, we couldn't wait to let the cats outside, the cat litter stinks. I don't think it would be fair to keep them in all the time as they are out when they want to over here.

Be sad to leave them here though, just the mad dog to go then.

Cliffhanger79
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I let my cats outside. I caught one of them stalking a deer the other day.

Yes, there's a risk but they were at more risk of being run over in the UK than they are of anything getting them here.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 9:08 pm

jomarshall is an unknown quantity at this point

just transported 2 dogs from UK to CA.Used kennels in UK that deals only with international travel.They were fantastic! Don't travel same time as pets .Let them follow on once you have your feet on the ground.My two were absolutely fine just read for a wee & a run! Cost £2000 to include crates and vet cert NEEDED before they can travel.Need to sort vac's , inc rabies and licenses & insurance before they travel to avoid immigration problem at this end. We rent and it did reduce number of places available but we still ad a choice & have a lovely home! Where are you moving to?
Jo
Old Jun 21st 2014, 9:19 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I let my cats outside. I caught one of them stalking a deer the other day.

Yes, there's a risk but they were at more risk of being run over in the UK than they are of anything getting them here.
I always let my cats out when we had them. Used a cat flap. No problems at all.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Did you have any problems with snakes, spiders and such that everyone is talking about?

cliffhanger79
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:02 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Where were you living at that point? Rural, urban, which state? I think we will be building a catio for our two at the first opportunity.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Where were you living at that point? Rural, urban, which state? I think we will be building a catio for our two at the first opportunity.
We stopped using a cat flap years ago (FL) after finding all sorts of wild critters brought in as ‘presents’

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.