Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet shipping via Continental

Pet shipping via Continental

Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet shipping via Continental

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Apparently Continental has something called PetSafe now where they get the animal off the plane immediately so no worries about the heat.
I don't think that covers situations stated in my post #3.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

For those who have taken their cat in the cabin - i assume that they were in a small cat carrier type thing that fitted under your seat? My cat is pretty big (7kg), don't think he would be able to turn around/stretch in a carrier that sort of size. (I can't recall exactly how much room is under a seat but I know in his normal vet cat carrier he can't turn round/lay down fully). Given the estimated measurements I gave to the pet shippers it looks like he would require a dog size crate.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:34 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what we used. It comes in large or even extra large.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think that covers situations stated in my post #3.
You are absolutely right but unfortunately those of us with pets that are too big to go under the seat have no choice. You just have to hope and pray that it doesn't happen.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
For those who have taken their cat in the cabin - i assume that they were in a small cat carrier type thing that fitted under your seat? My cat is pretty big (7kg), don't think he would be able to turn around/stretch in a carrier that sort of size. (I can't recall exactly how much room is under a seat but I know in his normal vet cat carrier he can't turn round/lay down fully). Given the estimated measurements I gave to the pet shippers it looks like he would require a dog size crate.
I recently moved NYC to AZ with a small cat (about 7-8lb). We flew JetBlue and in order to avoid any airport hassle bought the JetBlue branded cat carrier from their website ($50). As I recall there is quite a long list of requirements for taking a pet in the cabin which includes weight and size limits so check the carrier's website for specifics. The JetBlue website suggests a 20lb limit for pet and carrier together http://www.jetblue.com/jetpaws/images/JB_PetGuide.pdf . Essentially it must fit under the seat in front of you!

Note also, if you take a pet in the cabin, you have to take it out of the carrier at security so they can X-ray the carrier. That was fun. The cat was on valium thankfully, I wish I had been.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Continental has something called PetSafe now where they get the animal off the plane immediately so no worries about the heat.
Per Continental website only if the temp is over 85 and only if exposed to said temps for over 45 minutes will pet see a climate controlled vehicle.

"Personal handling in climate-controlled vehicles for connections over Continental's hubs when the animal will be exposed to temperatures above 85°F (29.5°C) degrees for more than 45 minutes."

Sounds to me if under 85 degrees the animal doesn't get any special transportation.

And if over 85 has to be for more then 45 minutes.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I recently moved NYC to AZ with a small cat (about 7-8lb). We flew JetBlue and in order to avoid any airport hassle bought the JetBlue branded cat carrier from their website ($50). As I recall there is quite a long list of requirements for taking a pet in the cabin which includes weight and size limits so check the carrier's website for specifics. The JetBlue website suggests a 20lb limit for pet and carrier together http://www.jetblue.com/jetpaws/images/JB_PetGuide.pdf . Essentially it must fit under the seat in front of you!

Note also, if you take a pet in the cabin, you have to take it out of the carrier at security so they can X-ray the carrier. That was fun. The cat was on valium thankfully, I wish I had been.
A 20lb pet is quite big. My dog weighs about 13lb...she is far too big to fit under the seat. Continental used to restrict the weight to 10lb but I can't see any weight limit on their website.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:00 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

You are absolutely right but unfortunately those of us with pets that are too big to go under the seat have no choice. You just have to hope and pray that it doesn't happen.
My prayers have already started.

We are about to move to the US the first week of August with 2 large(ish) dogs. We are booked on Air France. I'm worried already. I am trying not to think of all the possible things that could go wrong, and hope that the company in charge of their removal know what they are doing. The French seem to be either totally dotty about their ittie-bittie-cutie lap dogs, or completely indifferent to the welfare of their working/hunting dogs.

One of my dogs is very nervous and starts shaking at the slightest noise or disturbance, so I will dose her with rescue remedy for pets and hope she survives the trauma.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose

We are about to move to the US the first week of August with 2 large(ish) dogs. We are booked on Air France. I'm worried already. I am trying not to think of all the possible things that could go wrong, and hope that the company in charge of their removal know what they are doing. The French seem to be either totally dotty about their ittie-bittie-cutie lap dogs, or completely indifferent to the welfare of their working/hunting dogs.

One of my dogs is very nervous and starts shaking at the slightest noise or disturbance, so I will dose her with rescue remedy for pets and hope she survives the trauma.

Who are you flying your dogs with, are you using a pet courier?

If it helps any, during my frantic googling over the last few days I did find some stats on how many animals were transported and how many of those were lost/injured/died per airline.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/

This one contains the data for animals transported during August 2009 (last page):

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/repor...200910ATCR.PDF

Given that over 2 million animals get flown every year I was a little happier after reading the stats on those. You can also click on the airline names to read the report on the incidents and in all the ones I read there were circumstances unrelated to the airline which caused the issues.

I still would rather not have to send my cat at all but I think space wise he is better off in a crate than in a carrier that will fit under the seat. I do definitely agree with everyone who said he would be better off in the cabin but space wise I don't think this is feasible.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:58 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

thanks for that - it makes interesting reading, and looks like the animal incidents are rare. Which is good news.

I think the animal transporters we are using is stlc-transit. I didn't choose them - it is all done through OH's company. My friend took an Irish Wolfhound over about 3 years ago and I presume it was the same company that was used then. It was certainly Air France they flew with. They were happy with his treatment - but he did have to have a crate specially made for him because no company makes one big enough as standard!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Good luck with your journey across the pond

We shipped our two westies in the hold last year from LHR-SFO, they were so pleased to see us the other end, it was like they completely forgot about their long journey, they were in crates for 16 hours total.

We flew with Virgin who were very helpful, i was a nervous wreck the whole flight, and the few days leading up to it, but there was no way we were leaving our dogs in the UK

Once you are over here with your cat, you will soon realise the whole process was very straight forward and your cat will adapt quickly

There are lots of people on here who have shipped cats/dogs (even horses) and Im sure you will get lots of great advice/reassurance
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Who are you flying your dogs with, are you using a pet courier?

If it helps any, during my frantic googling over the last few days I did find some stats on how many animals were transported and how many of those were lost/injured/died per airline.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/

This one contains the data for animals transported during August 2009 (last page):

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/repor...200910ATCR.PDF

Given that over 2 million animals get flown every year I was a little happier after reading the stats on those. You can also click on the airline names to read the report on the incidents and in all the ones I read there were circumstances unrelated to the airline which caused the issues.

I still would rather not have to send my cat at all but I think space wise he is better off in a crate than in a carrier that will fit under the seat. I do definitely agree with everyone who said he would be better off in the cabin but space wise I don't think this is feasible.
Is it not possible to transport your pet on a non stop flight?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:58 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

our 4 came over about 5 years ago in crates. Direct from Edinburgh to New York, overnight stay at airport to ensure they were okay (restriction on max flight time in one day i believe) and then onto Cleveland the next morning. They were pretty well freaked out when i picked them up but with 2-3 hours were fine. Continental seemed to do a pretty good job (although the actual contract was with an animal shipper)
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:01 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

ours is non-stop Paris CDG to EWR. They will be driven up from our house the day before so they don't have to change in CDG. I shall fly up and change onto the same flight as them. OH is going over the day before to collect his car to pick us all up when we arrive. Then straight to the new (rented) house. Simplz
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose

Took my dog over on Air France, check in staff at CDG very helpful and asked if they should write any comments regarding the animal e.g. nervous etc on a label affixed to the crate. Having lived in France for quite a few years I was pleasantly surprised.
Every vet I have spoken to advises not to administer any drugs for the flight, yours may have other opinions, it’s worth checking.
A supply of water is very important; the dog could be in his crate for quite some time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.