Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Apr 11th 2005, 11:21 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I hate the obsession with blinds here too ... so much so, that when I last visited England I came back with a suitcase full of net curtains. We have the only house in this area with decent net curtains ... some stores do sell the US version of net curtains, but they are total crap! Even my husband admits that net curtains are so much nicer than blinds.

For my next trip back home ... decent curtains are on the shopping list ... you can get decent curtain rails here ... just a pain in the arse to fit them to stud walls ... never a stud where you actually want to drill!

And the going to bed early thing ... I don't get it either ... but then again, everything closes early. My husband thinks it odd that we have pubs open till late every day of the week ... but he also thinks the English are a nation of alcoholics!

He also thinks it's totally wrong that the legal age for sex in the UK is 16! I don't really think it matters ... sex will happen regardless of what age is set as the legal requirement.
I agree with you 100% re those dreadful blinds that everyone in this country seems to obsessed with. Our house too is the only one in our street with lovely net curtains that I brought back from my last trip home to NZ. As for the Curtains & curtain rods they are so prehistoric over here & Ive already given instructions to everyone at home that the next visitor here better make room in their bags to bring me some. No doubt by the time September rolls around (thats when my youngest son is planning his visit) I will have a list a mile long for him to bring me.
Im not much of a drinker but I really miss not being able to buy alcohol on a Sunday here. It was always so convenient to be able to stop off at the supermarket & grab a bottle of wine when on the way to a barbecue arranged at the last minute. Pubs in NZ are also open 7 days a week & many of them stay open until the wee small hours which during the summer months is great. I currently have a son living in the UK & he told me today he always thought that Kiwis drank a lot but he has been amazed to see how much social drinking is done in the UK. I still dont think its a nation of alcoholics though! The legal age in NZ is also 16 but then I guess thats because we are part of the commonwealth & a lot of our laws come from Britain.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:03 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Im not much of a drinker but I really miss not being able to buy alcohol on a Sunday here.
An Indiana thing. And a few other states. In NM you can't buy it before noon on Sunday, but you hardly ever notice that since liquor can be acquired pretty much anywhere. Grocery stores sell everything up to and including Everclear. You can get a nice single malt Scotch from the gas station while you're filling up the other tank. The liquor stores aren't drive-through anymore, but getting caught driving drunk is almost a requirement before running for public office. :scared:
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:08 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
An Indiana thing. And a few other states. In NM you can't buy it before noon on Sunday, but you hardly ever notice that since liquor can be acquired pretty much anywhere. Grocery stores sell everything up to and including Everclear. You can get a nice single malt Scotch from the gas station while you're filling up the other tank. The liquor stores aren't drive-through anymore, but getting caught driving drunk is almost a requirement before running for public office. :scared:
Yes your right about it being an Indiana thing because I know we have the option of driving across the state line into Ohio to buy it if we want but we usually dont bother. LOL re your views on running for public office but I havent been here long enough to give a view on that one, or I should say havent been here long enough to feel brave enough to comment on that!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:47 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
how much does that cost?
can get the odd brit paper in portland, but there a few bucks a piece, not to mention a 2.5hr drive
Hey Bob. Not sure and hubby's not here. It's a fair bit though but they are delivered to your door. I get Saturday, Sunday and Monday's edition on the following Wednesday. They're printed in Florida.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:49 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
hey CB hows school ?
Hi Eskimo! It's fandabydoozy! Thanks for asking! They test every four weeks (roughly) and I've got 7 A's and 1 B so far! Off to the lounge to get some congrats!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:47 pm
Franklin

Getting out at the Smithsonian metro in the middle of The Mall only to find that the information/map at the exit has not been updated to include the location of the latest museum on The Mall ... the National Museum for the American Indian. Crazy omission. No one we asked knew the location or had a tourist map. Took a "best guess" and got the location wrong and ended up walking the wrong way under quite a hot sun. Grrrrrr. Found out eventually ... then walked to the new museum (it's on the Congress side of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum).

I can recommend the National Museum for the American Indian; we intend to visit it again. Not seen all the exhibits yet, it closed at 5.30 PM ... wasted so much time going the wrong way up the wrong side of The Mall.

Last edited by Franklin; Apr 21st 2005 at 10:18 pm.

Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Getting out at the Smithsonian metro in the middle of The Mall only to find that the information/map at the exit has not been updated to include the location of the latest museum on The Mall ... the National Museum for the American Indian. Crazy omission. No one we asked knew the location or had a tourist map. Took a "best guess" and got the location wrong and ended up walking the wrong way under quite a hot sun.
Indian must hide from paleface. Paleface always gets lost. Can't take hot sun.

Amy (1/16th Cherokee Indian)
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:14 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Indian must hide from paleface. Paleface always gets lost. Can't take hot sun.

Amy (1/16th Cherokee Indian)
*LOL* U described me to a "t".

Old Apr 24th 2005, 4:20 am
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
They could have tried ... but seeing as they are just ordinary people whose only aim in life is to avoid paying taxes it wouldn't have worked. I don't know why people still think of them as gypsies ... they are travellers ... weren't they called 'New Age Travellers' at some point?

OK - I used to be a traveller. There's an important distinction here. The New Age travellers are essentially young (or young at heart) hippy types, who have bought a 'magic bus' and banded together to live in fields , smoke dope, and maybe go to Glastonbury a few times a year.

The 'Gypsies' are something different - sometimes called 'Diddecoys' or several other names , often of Irish extraction - they are far more frequently to blame for making a bloody awful mess - and leaving behind shit when their family groups move on. Also - showing no respect for the local populace at all, often involved in petty local crime, industrial break ins etc. (from personal experiance too!) These are the ones who usually get the council assigned 'travellers sites' - as the New Age travellers would almost certainly be denied access by the insular, and potentially aggressive, Gypsies.

I have often stayed with New Age Travellers with a concience, who leave sites clean and tidy (I did it myself). but they still get the rap for the , deliberately filthy , gypsies.

Thanks for your time,

Bumpkin
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shepslady
I agree with you 100% re those dreadful blinds that everyone in this country seems to obsessed with. Our house too is the only one in our street with lovely net curtains that I brought back from my last trip home to NZ. .
I just cant decide if you are being serious ? nets ? do you have doilies as well ?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I just cant decide if you are being serious ? nets ? do you have doilies as well ?
Eskimo, Eskimo, Eskimo.... I had to overcome a terrible internal struggle to keep my mouth shut on that one. Now look what you've done.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Eskimo, Eskimo, Eskimo.... I had to overcome a terrible internal struggle to keep my mouth shut on that one. Now look what you've done.

Well if we're allowed to be insensitive male chauvinist pigs on here, all I can say is let havoc reign.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 12:02 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Pet peeves about living in the USA...hmm...

-Excessive patriotism. 'United we stand' bumper stickers etc. Drives me mad.

-High school kids (maybe just the ones in Ridgewood, New Jersey though? )

-Complete lack of knowledge about what's actually happening in the rest of the world.

-Gun culture

-Racial tensions..I just hate how black people are portrayed in the media. It's all 'Yo mutha****a!!'

-Becs

Last edited by Becs; Apr 24th 2005 at 12:06 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:23 pm
Franklin

TV cameras and journalists and other stuff around my office area ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042600490.html

Just makes me nervous when most of the terrorist cases are tried in the VA Federal Ct. House behind my office building ... last week it was the 911 guy who did not join the 911 team (he said he was going to fly a plane into the White House after 911, part of some second wave I think.

A few months back it was the guy who traveled to Tripoli can came back with cash ... and the guy who is up for trying to kill the President is having his hearings at the same court house.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:49 pm
Franklin

And another pet peeve ...

Britons care about America more than Americans care about Britain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.