Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

pet microchiping for travel to U.K.

pet microchiping for travel to U.K.

Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

gary govan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pet microchiping for travel to U.K.

Hi,

First ever posting.

This is probably an old well worn topic, but how do I go about having a dog microchipped for travel to UK?

Do we just call our local vet, or something more complicated.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pet microchiping for travel to U.K.

Originally posted by gary govan
Hi,

First ever posting.

This is probably an old well worn topic, but how do I go about having a dog microchipped for travel to UK?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
Yes, call your vet. It's a pretty simple procedure.

I'm not sure if there are different types of chips and readers. I have read a recommendation that you buy your own reader to have ready in case the reader they use at the airport doesn't read your dog's chip, but I think that sounds excessive.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 6:22 pm
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

Be sure to get a microchip implanted that can be read by microchip scanners in the UK -- many of the chips that can be read by U.S. scanners cannot be read by UK ones, I believe.

Hi,

First ever posting.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

First ever posting.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
I don't have any immediate need to take a pet to the UK anytime soon, but I was under the impression that if one wanted to take their pet to the UK, regardless of where the pet is coming from, the UK forces all pets into a 6mo quarantine. Is this true? If so, what purpose does microchipping your pet serve? This is rarely done in the US, at least here where I'm from.

Just curious about this topic.

Jamie
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't have any immediate need to take a pet to the UK anytime soon, but I was under the impression that if one wanted to take their pet to the UK, regardless of where the pet is coming from, the UK forces all pets into a 6mo quarantine. Is this true? If so, what purpose does microchipping your pet serve? This is rarely done in the US, at least here where I'm from.

Just curious about this topic.

Jamie
Check this site: http://freespace.virgin.net/passports.forpets/

It's now possile to avoid UK quarantine if you follow these procedures. The system has been in place for a couple of years.
Even if you don't intend to take a dog to the UK, chipping or tattoos allow your dog to be identifed if it gets lost and loses its collar.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

gary govan is an unknown quantity at this point

The difinitive answer lies in the following web-site.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

I think. Basicly, go to the vet, get the pup/moggie whatever checked for rabies, once the all clear comes through, he issues a certificate, micro chips the wee bugger and your off. No quarantine, no undue waiting arround for months on end.

As suggested though, check the manufacturer compatability with the microchip from the vet and the reading instrument thingy from the airline in London.

Thanks for the postings.

Gary
Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:23 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Micro chipping has to be done before the rabies shot is given. It's the only way they have to prove that particular animal is the one that had the rabies shot.

Maggie

The difinitive answer lies in the following web-site.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

I think. Basicly, go to the vet, get the pup/moggie whatever checked for rabies, once the all clear comes through, he issues a certificate, micro chips the wee bugger and your off. No quarantine, no undue waiting arround for months on end.

As suggested though, check the manufacturer compatability with the microchip from the vet and the reading instrument thingy from the airline in London.

Thanks for the postings.

Gary
before