Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pest Magic???

Pest Magic???

Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

OverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really nice
Default Pest Magic???

Hi All

When I was living in the UK my wife and I bough a couple of electronic gizmos called Pest Magic to get rid of spiders and other nasty crawlies.

Does anyone know if anything similar is available here in the US?

We just moved in to our new house (finally) and I want to get some of these gizmos to keep our house mouse, rat and spider free!

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pest Magic???

Failing anything electric try a cat.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:40 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OverThePond
Hi All

When I was living in the UK my wife and I bough a couple of electronic gizmos called Pest Magic to get rid of spiders and other nasty crawlies.

We just moved in to our new house (finally) and I want to get some of these gizmos to keep our house mouse, rat and spider free!

Thanks!!!
Try Home Depot or Lowes.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you can get those things in a lot of hardware stores, but they don't really work...
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:19 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer bug bombs. You set a few of them off in the morning, close up the place (with a slight cracked window) and then go away for a few hours. They seem to get in everywhere and do a pretty good job.

Just don't be like that moron who set off 20 bug bombs in his house only to come home and find out his place exploded. Spaz

http://www.local6.com/news/2713897/detail.html
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:36 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Hi All

Thanks!!!
You bought a machine to killed all the spiders in your house in the UK !

Why would you do this ? We had 3 bigish spiders in our last house in the UK that kept the place fairly bug free. By the time we left the one that lived by the front door would come out and wave at us when we left for work and we often found him hanging out with Ralph, from the bathroom ! Ahhh the memories.....

I suggest you wrap yourselves in cling-film and whatever you do - never go outside !

There's nothing in the UK that can kill you or even hurt you so to me this is madness - I understand that there is sometimes a need for this in the USA, where cockroaches, deadly spider exist, however why don't you wait and see if you get a problem before planning on killing things ?

If you find yourself having to kill rodents then just remember they're only there cos there's food around for them. If you don't leave food lying around either in your garbage or open food in cupboards then you won't need to kill them cos they'll be next door at the house where people don't take responsibility for sharing this planet with other lifeforms.

Rich./
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If Pest Magic is what I think it is...it does not kill anything...it repels them. It's a plug in device which emits some sort of frequency within the walls of the building which the critters don't like. This in effect stops the critters from entering your home via the walls.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The FTC stopped a lot of the sales of these in 2003 with the news that
they didn't work ...

A bit like the device that was supposed to send out a sound to stop nasty dogs in their tracks ..I still have the scars that proved they did not work ....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:42 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If Pest Magic is what I think it is...it does not kill anything...it repels them. It's a plug in device which emits some sort of frequency within the walls of the building which the critters don't like. This in effect stops the critters from entering your home via the walls.
Just go for the brown note instead.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:08 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

A bit like the device that was supposed to send out a sound to stop nasty dogs in their tracks ..I still have the scars that proved they did not work ....
I thought you kept the missus on a leash?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

OverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really niceOverThePond is just really nice

Thanks for the replies - cannot get a cat as my wife is severely allergic.

To the cling film guy - aside from finding your reply quite condescending I have no control over how the previous owners took care of their house hence I am looking for something that will not kill but deter.

Anyway - I came to ask a simple question from what I thought was a fun and friendly forum - unfortunately I was wrong and I apologise for any offence caused by my question. I'll think twice before posting here again ...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardowen
There's nothing in the UK that can kill you or even hurt you so to me this is madness -
you are quite wrong, personal experience tells me that there are MANY types of spider in the UK that whilst not deadly (none strictly are) can result in severe issues.

What I got was a bite from a European Wolf Spider (caught it later in the day)... the bite itself woke me up in the middle of the night... seconds later I had a nice bee sting like red sore... hours later the flesh necrotized... the doc said that without treatment it would have caused much more damage.

People with allergies to bee/wasp stings would die in a few hours without immediate treatment.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway - I came to ask a simple question from what I thought was a fun and friendly forum - unfortunately I was wrong and I apologise for any offence caused by my question. I'll think twice before posting here again ...
Its the time of the month - not everyone here is as venomous.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:33 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by USBound
Its the time of the month - not everyone here is as venomous.
Yeah - sorry if I came on too strong - must be my time of the week...

I'm not normally so venomous - I just lived in the countryside most of my life in the UK and when i moved to London I got sick of people just killing anything they saw. People jumping on chairs cos of spiders etc... I got on my soap box too much here so I apologies for the condescension.

Allergies and wolf spiders aside - I really think we're quite blessed with our level of dangerous bugs in the UK. I guess it's the weather we have to thank !

Humble pie
Rich./
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Get Orkin round!

We lived in Texas where there is much that can cause interest! Had a scorion and various nasty spiders (apparently the scorpion was not a killer but it still scared the shit out us!) They treat the insider with a barrier that if crawlies get through they die soon afterwards - always had great service from them and it was well worth the cost - I think it was $90 a quarter - or that might have been monthly......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.