Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Perth (oz) to Florida (usa) what's the difference?

Perth (oz) to Florida (usa) what's the difference?

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

michelledenham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth (oz) to Florida (usa) what's the difference?

We moved to Perth, stayed for 13months, I had another baby and found the Distance thing too hard! Back in UK and hate it. But where too now....
We have PR visas for Australia valid until 2014... We have some frinds there. We know the areas, schools, benefit systems, medical cover, cost of renting and living...
OZ has about a 80%nhs, 20% private health system. I didn't have to pay athing to have my son.. And if one of the kids broke a leg I wouldn't have to pay! The child benefit rate is the same for each child which for 3kids was about $1000 (ozzy dollers) amonth... Cost of living was about the same as in the UK, as some things were cheaper but somethings more expensive. Hubby earned more and got a car with every job he had... Beaches are stunning. Weather was great. Schooling age starts later at 5yrs. They drive on the same side of the road and car insurance was abit cheaper then here!!!! But it's a horrible flight/distance... 20hrs..
So, WHATS IT LIKE IN THE USA, FLORIDA????
All/any help, tips, answers or web-links would be greatly appreciated...
I am looking for nice weather, beaches, slightly slower pace of life, average cost of living, average rentals, good wages, friendly people, not too 'high' crime rates, but most of all A BETTER LIFE FOR US AS A FAMILY & KIDS...
Where would you go?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth (oz) to Florida (usa) what's the difference?

Originally Posted by michelledenham
Hopefully a moderator will move this to the general USA forum as it's not immigration related.

That said, a single hospitalization in the US could quite easily bankrupt you - has happened many time to folks who don't understand that health care is a thriving industry here... and you'll pay several $thousand each month for premiums for the privilege of paying slightly less in costs to the physician or the hospital.

Where would you go?
Since you ask - forget the US, go to Canada.

Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hopefully a moderator will move this to the general USA forum as it's not immigration related.

That said, a single hospitalization in the US could quite easily bankrupt you - has happened many time to folks who don't understand that health care is a thriving industry here... and you'll pay several $thousand each month for premiums for the privilege of paying slightly less in costs to the physician or the hospital.

Ian
I would say Australia.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Hot and humid ...

As far as you will be concerned the US has a 0% NHS 100% private health system.

Health insurance is expensive and even with good health insurance you often still have to pay a percentage of the cost and your annual "out of pocket" medical expenses can easily be several thousand dollars even with the best health plan if you have a hospitalization or other expensive procedure.

Child benefit???

Cost of living varies greatly - some things (gas) are cheaper and some things (auto insurance, healthcare) are (much!) more expensive.

Pay would probably higher that the UK, but company cars are pretty much unheard of in the US.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You've given no basis to suggest you could live and work in the USA. Question is therefore along the lines of whether you would like to be the king of England or Holland.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You've given no basis to suggest you could live and work in the USA. Question is therefore along the lines of whether you would like to be the king of England or Holland.
Yes - so actually the biggest difference between Australia and the US (never mind Perth and Florida) as far as the OP is concerned is that she and her husband (apparently) currently have the right to live and work in Australia but, based on the limited facts provided, they have no right to live and work in the US so they would be well advised to really, really read the REALLY, READ ME: Want to Live & Work in the US? thread before going much further.

In fairness though, it is a bit of a chicken and egg problem - why even bother to research the immigration requirements for a country unless you have at least some idea that you might want to live there ...
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes - so actually the biggest difference between Australia and the US (never mind Perth and Florida) as far as the OP is concerned is that she and her husband (apparently) currently have the right to live and work in Australia but, based on the limited facts provided, they have no right to live and work in the US so they would be well advised to really, really read the REALLY, READ ME: Want to Live & Work in the US? thread before going much further.

In fairness though, it is a bit of a chicken and egg problem - why even bother to research the immigration requirements for a country unless you have at least some idea that you might want to live there ...
In a nutshell!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:50 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Perth, stayed for 13months, I had another baby and found the Distance thing too hard! Back in UK and hate it. But where too now....
We have PR visas for Australia valid until 2014... We have some frinds there. We know the areas, schools, benefit systems, medical cover, cost of renting and living...
OZ has about a 80%nhs, 20% private health system. I didn't have to pay athing to have my son.. And if one of the kids broke a leg I wouldn't have to pay! The child benefit rate is the same for each child which for 3kids was about $1000 (ozzy dollers) amonth... Cost of living was about the same as in the UK, as some things were cheaper but somethings more expensive. Hubby earned more and got a car with every job he had... Beaches are stunning. Weather was great. Schooling age starts later at 5yrs. They drive on the same side of the road and car insurance was abit cheaper then here!!!! But it's a horrible flight/distance... 20hrs..
I am looking for nice weather, beaches, slightly slower pace of life, average cost of living, average rentals, good wages, friendly people, not too 'high' crime rates, but most of all A BETTER LIFE FOR US AS A FAMILY & KIDS...
Where would you go?
I think Florida has alligators (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and Australia has crocodiles.

Seriously, I'd get back to Australia - you have PR - stay long enough to get citizenship (it's called keeping your options open) and then think again.

Any long distance from home is always going to present problems be it 8 hours or 23.

Entering the US isn't easy.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Done
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Where would you go?
You read the links regarding a visa to the US? If you're in with a shot, research more, if not, it's a waste of time.

Personally, stick to mainland Europe, you'll get the weather, the beaches, the slower pace of life, decent cost of living, wages, friendly people and low crime rates as well as being closer to the UK...all without any visa issues or healthcare issues.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:54 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I think Florida has alligators (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and Australia has crocodiles.
Florida has crocs too
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
Several thousand dollars a month? Maybe a few hundred but I doubt that several thousand is normal.

Canada? Great choice but hardly what the OP is looking for in terms of nice weather and beaches.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Several thousand dollars a month? Maybe a few hundred but I doubt that several thousand is normal.
Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but not that far off the mark for decent family plans, once you factor in what the employer is contributing on top...
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but not that far off the mark for decent family plans, once you factor in what the employer is contributing on top...
Our plan cost Dh's employer nearly $22,000 a year just for our family plan, best cover we've ever had in our life.
We only found that out recently when there was talk of being taxed on the value of the plan given to you by employers a while back.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:31 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Florida has crocs too
I'd best point out too that Florida also is home to the fearsome Headless Zombie Titchski Eating snakes.

Luckily, they haven't been about lately, but I know they're there, patiently waiting for me to let my guard down. this will not happen.

hsssssssss

Did you hear something?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.