Reload this Page >

Pension Question

Pension Question

Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

PGen98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension Question

Hi,

I'm actually asking this on behalf of my mother. We're basically looking to find out if she's entitled to a pension from home based on her working career prior to moving out here to the states (we moved in 1995). She's in her 60s now, and she worked from age 14 to her mid 20s, and then once again in her late 30s to early 40s. So essentially, we're trying to find out if the money she paid from her wages towards a pension would still be available to her, and how (if it is) she would go about collecting it, seeing as she now lives in the US. We do still have family at home, but they're also unsure how it would work, or even if she'd still be entitled to it.

Any help we could get on this would be most appreciated, as it's a subject I'm not that friendly with!

Last edited by PGen98; Feb 18th 2009 at 6:19 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:09 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pension Question

Hello
What worked for me is I called the pension service. They were very helpful.

(0191) 21 87777 International code (+44 191)

Email [email protected] .uk

website www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

The land address is

The Pension Service. Tyneview Park
International Pension Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
England

Originally Posted by PGen98
Hi,

I'm actually asking this on behalf of my mother. We're basically looking to find out if she's entitled to a pension from home based on her working career prior to moving out here to the states (we moved in 1995). She's in her 60s now, and she worked from age 14 to her mid 20s, and then once again in her late 30s to early 40s. So essentially, we're trying to find out if the money she paid from her wages towards a pension would still be available to her, and how (if it is) she would go about collecting it, seeing as she now lives in the US. We do still have family at home, but they're also unsure how it would work, or even if she'd still be entitled to it.

Any help we could get on this would be most appreciated, as it's a subject I'm not that friendly with!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If she has made a minimum of 10 years contributions to the UK system she should be entitled to a pension. She would need 30 years contributions to get the full amount. Used to be 40 years for a full pension but that was reduced. My USC wife paid into the UK for 10 years and she can claim her UK pension in a couple of years.

One other thing you might want to check. If she has paid into the US social security but doesn't have the full number of qualify contributions she maybe able to transfer her UK contributions over into the US system to top that one up. As neither of us would qualify for this I haven't gone into the details over than read it can be done.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:49 am
Just Joined

PGen98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
If she has made a minimum of 10 years contributions to the UK system she should be entitled to a pension. She would need 30 years contributions to get the full amount. Used to be 40 years for a full pension but that was reduced. My USC wife paid into the UK for 10 years and she can claim her UK pension in a couple of years.

One other thing you might want to check. If she has paid into the US social security but doesn't have the full number of qualify contributions she maybe able to transfer her UK contributions over into the US system to top that one up. As neither of us would qualify for this I haven't gone into the details over than read it can be done.
Thanks for the replies!

Isabel_7 -- Thanks for that, one of my sisters still lives in the UK and was going to talk to them about it. Still waiting to here their official word on it from her. As it's likely she'll need to call about it herself, that number will definitely come in handy!

lansbury -- Aye, she's made more than 10 years worth of contributions into the UK system, but not quite 30 (after having children she became a housewife and stopped working). She hasn't paid in to the US system, as she hasn't worked in the US. It's good to hear there's a chance she'll get something, though!

I appreciate the helpful responses, thank you!