Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Peculiar American words or sayings

Peculiar American words or sayings

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peculiar American words or sayings

Either/Or = Choosing something, Neither/Nor = Choosing nothing. They are not interchangeable!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nigel
Thanks ... it's good to know we invented everything in the first place. Your post reminded me of "Made in America" by Bill Bryson ... an excellent little book with lots of trivia to ply at parties.

Talking of inventions - it seems to me I learnt/learned that many more inventions came from over in Blighty than the Americans seem to be teaching our kids here. Maybe I'm imagining it? (Could make a good thread).

Glad you mentioned Bill Bryson, Nigel - I've been meaning to do so for ages.
I'm reading his "Notes from a Big Country" which at times spookily reminds me of some of the threads on this forum. Very entertaining, and so easy to relate to his rants on immigration forms, income tax forms, TV adverts, TV in general, and differences in our 2 cultures. His "Mother Tongue" was interesting too, and I have 2 others still to be read.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:16 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I read Notes From a Small Island a while back. Loved it but it made me homesick.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Read Notes From a Big Country, Walk In The Woods and Mother Tongue. All great books.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:46 pm
Make every day count!

Nigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Read Notes From a Big Country, Walk In The Woods and Mother Tongue. All great books.
A Walk In The Woods was a riot ... I started off inspired to walk the AT and by the end had to wonder why anybody would want to!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:50 pm
Make every day count!

Nigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura about

I'm reading his "Notes from a Big Country" which at times spookily reminds me of some of the threads on this forum. Very entertaining, and so easy to relate to his rants on immigration forms, income tax forms, TV adverts, TV in general, and differences in our 2 cultures. His "Mother Tongue" was interesting too, and I have 2 others still to be read.
I think I've read all of his other than Mother Tongue ... working my way through A Short History Of Nearly Everything ... very deep!

My first and still one of my fav's was From Here To There ... I picked it up at Chicago Airport on the way home and laughed for the whole flight - when we landed several passengers asked me what I was reading because they wanted to read whatever it was.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:12 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've read all of his other than Mother Tongue ... working my way through A Short History Of Nearly Everything ... very deep!

My first and still one of my fav's was From Here To There ... I picked it up at Chicago Airport on the way home and laughed for the whole flight - when we landed several passengers asked me what I was reading because they wanted to read whatever it was.

I had picked up Notes From a Small Island some years ago to read on my flight over to the UK. My husband was having some serious abdominal pain during my visit, culminating in us being in not one but two hospital ERs in the wee hours of Easter morning. I knew it was going to be a long wait (Saturday night) so I had grabbed the book which I hadn't started yet. I was sitting back in the exam cubicle with him and started reading. In amongst groans of pain from my husband, I am alternately trying to sooth him and doing some unladylike guffawing thanks to Mr Bryson.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I love Bill Bryson's books and have to admit that I started reading a Short History of Everything but I agree that it is a bit deep. My husband also tried reading it and even he thought it was deep. I do keep picking it up again and reading a few pages in the hope that it gets 'easier' to read.

I liked the line in one of the books about the US Green Card actually being pink.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:51 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Read all of his, has me chuckling in public and getting strange looks

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:52 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

yeah that one falls short a bit, although it still has some good one liners

Originally Posted by mandpete
I love Bill Bryson's books and have to admit that I started reading a Short History of Everything but I agree that it is a bit deep. My husband also tried reading it and even he thought it was deep. I do keep picking it up again and reading a few pages in the hope that it gets 'easier' to read.

I liked the line in one of the books about the US Green Card actually being pink.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:55 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Read all of his, has me chuckling in public and getting strange looks

Love the bit about him walking through a neighborhood in Oz and hearing dogs in the distance, so he takes off running, blundering through dreaded spider web and hitting himself in head to brush off web and anything in it.........classic!!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:14 pm

a quote from 'a short history'

On Thomas Midgley the guy who invented lead additives in petrol

"with an instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncanny, he invented chlorofluorocarbons"

Originally Posted by mandpete

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to see so many Bryson fans ! Your comments have made me determined to buy some more of his works. I brought back 3 (heavily disguised as prezzies for my husband)from my last trip to Manchester , and I gave him Mother Tongue (sounds interesting!! ) when we lived in England. He's a fan too, so it seems Mr Bryson bridges the US/UK divide brilliantly.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:14 pm
Sursum corda

Good to see so many Bryson fans ! Your comments have made me determined to buy some more of his works. I brought back 3 (heavily disguised as prezzies for my husband)from my last trip to Manchester , and I gave him Mother Tongue (sounds interesting!! ) when we lived in England. He's a fan too, so it seems Mr Bryson bridges the US/UK divide brilliantly.

He really does do it well, it's obvious he holds the UK in high regard (that's where he's living again after living in New Hampshire for a few years), but he doesn't mind taking the mickey out of it. In all fairness though, he doesn't hold the US above reproach either. Pretty decent and entertaining balancing act overall.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
He really does do it well, it's obvious he holds the UK in high regard (that's where he's living again after living in New Hampshire for a few years), but he doesn't mind taking the mickey out of it. In all fairness though, he doesn't hold the US above reproach either. Pretty decent and entertaining balancing act overall.
All in all, one of my favourite authors, Tom Sharpe is another one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.