Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

paying tax in the USA

paying tax in the USA

Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:22 am
Just Joined

peterandjanet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default paying tax in the USA

Hi, I have been a taxpayer in the UK all my working life and have retired to the USA for family reasons. After 10 years I became a Naturalized Citizen of the USA and so became liable to be taxed in the USA. Can anybody advise me of what to do to avoid being taxed in the UK and the USA?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: paying tax in the USA

Originally Posted by peterandjanet
Hi, I have been a taxpayer in the UK all my working life and have retired to the USA for family reasons. After 10 years I became a Naturalized Citizen of the USA and so became liable to be taxed in the USA. Can anybody advise me of what to do to avoid being taxed in the UK and the USA?
We ask all new members to have a quick read of the site rules https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ and should you have any site related problems please contct one of te moderators, names are in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.
as your question is USA specific could you please ask the question in the USA forum as this forum id really only for introductions.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/
Old Dec 5th 2018, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

On what basis were you in the USA for the 10 years before naturalization? Your liability for US tax did not start when you became a citizen. It is likely that you should have been completing US tax returns for many years.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

peterandjanet is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a resident alien with a green card. I was paying tax under a reciprocal arrangement and my advice from the IRS booklet which stated that any income I earned in the USA was taxable after reaching the threshold. That never happened.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not sure of the steps to take, consult a CPA.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I was a resident alien with a green card. I was paying tax under a reciprocal arrangement and my advice from the IRS booklet which stated that any income I earned in the USA was taxable after reaching the threshold. That never happened.
As a legal permanent resident you were to file a tax return annually and declare any and all worldwide income, not just income earned in the US. You can file back taxes with the IRS. Consult with a tax accountant as to your responsibilities on how to file both this coming year's taxes and back taxes.

PS Income includes all earnings on savings, etc.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our US forum, as the Welcome Inn is purely for new members to introduce themselves.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

A US resident is required to report worldwide income and gains and file (possibly) various informational returns. If these were omitted or incorrect you may wish to use the IRS SDOP to minimise risk.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 6:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your question you need to complete this form https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ndividual-2002 and send it to the IRS with form 8802. The full instructions are part of the form linked in this post.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
To answer your question you need to complete this form https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ndividual-2002 and send it to the IRS with form 8802. The full instructions are part of the form linked in this post.
That would be to declare to the IRS that he has been living in the US for over 10 years, at which point they will realize that he has never completed a tax form - definitely not advisable in this instance. The OP needs to take professional advice as to how to proceed and minimize the risk involved in his failure to report.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

There's no statute of limitations on taxes due from a failure to file a tax return, so I certainly agree the OP is in need of professional advice as to their liability, if any. With luck, their UK taxes paid may offset any US federal tax liability. Informational returns would still be problematic though, as likely would be state taxes if OP resides in a state with a state income tax.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 6:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
That would be to declare to the IRS that he has been living in the US for over 10 years, at which point they will realize that he has never completed a tax form - definitely not advisable in this instance. The OP needs to take professional advice as to how to proceed and minimize the risk involved in his failure to report.
I just answered the question asked. I presumed he would taken on board the advice already given by others, in the thread, to seek professional advice.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps he will come back to get the answers.