Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying tax in UK on J1 earnings

Paying tax in UK on J1 earnings

Old Mar 29th 2018, 12:50 am
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
leifeng75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying tax in UK on J1 earnings

Hi, hope you can help me.

I am a UK citizen based in the US for nine-months on a visiting fellowship (J1 Visa), from Sept 2017 to May 2018. For tax purposes, I am resident in the UK.

First question: will I need to declare my US-earned income in a HMRC self-assessment at some stage? I think I do but I just wanted to double check.

Second question: if so, is it possible to claim any deductions?

When my institute in the US calculated my salary, they included specific portions for accommodation, plane tickets and living costs, and this was deducted from my overall taxable gross pay, making my federal tax return (which I believe will be rebated anyway) quite small (I believe this is called 'withholding allowance) When I declare my US income to HMRC, will I be able to declare this reduced amount (excluding my living expenses in the US, etc.), or will I simply have to declare the full amount of all money received?

Any help would be much appreciated.
leifeng75 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.