Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying a domestic helper

Paying a domestic helper

Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying a domestic helper

Originally Posted by Boiler
Photo, or it is not happening.

I get the impression most are paid cash in hand and documentation may be an issue.
Most, most likely. I don't intend doing anything that raises red flags to the IRS, let alone illegal.

Photo, well, probably laws against that too! Suffice to say my choice was actually less pretty than the wife's choice, bizarrely. Clearly yet to learn the rule of always finding someone less pretty than yourself. And my choice may well have passed the elbow/wall test , not that that particular feature is something too appealing to me.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So no Paz Vega?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

So no Paz Vega?
<Googles> Not bad. Mind you, apparently 5yo DS did say "she's more sexy [than the previous candidate]". Goodness knows where he got that from, certainly not me.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Of course not....................
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course not....................
You mean you call your wife sexy after you married her?!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:40 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I was just corresponding with a prospective marriage-based immigrant who worked as a nanny "under the table" for a prominent US family, in the US. She knows her status was questionable and is ready to deal with that, but now she is faced with putting down her employment and residence on the immigration forms, and she can't lie. So now the family will get named, and it can't be helped. I personally wouldn't want to cause myself the hassle of being questioned about my employment of an undocumented housekeeper or nanny if they later seek proper status. Similarly I wouldn't want to get in trouble for not arranging taxes and liability insurance properly if the employee later wants to, say, file for unemployment.

Last edited by Speedwell; Apr 18th 2013 at 1:44 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I was just corresponding with a prospective marriage-based immigrant who worked as a nanny "under the table" for a prominent US family, in the US. She knows her status was questionable and is ready to deal with that, but now she is faced with putting down her employment and residence on the immigration forms, and she can't lie. So now the family will get named, and it can't be helped. I personally wouldn't want to cause myself the hassle of being questioned about my employment of an undocumented housekeeper or nanny if they later seek proper status. Similarly I wouldn't want to get in trouble for not arranging taxes and liability insurance properly if the employee later wants to, say, file for unemployment.
If she is undocumented she can not file for unemployment.

I have seen plenty of cases where the prior employer has provided actual assistance in obtaining documentation, for whatever reason I have never come across any consequences.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:05 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

If she is undocumented she can not file for unemployment.
True. I meant to refer to a case where my helper was in legal status but I had not done the proper paperwork to hire or pay them.

I have seen plenty of cases where the prior employer has provided actual assistance in obtaining documentation, for whatever reason I have never come across any consequences.
Good to know that.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

We've done the verification thing, she's all-American born and bred (and legal to work, the relevant bit).

Yes, even though the contract may well have said "contractor" and not "employee" it is apparently the substance of the contract that is taken into account, not the words used. So she would be my employee no matter how the contract is worded because of the tests Penguinsix posted links to earlier. So I don't want to leave myself open to that coming back to haunt me!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:08 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i actually have a childminder in my home.

I pay her and withold her ssn and medicare but i don't her withhold taxes at all. this was her choice and my accountant says its okay. i do have to pay ohio unemployment tax for her too.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You've never heard of Nannygate? Several of Clinton's appointees (one for Attorney General) were withdrawn when it was discovered that they either hired illegal aliens or didn't pay social security and medicare taxes for their household workers. Also several senators and congressmen have been accused of the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nannygate

I think the rich and/or powerful think laws are made for other people just the like the ex French Minister in charge of cracking down on tax fraud was caught having a secret Swiss bank account.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-french-mini...-business.html

Last edited by Michael; Apr 19th 2013 at 5:35 am.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
I think the rich and/or powerful think laws are made for other people just the like the ex French Minister in charge of cracking down on tax fraud was caught having a secret Swiss bank account.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-french-mini...-business.html
A bit like the UK Border Agency hiring illegal workers.
Old May 8th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

We have an applicant says she has a temporary SSN which I thought was a bit odd. She arrived in the US a few months ago and married an American while in the US (not a spur of the moment thing!). I've yet to see any documentation but looking at the I-9 form I'm also not allowed to ask for it before offering a job! I'm also not allowed to ask about visas but I'm guessing from the description it would be a K-1 visa? And that they may or may not be employment-authorised depending on EAD or GC status?

I'm just confused on what I can ask to see if she hasn't received (for example) the physical green card, EAD card, or SSN card. For some reason I thought an employer could call some phone line to verify but I can't find details.
Old May 8th 2013, 5:41 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
We want to use the services of a childminder/home help and the candidate has broached the idea of her being self employed - I pay her without withholding anything and she sorts out the taxes, medicare, California stuff, etc etc. Is this allowed? All I can find is http://www.irs.gov/publications/p926/ar02.html which tells me what I need to do if I sort out the taxes, but not whether she can do it herself.

Thanks.
be very careful, if she's an independent contractor, you can not dictate her hours. If you do, she can claim later that you are her employer. You have to complete a 1099 for anyone you pay more than $600 a year to for tax purposes.

If she were to have an accident at work, or anything else, you could still be on the hook for the expenses of it.
Old May 8th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
be very careful, if she's an independent contractor, you can not dictate her hours. If you do, she can claim later that you are her employer. You have to complete a 1099 for anyone you pay more than $600 a year to for tax purposes.

If she were to have an accident at work, or anything else, you could still be on the hook for the expenses of it.
Gave up on that one - she wanted to be paid under the table basically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.