Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying back my English student loan

Paying back my English student loan

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying back my English student loan

Can I ask the OP...do you intend to pay it sometime or would you prefer it disappear?

It's easy to take the high horse but I don't know what I'd do in your position.
I do think it could cause trouble in the future though, depending on your plans.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Don't have a degree (gasp/shock horror), but have had plenty of other debts/expenses which have been responsible for.

I'm not in the mood for a rant either - so lets agree to disagree
Well I can kind of see the attitude of saying sod it.

If any other business tried changing their terms and conditions without you agreeing to them it would be illegal.

My loan went from being interest free, except inflation at graduation that changed a couple years in to being back dated from day one, with inflation being at least double what inflation ever was. Then add in that the threshold for repayments doesn't consider local cost of living and salary threshold ends up being much lower for the US than many/most other countries.

And just dealing with the SLC, the biggest incompetent entity next to USCIS, I can see how people get frustrated with it, especially when they don't make it easy for you, not allowing a deposit from a foreign account so adding extra steps etc.

I'm having a double grumble as I got the really shitty grant in the first year and folks in that year were supposed to keep the grant for the following two years, but it got cut during the first year instead. Would have done a gap year if I'd have known they were going to screw it up so completely
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm having a double grumble as I got the really shitty grant in the first year and folks in that year were supposed to keep the grant for the following two years, but it got cut during the first year instead. Would have done a gap year if I'd have known they were going to screw it up so completely
You must be the same age as me, because the exact same thing happened to me. The grant didn't even cover the first term's accommodation, and didn't even come through until well into the first term, despite applying well ahead of time. Then fees appeared and shot up each year, based on what my parents earnt but they didn't give me anything to cover them. Then there was the "If you haven't paid back the loan within 20 years then everything owed at that point is no longer owed". Not sure what happened to that!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
You must be the same age as me, because the exact same thing happened to me. The grant didn't even cover the first term's accommodation, and didn't even come through until well into the first term, despite applying well ahead of time. Then fees appeared and shot up each year, based on what my parents earnt but they didn't give me anything to cover them. Then there was the "If you haven't paid back the loan within 20 years then everything owed at that point is no longer owed". Not sure what happened to that!
Aye, I got lucky on not having to pay additional tuition fees only because my mother is a widower and wasn't earning the threshold amount...but it was a close run thing from making things a lot tougher through uni.

Tony Blair really screwed it up for everyone in those years
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:19 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
If you ever plan on going back to live in the UK, I would get the wheels in motion to start paying back the loan. If you move back they will catch up with you eventually, and it will only be a bigger pain in the neck, and more expensive.

You could live like Ronnie Biggs, as Fatbrit seems to be suggesting you do, but I wouldn't...
My thoughts too. As others have mentioned, the interest rate is no longer negliglible and if you just leave it and then go back to the UK you may find it's actually added quite a lot to the loan.

If you are going to pay it off, it's well worth overpaying each month. It will be far cheaper in the long term.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Thank you

Last edited by Ryan NI; Jul 9th 2013 at 7:45 pm.