Passports

Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passports

Hi all not sure if this is the correct part of the site to ask this question.

I have recently become a US citizen and am looking to get a US passport, but I also need to renew my Bristish passport also. On the renewal forms for the British passport it states if you possess the nationality or citizenship of another country you may lose this when aquiring a Bristish passport.

Has anyone been in a simliar position and if so what did you do to avoid losing your US citizenship and keeping your British ctizenship?

Thank you,

Kris
Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports

You did not lose your British citizenship when you became a US citizen and you won't lose your US citizenship when you renew your British passport.

You would not lose your US citizenship even if you were just acquiring a British passport.

Lots of people on this forum have dual citizenship.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So many threads on this.

Anyway, to add to the above, if you get your US passport, all you need to do is send a photocopy of it when you get your Brit passport, but on a renewal I don't think you need to even do that.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KrisL1
On the renewal forms for the British passport it states if you possess the nationality or citizenship of another country you may lose this when aquiring a Bristish passport.
Two pivotal words both bolded and underlined! The word "may" is different from "will", and you're not acquiring a British passport... you're renewing it. Your US citizenship is not in jeopardy at all.

Ian
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much all for helping me out and pointing things out to me that I missed and did not realise.

Again apologies if the originated post was in the wrong forum and also I did not realize this was a well trodden path of the same or similar posts.