Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport returned (we were away for 5 days). What Now?

Passport returned (we were away for 5 days). What Now?

Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Janesatelier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport returned (we were away for 5 days). What Now?

So, I return last night after camping for 5 days to find UPS have returned my Passport as undeliverable. For god's sake, it was less than a month - it wasn't supposed to come yet.

What the hell happens now? How do I get it back?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport returned (we were away for 5 days). What Now?

Originally Posted by Janesatelier
So, I return last night after camping for 5 days to find UPS have returned my Passport as undeliverable. For god's sake, it was less than a month - it wasn't supposed to come yet.

What the hell happens now? How do I get it back?
What passport? A British Passport, a U.S. Passport, a Upper Voltan Passport?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A UK passport? Call the careline number>?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Passport returned (we were away for 5 days). What Now?

Originally Posted by Bob
A UK passport? Call the careline number>?
Sounds easy doesn't it? But I do not have a Land Line and Cell and Voip in the US do not support calls to a 900#.

My two neighbours do not have land lines. The three that do, have 900#'s blocked (I tried them all in the past 2 days). I'm now out of neighbours.

Any other ideas? Is there any other contact info? There has to be another way of contacting them.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 3:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds easy doesn't it? But I do not have a Land Line and Cell and Voip in the US do not support calls to a 900#.

My two neighbours do not have land lines. The three that do, have 900#'s blocked (I tried them all in the past 2 days). I'm now out of neighbours.

Any other ideas? Is there any other contact info? There has to be another way of contacting them.
Try Careline's direct dial number +44 208 495 8079. They have probably started charging again now so you might need to have a credit card handy to pay them.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:12 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

You could buy a calling card and use a pay phone. Awkward and not the best value but it does the job. I did this to contact my UK bank once in an emergency.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
Try Careline's direct dial number +44 208 495 8079. They have probably started charging again now so you might need to have a credit card handy to pay them.
Unfortunately, that number is now a recorded message that directs me back to the 900 #.

But thanks for trying.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by avanutria
You could buy a calling card and use a pay phone. Awkward and not the best value but it does the job. I did this to contact my UK bank once in an emergency.
It's a good idea, if I could find a payphone. I'll have a drive around and see if there are any.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, that number is now a recorded message that directs me back to the 900 #.

But thanks for trying.
Try + 44 208 082 4721 or 44 208 082 4727. The last number is on the High Commission web site in OZ so should be good.

Last edited by lansbury; Sep 13th 2011 at 7:03 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Try + 44 208 082 4721.

The original number is still on the UK Embassy web site, again they are not updating it.
Same deal there. That was the original # I called. Just a recorded message providing the 900#

I mailed an overnight letter today, but I really want to talk to someone.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:29 pm

Same deal there. That was the original # I called. Just a recorded message providing the 900#

I mailed an overnight letter today, but I really want to talk to someone.
I was trying to find the old 0845 number which can often be converted to a normal number, and came across those numbers. I can't find it quoted anywhere so perhaps they have stopped the phoning the UK except via a local premium line.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Try + 44 208 082 4721 or 44 208 082 4727. The last number is on the High Commission web site in OZ so should be good.
The second OZ number worked!!!! I got Ian and he is emailing the Embassy (who will email me with a new tracking number).

I should have my passport by next Mon.

I'd tried all the US consulates, they all linked back to the same 900#. I never thought of trying OZ.

You are brilliant! Absolutely brilliant.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:00 pm

The second OZ number worked!!!! I got Ian and he is emailing the Embassy (who will email me with a new tracking number).

I should have my passport by next Mon.

I'd tried all the US consulates, they all linked back to the same 900#. I never thought of trying OZ.

You are brilliant! Absolutely brilliant.
I modestly accept the accolade, glad it helped
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Just received a call from the Embassy in Washington - my passport is on its way and should be here by Friday.

I brought to the attention of the young lady, the problems I had contacting the Care Line. Informed her that all cell phones and VOIP services in the States are permanently blocked from 900#'s and that over 20% of the US no longer have landlines (me included). She was totally unaware that the Care Line system had been changed, seemed to acknowledge the problem and said she would make sure a regular working number was included. We'll see....

Meanwhile, OZ has it, and the number is 44 208 082 4727

Thanks again for your help