Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal problems dual citizen - need advice

Passport renewal problems dual citizen - need advice

Old May 20th 2023, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal problems dual citizen - need advice

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Thanks for the link!
Old May 21st 2023, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

You can have different legal names in different countries, as some countries do not follow the English naming. My youngest has a note in the passport explaining that the name in the other passport is different.
I'm the only one in my family that has a consistent name, so renewal is always fun.

Japan does not allow middle names, which causes my kid's name differences compared to US/UK name.

Ian
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

stephaniehw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick update for those interested.
I applied for a couple of certified copies of my birth "registration" from GRO. Seems its expedited if you apply from overseas and sent DHL to USA so it was expensive at GBP85. Took 4 days from ordering online to receiving it in AZ and 4 days earlier than promised. Funnily enough when it arrived it was sent from HMPO - go figure. FYI it needed to be signed for. Anyway, I got one copy in the mail back to HMPO that afternoon via USPS registered (UK doesn't recognize USPS priority) and it got to HMPO at 2.38pm today (one week). At 3.40pm I received a text from them so say they have approved my application and will let me know when my passport is ready to send.
Good luck to those in similar situations.
Now if I could just locate my National Insurance Number LOL.
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 3:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephaniehw
Quick update for those interested.
I applied for a couple of certified copies of my birth "registration" from GRO. Seems its expedited if you apply from overseas and sent DHL to USA so it was expensive at GBP85. Took 4 days from ordering online to receiving it in AZ and 4 days earlier than promised. Funnily enough when it arrived it was sent from HMPO - go figure. FYI it needed to be signed for. Anyway, I got one copy in the mail back to HMPO that afternoon via USPS registered (UK doesn't recognize USPS priority) and it got to HMPO at 2.38pm today (one week). At 3.40pm I received a text from them so say they have approved my application and will let me know when my passport is ready to send.
Good luck to those in similar situations.
Now if I could just locate my National Insurance Number LOL.
https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Old Jun 2nd 2023, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

stephaniehw is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BritInParis - I did try that but it is asking for a postal code and if I try my last one from 1989 the computer says "No". I'm trying to call them but they hang up if they are busy and ask you to call back. I'll keep trying. Can't believe I didnt keep it somewhere.
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 4:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephaniehw
Thanks BritInParis - I did try that but it is asking for a postal code and if I try my last one from 1989 the computer says "No". I'm trying to call them but they hang up if they are busy and ask you to call back. I'll keep trying. Can't believe I didnt keep it somewhere.
If you can get through to them on the phone then they’re usually very helpful. I’d give a go later.