Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport question!!!!

Passport question!!!!

Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

calmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nice
Default Passport question!!!!

Hi, I am a new member of this site and just wondered if anyone can answer a question for me.

I have recently got my Green Card, SSN, driving lisence etc....but the only thing left for me to do is change my maiden name to my married name on my UK passport. Can I go to the UK Embassy in LA to do this or do I have to apply for a new passport from Washington? My present passport still has 7 years left on it, so I dont really need to get a completly new one and loose all those years......

Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport question!!!!

You can have the name changed in your current passport, but all matters relating to passports have to go to the passport center in Washington.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by calmouse
Hi, I am a new member of this site and just wondered if anyone can answer a question for me.

I have recently got my Green Card, SSN, driving lisence etc....but the only thing left for me to do is change my maiden name to my married name on my UK passport. Can I go to the UK Embassy in LA to do this or do I have to apply for a new passport from Washington? My present passport still has 7 years left on it, so I dont really need to get a completly new one and loose all those years......

Thanks
Well I changed mine when I traveled back to the UK. I just took along my marriage certificate with me on the flight. They looked at my Green card.....my passport and marriage cert. No problems then I went to the Passport office in Liverpool and changed my name. So if you are planning a trip to the UK that may still be an option, otherwise I think it will have to be sent off to Washington.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

calmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nicecalmouse is just really nice

Thanks for the information. I had a feelng that I would have to send my passport to Washington for name change but the instuctions are a bit evasive to say the least and there is no way I was going to pay the outrageous cost of the passport phone line just to find out what I needed to do!!!!
The one thing that I have found maddening is that the supposedly "British Embassy" site seems to be more geared towards giving information to the people who want to visit the UK rather than a source of information for us Expats living here.......anyone feel the same?