Reload this Page >

Passport question

Passport question

Old Mar 6th 2002, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

crashcringle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport question

Hello,

I've got another question. Hope you guys can help. My husband and I are still waiting for our marriage certificate in order to apply for the I-130, AOS, etc. Hopefully, we'll receive it next week. In the meantime, my passport will be expiring in May. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and renew my passport now or wait until we submit all our paperwork to the INS. Or it makes no difference at all? Please help. Tks

Jeanie
Old Mar 6th 2002, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport question

You haven't said what your country of citizenship is, but I'm assuming it's UK given that you are posting from British Expats.

You need your marriage certificate to get a new passport, so you will at least have to wait until this arrives. After that, it only takes a week or two for the passport to be issued.

You will really need to have a passport with a decent time left to run on it in order to complete the INS processing. Therefore it only makes sense that you should get your passport in order before applying for AOS.

You can get info on how to apply for a British passport and forms from http://www.britainusa.com
Old Mar 6th 2002, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget that - I just figured out that you are not British.
Old Mar 6th 2002, 7:05 pm
Bruce

Your letter doesn't explain the situation. If you need a visa, the passport must be
renewed prior to a visa being issued. (must have six months remaing) You can't file
both AOS and I-130 now. AOS is filed only if in the States and I-130 should be filled
only if abroad.

crashcringle wrote:

> Hello,
    >
    > I've got another question. Hope you guys can help. My husband and I are still
    > waiting for our marriage certificate in order to apply for the I-130, AOS, etc.
    > Hopefully, we'll receive it next week. In the meantime, my passport will be
    > expiring in May. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and renew my passport now
    > or wait until we submit all our paperwork to the INS. Or it makes no difference at
    > all? Please help. Tks
    >
    > Jeanie
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 6th 2002, 7:35 pm
Andy Platt

Rubbish. An I-130 can be filed stateside. The vast majority are.

Andy (adjusting status, pending I-485 submitted concurrently with the I-130 at the
Arlington INS office).

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Bruce"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Your letter doesn't explain the situation. If you need a visa, the passport must be
    > renewed prior to a visa being issued. (must have six months remaing) You can't file
    > both AOS and I-130 now. AOS is filed only if in the States and I-130 should be
    > filled only if abroad.
    >
    > crashcringle wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I've got another question. Hope you guys can help. My husband and I are still
    > > waiting for our marriage certificate in order to apply for the I-130, AOS, etc.
    > > Hopefully, we'll receive it next week. In the meantime, my passport will be
    > > expiring in May. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and renew my passport now
    > > or wait until we submit all our paperwork to the INS. Or it makes no difference
    > > at all? Please help. Tks
    > >
    > > Jeanie
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 6th 2002, 9:05 pm
Bruce

Yes most I-130petitions are submitted statesside, but most sumbit for wifes abroad.
The is nothing wrong with filling both, BUT IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

Andy Platt wrote:

> Rubbish. An I-130 can be filed stateside. The vast majority are.
    >
    > Andy (adjusting status, pending I-485 submitted concurrently with the I-130 at the
    > Arlington INS office).
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Bruce"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Your letter doesn't explain the situation. If you need a visa, the passport must
    > > be renewed prior to a visa being issued. (must have six months remaing) You can't
    > > file both AOS and I-130 now. AOS is filed only if in the States and I-130 should
    > > be filled only if abroad.
    > >
    > > crashcringle wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I've got another question. Hope you guys can help. My husband and I are still
    > > > waiting for our marriage certificate in order to apply for the I-130, AOS, etc.
    > > > Hopefully, we'll receive it next week. In the meantime, my passport will be
    > > > expiring in May. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and renew my passport
    > > > now or wait until we submit all our paperwork to the INS. Or it makes no
    > > > difference at all? Please help. Tks
    > > >
    > > > Jeanie
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 6th 2002, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

kwisking will become famous soon enough

Its not a waste of money in fact its the correct way to proceed if the non-citizen is already in the US on a work visa, student visa or as a tourist. Look at any immigration site, that's how its done. I realize you didn't know this fact but do us all a favor and don't jump to conculsions without getting your facts straight.

As for the Passport issue, it would be best to renew your passport after you file because you will need it to file and for Canadians at least you have to send them your old passport to get a new one and it takes about a month. Here's a link to the Canadian Passport website if you need it.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/passport/
Old Mar 6th 2002, 9:35 pm
Mrs Blackross

um, in many cases, you HAVE to file an I-130 along with the I-485 from within the US.

such as when you enter the US as a visitor/student/H1-B, marry a USC and stay in the
country while adjusting your visa status. you CAN'T get an I-485 approved without an
available visa number, and when filing for a spouse, the I-130 is the required form.

"Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Yes most I-130petitions are submitted statesside, but most sumbit for
wifes
    > abroad. The is nothing wrong with filling both, BUT IT IS A WASTE OF
MONEY!
    >
    > Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    > > Rubbish. An I-130 can be filed stateside. The vast majority are.
    > >
    > > Andy (adjusting status, pending I-485 submitted concurrently with the
I-130
    > > at the Arlington INS office).
    > >
    > > --
    > > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Bruce"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Your letter doesn't explain the situation. If you need a visa, the passport
    > > > must be renewed prior to a visa being issued. (must have six months remaing)
    > > > You can't file both AOS and I-130 now. AOS is filed
only
    > > > if in the States and I-130 should be filled only if abroad.
    > > >
    > > > crashcringle wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Hello,
    > > > >
    > > > > I've got another question. Hope you guys can help. My husband and I are still
    > > > > waiting for our marriage certificate in order to apply for the I-130, AOS,
    > > > > etc. Hopefully, we'll receive it next week. In the meantime, my passport will
    > > > > be expiring in May. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and renew my
    > > > > passport now or wait until we
submit
    > > > > all our paperwork to the INS. Or it makes no difference at all?
Please
    > > > > help. Tks
    > > > >
    > > > > Jeanie
    > > > >
    > > > > --
    > > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

Old Mar 7th 2002, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

crashcringle is an unknown quantity at this point

Tks for your replies. My country of citizenship is Taiwan. I entered the US as a student. My main concern about renewing my passport is that my student visa will be on the old passport then, so will that create any problems with the INS since that visa will no longer be valid? Or it doesn't matter since we'll be applying for AOS, I-130, etc.? Also, (now this is going to be confusing) I was born and raised in Malaysia. So the name on my birth certificate is spelled differently from my passport due to the dialect that we spoke there. In Taiwan, the national language used is Mandarin, so therefore, they pronounce my name differently, thus spelled differently. So now when we submit all the forms, do I have to include my Malaysian picture ID just to prove that I'm the same person on the birth certificate? Sorry for the confusion but any suggestions/comments will be much appreciated. Tks
Old Mar 19th 2002, 4:05 pm
Maria.Kirwan

Many Thanks Maria

crashcringle wrote:

> Hello,
    >
    > I've got another question. Hope you guys can help. My husband and I are still
    > waiting for our marriage certificate in order to apply for the I-130, AOS, etc.
    > Hopefully, we'll receive it next week. In the meantime, my passport will be
    > expiring in May. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and renew my passport now
    > or wait until we submit all our paperwork to the INS. Or it makes no difference at
    > all? Please help. Tks
    >
    > Jeanie
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com