Reload this Page >

Passport Photo

Passport Photo

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 6:23 am
Just Joined

nashafi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Photo

Hello,

Passport photo size for UK is 45*35 MM but all shops in USA print a 45 * 45 mm photo. Where do i get a photo done that is accepted by UK Passport office in USA ? I tried costco and walgreens and they dont do that.

Thanks/ Nauman

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Photo

Originally Posted by nashafi
Hello,

Passport photo size for UK is 45*35 MM but all shops in USA print a 45 * 45 mm photo. Where do i get a photo done that is accepted by UK Passport office in USA ? I tried costco and walgreens and they dont do that.

Thanks/ Nauman
Walgreens do do it, it is just that their staff often don't know. They have settings for most passport photos on their equipment. I believe CVS do as well.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 1:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
. I believe CVS do as well.
They do. I had my US passport photo taken there recently, and during the process I watched the clerk choose US from a dropdown menu of countries that included the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

MariaKW is an unknown quantity at this point

You can take it yourself using your mobile and upload it to the online application form. There is a short video demonstrating how to do it. It is very easy.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried Costco, Walgreen and CVS and was met with various levels of incompetence and ignorance as far as non US passport sizes. I ultimately took my own and used an online app to create a photo. It created a grid of 3x2 UK sized photos on a 6x4 photo which I then took to CVS to get printed out (my printer was out of ink otherwise I'm sure that would have worked).

Cut them to size, sent the passport renewals off for the kids, and passports came back 3 weeks later (and that was over the Christmas holidays) with no problems.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nashafi
Hello,

Thanks/ Nauman
There is no UK passport office in the US.

All passport applications/renewals are processed in the UK. You either mail the application there or (much easier) do it online using a photo uploaded from your phone. The web site will check it immediately and tell you if it is good enough.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 6:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Walgreens do do it, it is just that their staff often don't know. They have settings for most passport photos on their equipment. I believe CVS do as well.
Originally Posted by Nutmegger
They do. I had my US passport photo taken there recently, and during the process I watched the clerk choose US from a dropdown menu of countries that included the UK.
I wish you would stop repeating this as blanket advice. It is true at SOME locations, but not all. I visited two CVS and a Walgreens and I stood next to their staff as we scrolled through ALL the menus on the machine, one menu after another, safe in the knowledge, per BE, that UK/non-US settings were in there somewhere. .... They were NOT.

​​​​​​​And my experience was previously confirmed by Lansbury, who having previously got UK passport pictures from a Walgreens discovered that when he went back the photo processing machine had been changed and the UK/foreign menu options no longer existed.

​​​​​​​FWIW I got US-spec photos from CVS and trimmed off the white areas down the sides, and they were accepted without delay or question by the UK passport office.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 23rd 2019 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 10:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wish you would stop repeating this as blanket advice. It is true at SOME locations, but not all. I visited two CVS and a Walgreens and I stood next to their staff as we scrolled through ALL the menus on the machine, one menu after another, safe in the knowledge, per BE, that UK/non-US settings were in there somewhere. .... They were NOT.

And my experience was previously confirmed by Lansbury, who having previously got UK passport pictures from a Walgreens discovered that when he went back the photo processing machine had been changed and the UK/foreign menu options no longer existed.

​​​​​​​FWIW I got US-spec photos from CVS and trimmed off the white areas down the sides, and they were accepted without delay or question by the UK passport office.
Nowhere was it stated that EVERY branch of Walgreens or CVS offers the service.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 1:40 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

just send american sized photos. They use the same facial dimension - the US just prefers a square picture so it has more background on either side of your head, The UK service just cuts down the picture to the size they need. ive renewed multiple passports over the years doing this and its never an issue. The UK website used to even say DONT CUT them in the page.

If you are eligible to apply ONLINE - you may be able to upload a photo direct into the website - i was able to do this and the ONLY thing i had to send to the UK was the exoiring passport.
i also sent in US passport photos in the mail for my son too within the last month or so and had NO ISSUES (had to send the photos rather tyhan upload as they wanted new ones due to his changing looks)
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:03 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MariaKW
You can take it yourself using your mobile and upload it to the online application form. There is a short video demonstrating how to do it. It is very easy.
I just did this a couple of weeks ago to renew my UK PP. It took a few attempts for the system to accept my photo. I sent my old PP off (without the requested copies of my US passport), regular mail, and got an email a few days ago that my docs were received. Awaiting to see if anything is amiss.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

$136 plus $4 international fee

Last edited by RICH; Jan 26th 2019 at 2:29 am. Reason: added link & cost
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 2:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I just did this a couple of weeks ago to renew my UK PP. It took a few attempts for the system to accept my photo. I sent my old PP off (without the requested copies of my US passport), regular mail, and got an email a few days ago that my docs were received. Awaiting to see if anything is amiss.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

$136 plus $4 international fee
My new PP has been printed and mailed. it is now in the hands of DHL. the tracking indicated it would be delivered by end of day today, but I just called at 10pm and it will be monday. I am off on friday so they agreed to deliver it on friday so I can sign for it. change of delivery to work address is not allowed.