Reload this Page >

Passport with J1 Visa Stamp Stolen

Passport with J1 Visa Stamp Stolen

Old Feb 19th 2016, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

alientrooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Passport with J1 Visa Stamp Stolen

Hello,

As stated by the title, my passport was stolen within around 24 hours of being in the US - not a great start (this was last week).

Since then, I have:
-Reported incident to local police
-Reported passport as stolen and filled out LS-01 form and it is set to reach the office in Durham, UK via mail sometime next week.
-Tried to call different organisations to ask for advice.
-Attempted to apply for a local driving license but was rejected due to the lack of passport.

When the new passport is sent to me, it will no longer have the visa inside. I understand that the likely solution to gain a new J1 visa would be to go through the entire process again, which I am unable to afford; time-wise I am only around for 6 months or so and the visa process takes around 2 months alone from what I remember, including a visit to the London Embassy...

I want to just ask what all of you recommend and anything that I can do to help ease this situation. It's surprising that there is no infrastructure in place to help replace a J1 visa.

Any help greatly appreciated; currently in a bit of a panic being in a location as a young individual, where I do not know anybody and family are back in the UK but have to stay in the US to fulfill my university requirements.

Thanks; any help would be really useful.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Passport with J1 Visa Stamp Stolen

Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa

Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.

Report it to US Embassy in London (im assuming this is where you got your visa), I would ring them and ask there advice.. worst case it may need a trip home and a week at home, once your replacement passport arrives

Last edited by nick.simpson19; Feb 19th 2016 at 5:14 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 5:11 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need a new visa?
Old Feb 19th 2016, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alientrooper
Hello,

As stated by the title, my passport was stolen within around 24 hours of being in the US - not a great start (this was last week).

Since then, I have:
-Reported incident to local police
-Reported passport as stolen and filled out LS-01 form and it is set to reach the office in Durham, UK via mail sometime next week.
-Tried to call different organisations to ask for advice.
-Attempted to apply for a local driving license but was rejected due to the lack of passport.

When the new passport is sent to me, it will no longer have the visa inside. I understand that the likely solution to gain a new J1 visa would be to go through the entire process again, which I am unable to afford; time-wise I am only around for 6 months or so and the visa process takes around 2 months alone from what I remember, including a visit to the London Embassy...

I want to just ask what all of you recommend and anything that I can do to help ease this situation. It's surprising that there is no infrastructure in place to help replace a J1 visa.

Any help greatly appreciated; currently in a bit of a panic being in a location as a young individual, where I do not know anybody and family are back in the UK but have to stay in the US to fulfill my university requirements.

Thanks; any help would be really useful.
I don't actually think you need a new visa unless you plan to re-enter asking for the same status. Then i don't know what the game is, others here know better.

You maintain your 'status' without having a sticker inside a passport. That was just for entry.

Do you already have student ID in the U.S., or applied for it? Hopefully no-one will 'need' to see your J-1 stamp in that case. Do you still have your separate DS-2019 form?

Last edited by neill; Feb 19th 2016 at 5:43 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Originally Posted by neill
I don't actually think you need a new visa unless you plan to re-enter asking for the same status. Then i don't know what the game is, others here know better.

You maintain your 'status' without having a sticker inside a passport. That was just for entry.
I suspect the primary need is for something that has the OP's proof of status for the purposes of obtaining a driving license.

Would a print out of the electronic I-94 suffice?

May be too late for the OP but good advice is to always have a scan or photocopy of your passport and visa pages in a safe place (or carry the copy and lock up the passport except when needed).
Old Feb 19th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, best solution is to go get I-94 from CBP - hopefully OP knows their stolen Passport details.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nick.simpson19
Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa

Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.

Report it to US Embassy in London (im assuming this is where you got your visa), I would ring them and ask there advice.. worst case it may need a trip home and a week at home, once your replacement passport arrives
They will be closed at this moment in time but could perhaps call on Monday morning?
I was planning to get a drivers license so if I am stopped I do not get any big sanctions, or the company I am interning with as part of my degree in the UK.

Do you already have student ID in the U.S., or applied for it? Hopefully no-one will 'need' to see your J-1 stamp in that case. Do you still have your separate DS-2019 form?
I was thinking the same thing. I will likely have to return in August to complete some exam retakes that scupper my plans slightly as I am supposed to be finishing at the end of the month. So I am considering coming back in as a tourist for the final few weeks just to tie up the loose ends.

I do not have student ID as I am interning with a company that is linked with my university back home.
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I suspect the primary need is for something that has the OP's proof of status for the purposes of obtaining a driving license.

Would a print out of the electronic I-94 suffice?

May be too late for the OP but good advice is to always have a scan or photocopy of your passport and visa pages in a safe place (or carry the copy and lock up the passport except when needed).
Yes, primary need is for what you have said.

I am unsure if an electronic I-94 print out suffices - was hoping someone from here may be able to shed some light on that.

I have both a black and white, and colour photocopy of my passport that I have access to. The night I lost it was the first time I had taken my passport outside with me; I was here for one year in 2014 and never brought it with me.

And yes 100%, I advise anybody else to just keep your passport in a safe place and not take with you anywhere; and if you are, then keep it on your person at all times in a front pocket and often.
Agree, best solution is to go get I-94 from CBP - hopefully OP knows their stolen Passport details.
CBP?
Yes, luckily I have scans of my passport so a lot of those details I can obtain.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:07 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

According to the DMV website, you should just need a print out of your I-94- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S. | DMV.org Articles

If you don't need to leave and re-enter the country, I don't believe you need to replace the visa. Prepared to be corrected by folks more in the know, though!
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alientrooper:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...your-i-94-form

this should do the trick.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alientrooper
I was thinking the same thing. I will likely have to return in August to complete some exam retakes that scupper my plans slightly as I am supposed to be finishing at the end of the month. So I am considering coming back in as a tourist for the final few weeks just to tie up the loose ends.
Just the one entry this time before Aug? In that case, you're gold, just reenter on VWP in Aug, presuming you are eligible for ESTA.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

According to the DMV website, you should just need a print out of your I-94- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S. | DMV.org Articles

If you don't need to leave and re-enter the country, I don't believe you need to replace the visa. Prepared to be corrected by folks more in the know, though!
dmv.org is not representative of the specific rules in the OP's state. He will have to check his state's DMV to check but most will accept an I-94.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:31 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

dmv.org is not representative of the specific rules in the OP's state. He will have to check his state's DMV to check but most will accept an I-94.
True!
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

The DMV wanted visas/passport and I-94 for me in Alabama!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

ZanM is an unknown quantity at this point

With a J1 visa type, it seems like virtually everyone wants to see your DS2019 form as well as your other documentation, so definitely make sure you have that when you go.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Luckily, after receiving my exam results I do not need to retake, which is a relief.
Alientrooper:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...your-i-94-form

this should do the trick.
Thanks a bunch, I have used that and printed my Most Recent I-94.
Just the one entry this time before Aug? In that case, you're gold, just reenter on VWP in Aug, presuming you are eligible for ESTA.
Actually, it turns out I do not need to return to retake exams...luckily just scraped through.
Yes, they accept an I-94 but still need my passport unfortunately.

Originally Posted by nick.simpson19
The DMV wanted visas/passport and I-94 for me in Alabama!
Same for where I am - Kentucky. I asked if they would accept a scan of the passport and they said no

Originally Posted by ZanM
With a J1 visa type, it seems like virtually everyone wants to see your DS2019 form as well as your other documentation, so definitely make sure you have that when you go.
I have everything that is required, apart from the passport with the visa inside. Even when the new passport is given to me, I still do not think I will be eligible because of the fact that it will not have a passport stamp inside.

Tldr; Turns out I do not need to return to the UK, but to get a driving license I need a passport with a stamp inside so that looks like it will not happen.....