Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which Passport at Immigration?

Which Passport at Immigration?

Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold
Default Which Passport at Immigration?

Next week I'm off to the UK for the first time since being sworn in as a US citizen last year. So I'm now the proud owner of both US and UK passports.

So it comes down to the question of which passport to use where. Obviously I'd use the US one to leave and enter the US, as it's the law. But how about the UK? If I entered the UK on a British passport, would US immigration wonder where the hell my passport stamp was and so on, or couldn't they give a toss?

I'm sure plenty of folks must have done the same thing, so what have you done and did you get grief from it.

Ta
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which Passport at Immigration?

Originally Posted by Pharrya
Next week I'm off to the UK for the first time since being sworn in as a US citizen last year. So I'm now the proud owner of both US and UK passports.

So it comes down to the question of which passport to use where. Obviously I'd use the US one to leave and enter the US, as it's the law. But how about the UK? If I entered the UK on a British passport, would US immigration wonder where the hell my passport stamp was and so on, or couldn't they give a toss?

I'm sure plenty of folks must have done the same thing, so what have you done and did you get grief from it.

Ta
Right after I became a USC when I entered through UK immigration I only had my new US passport... I wasn't sure, so I asked the officer.
He said next time come in on your UK passport. So that's what I do now. Travel with both. UK passport to enter UK, US passport to enter US.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Right after I became a USC when I entered through UK immigration I only had my new US passport... I wasn't sure, so I asked the officer.
He said next time come in on your UK passport. So that's what I do now. Travel with both. UK passport to enter UK, US passport to enter US.

You don't need a passport to leave the US. You enter each country with that country's passport, i.e. British passport in the UK and US passport in the US
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't need a passport to leave the US. You enter each country with that country's passport, i.e. British passport in the UK and US passport in the US
Yep that's what I do!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Yep that's what I do!
That's what I do for my daughter who has both also.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Which passport number do you record at the airlines early check in website? ... do you enter the UK passport # going to the UK and then change the passport for your US passport for the return flight once you are in the UK ?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi:

As a practical matter, you are correct. On the pedantic side, the Immigration & Nationality Act does require a US citizen to have a US passport on departure.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cpe111
Which passport number do you record at the airlines early check in website? ... do you enter the UK passport # going to the UK and then change the passport for your US passport for the return flight once you are in the UK ?
Yep - and Continental (anyway if you are one of their club people or frequent traveler or some such) lets you input both passports into the system ahead of time so when you do the early check in you just select which passport instead of retyping all the info.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:48 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
Ta
Leave the US with US passport.
Enter UK on UK passport.
Leave UK with US passport.
Enter US with Iranian passport.

Walk bandy-legged all the way to the car.

Btw: If you enter UK as a family of Britons and one member is a USC only, then they will let you all go thru together in the EU line.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a UK passport to enter the UK if the passport you hold is valid for the trip, so using your US passport is fine if it is just a holiday. Becomes a ball ache if you used that to enter if your making a permanent move, in which case you should use your UK passport, unless you've got a visa in the US passport