Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport expiration question

Passport expiration question

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:14 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Passport expiration question

I am travelling to the UK in September on my British passport which expires in November. I'm only going for 10 days. The question is, when I come back to the US, will they care that my passport will expire in 2 months time? I do have a US green card but it's in my married name, wheras my passport is in my maiden name.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport expiration question

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I am travelling to the UK in September on my British passport which expires in November. I'm only going for 10 days. The question is, when I come back to the US, will they care that my passport will expire in 2 months time? I do have a US green card but it's in my married name, wheras my passport is in my maiden name.
no I don't think so.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No. I have travelled within a few weeks of the expiration date.

The question of your PP being in your maiden name could present problems. Why didn't you get it changed, after all you have your married name on the GC?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:23 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Bring your marriage certificate just in case you need to explain different names.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Bring your marriage certificate just in case you need to explain different names.
I think the green card alone is sufficient to re-enter the USA
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:28 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The question of your PP being in your maiden name could present problems. Why didn't you get it changed, after all you have your married name on the GC?
Out of laziness. Not a good excuse I know. I went to the UK last year on my passport. They weren't bothered at JFK on my return when they saw it was in my maiden name. I didn't even have my marriage certificate.

I'm more worried about the passport expiration date but looks like I'll be ok.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I've heard that also....don't know if its correct though.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:31 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

GC show eligibility to re enter but passport is examined when you enter internationally. Probably wont need the marriage cert as POE accept that you wont necessarily want to spend 150 GBP to change your passport unnecessarily.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Out of laziness. Not a good excuse I know. I went to the UK last year on my passport. They weren't bothered at JFK on my return when they saw it was in my maiden name. I didn't even have my marriage certificate.

I'm more worried about the passport expiration date but looks like I'll be ok.

You'll be fine. Search through the threads for posts about renewing your UK PP there have been a couple in the last few months. I renewed mine in April took about 2 weeks. I didn't get my photo countersigned as my appearance hadn't changed in the last 10 years. I am assuming you know that you have to get your PP renewed via the UK Embassy in DC and not in the UK.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You'll be fine. Search through the threads for posts about renewing your UK PP there have been a couple in the last few months. I renewed mine in April took about 2 weeks. I didn't get my photo countersigned as my appearance hadn't changed in the last 10 years. I am assuming you know that you have to get your PP renewed via the UK Embassy in DC and not in the UK.
Yes thanks. I did search through the old posts so I know how to renew. Just wondering whether to do it now or after my trip. Of course, once I book the ticket, the decision is made as my ticket has to be in same name as my passport.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes thanks. I did search through the old posts so I know how to renew. Just wondering whether to do it now or after my trip. Of course, once I book the ticket, the decision is made as my ticket has to be in same name as my passport.
When are you leaving?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:46 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bollocks that reminds me...

Where did I put those passport forms... mine runs out June 30th
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW last time I renewed mine I spoke to a very nice lady at the DC embassy and she said that they can often renew by return FedEx if necessary - in a couple of days.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:52 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Kate2112
GC show eligibility to re enter but passport is examined when you enter internationally.
sorry Kate, but that's wrong....... I came back from Canada last night with just a greencard..........

I entered Canada on just a green card too.

International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:52 pm
Junior Showtime

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
FWIW last time I renewed mine I spoke to a very nice lady at the DC embassy and she said that they can often renew by return FedEx if necessary - in a couple of days.

or if you are in DC they can replace it while you wait..in an emergency situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.