Reload this Page >

Which Passport do I use?

Which Passport do I use?

Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

mmmyesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Passport do I use?

Hello,

Apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong section. I am a dual Australian and US Citizen. I am going back to Australia for the first time since becoming a dual national. I understand I will check in for my flight with my Australian passport and check in for my flight back with my USA passport but my question is what passport will I use to exit customs in Australia after checking in. Thank you.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Passport do I use?

Originally Posted by mmmyesh
Hello,

Apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong section. I am a dual Australian and US Citizen. I am going back to Australia for the first time since becoming a dual national. I understand I will check in for my flight with my Australian passport and check in for my flight back with my USA passport but my question is what passport will I use to exit customs in Australia after checking in. Thank you.
Australia requires that you use your Australian passport to enter and leave the country.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Australia requires that you use your Australian passport to enter and leave the country.
The US also requires that you use your US passport when entering and leaving the country.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The US also requires that you use your US passport when entering and leaving the country.
I thought so, but thought I'd leave one of you US peeps to answer that bit so as to be certain
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:32 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

When I travelled to Australia last year I thought I would be thrifty and enter on my UK passport and save $20. However, when leaving (and returning to the US) I had no end of problems because the exiting passport did not match the entering passport. I was not able to check-in online or at a kiosk and it took about 30 minutes (plus wait time) at the ticket agent to fix it. I got stopped again at outgoing immigration and have to have it fixed there too. Hindsight I should have paid the $20.