British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

lansbury Jul 2nd 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9471145)
I wonder if they enforce this...

And...I wonder if it's relevant that I can't show a US passport if I don't have one.

Got that sinking feeling...

If you leave on your UK passport what are you going to do when the airline asks you to surrender your I-94. When I have traveled out of PDX on my UK passport and they didn't see the I-94 in my passport at check in, United have asked if I was a 'resident alien", and then asked for my GC.

Coming back on a UK passport with no visa and no return ticket back to the UK, the airline are going to start asking questions.

mshedden Jul 2nd 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9471145)
I wonder if they enforce this...

And...I wonder if it's relevant that I can't show a US passport if I don't have one.

Got that sinking feeling...

I'm sure that you'll get your US passport and you will be fine.

midmod Jul 3rd 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by brl2k (Post 9469423)
May 19th: mailed application
May 23rd: application arrived
June 24th: Credit card was charged.

And now the wait begins. :(

Your timeline is very close to mine. I was wondering if you had called "Careline" yet. Reading theses posts leaves me wondering if calling actually has any effect.

Shazban Jul 3rd 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9471899)
Your timeline is very close to mine. I was wondering if you had called "Careline" yet. Reading theses posts leaves me wondering if calling actually has any effect.

My timeline is almost identical and I did call careline last week. I was given a case ref number and was told to expect a call from Washington and that they were escalating my application. Whether I believe it or not is another matter but I felt better after hanging up with them.

StephieFaith83 Jul 3rd 2011 2:38 pm

Do they return documents when they send the new passport?

Meaning my marriage certificate etc.

mshedden Jul 3rd 2011 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 9472533)
Do they return documents when they send the new passport?

Meaning my marriage certificate etc.

Yes, plus your old passport.

grumpy39 Jul 3rd 2011 3:25 pm

I spoke to a lovely Scottish lady on the helpline number and explained my situation with my 3 boys passports, that I had sent them in 7 weeks before we fly and needed them to get our new visa's when home, she sent a note to Washington and 11 days later UPS are at the door with the new passports!! :D:D:thumbsup::rofl:

muffin4u4 Jul 3rd 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by grumpy39 (Post 9472578)
I spoke to a lovely Scottish lady on the helpline number and explained my situation with my 3 boys passports, that I had sent them in 7 weeks before we fly and needed them to get our new visa's when home, she sent a note to Washington and 11 days later UPS are at the door with the new passports!! :D:D:thumbsup::rofl:

What was you timeline??? When did you first send them in?

grumpy39 Jul 3rd 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by muffin4u4 (Post 9472622)
What was you timeline??? When did you first send them in?

I sent them in on the 24th May, spoke to them on the June the 22nd and the 1st Lady I spoke to told me they weren't in the system and it would take 10 weeks once they started process, so I called back the next day to try and cancel them and got the Scottish women that saved the day!!

So from start to finish it was just over a month!! :D

Hotscot Jul 3rd 2011 10:55 pm

Your timeline is a week later than mine but yet you have yours already?

I genuinely am pleased for you, no doubt, but also frustrated.

aml1982 Jul 3rd 2011 11:14 pm

Incredibly angry/frustrated right now. Just got through to the helpline, tried to explain my situation to the guy that answered - we move back to the UK in a little over 7 weeks, passport has been in DC 3 1/2 weeks and they haven't even taken our payment yet. Got the immediate brush off "we can't do anything until payment is taken, blah, blah, blah". Resisted the urge to tell him that I know that they have found a way round that for other people, and tried asking how we could contact them to get our stuff sent back to us. Told me to write a letter. I said that we already sent a letter in shortly after the original application went in with some supplementary info, and I am assuming it is still sat in the same pile of unopened mail that the application is. "Sorry, there's nothing I can do". So apparently it all depends on which person answers the phone as to whether you get help or not.

lou6 Jul 4th 2011 1:17 am

Originally Posted by grumpy39 (Post 9472578)

I am pleased for you, but frustrated that I am still waiting for my 3 kids passports. They received my application at the beginning of May. I thought I read from a previous post that the Scottish women at Careline was very unhelpful. Maybe she's had a change of heart.... We spoke to Steve at Careline on Friday and he told us that he would send a note to expedite the applications, and that I should hear something in three days, I guess we'll see.

grumpy39 Jul 4th 2011 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by lou6 (Post 9473338)
I am pleased for you, but frustrated that I am still waiting for my 3 kids passports. They received my application at the beginning of May. I thought I read from a previous post that the Scottish women at Careline was very unhelpful. Maybe she's had a change of heart.... We spoke to Steve at Careline on Friday and he told us that he would send a note to expedite the applications, and that I should hear something in three days, I guess we'll see.

Lou6

Thats how it happened with me, they sent a note and told me they'd call back within 72hrs and they called back within 36hrs and told me I would have them before we travelled. So fingers crossed it works the same for you. :fingerscrossed:

The 1st person I spoke to was Scottish too and she was NO help at all, but the 2nd lady was great and got the ball rolling.

Good luck to all the rest of you guys trying to get your passports back.

Simosa88 Jul 4th 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by lou6 (Post 9473338)

STEVE IS THE MAN! YOU ARE SORTED.

Shazban Jul 4th 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9474794)

Please tell me that Peter is the man too? LOL

eanne06 Jul 4th 2011 8:48 pm

I spoke to Scott. He was nice, but I don't know how helpful he can be. My fingers are crossed! Anyone have any experience with him?

pTeronaut Jul 4th 2011 9:25 pm

I wonder how many of the Careline service agents who 'come through' for us, actually do nothing, but see that the requested passport is close to or is in transit, tell the customer on the other end that s/he'll try to hurry it up so that they'll look good?

Shazban Jul 4th 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by pTeronaut (Post 9475055)
I wonder how many of the Careline service agents who 'come through' for us, actually do nothing, but see that the requested passport is close to or is in transit, tell the customer on the other end that s/he'll try to hurry it up so that they'll look good?

HILARIOUS!!! :lol:

LP9 Jul 4th 2011 10:41 pm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22009291/1309813754580.jpg

Jerseygirl Jul 4th 2011 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9475162)

Woo Hoo. :thumbsup:

What a lovely little boy. :wub:

eanne06 Jul 4th 2011 11:41 pm

Did you finally get it? What's your timeline? How did you finally get someone to assist you?

LP9 Jul 4th 2011 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9475269)
Did you finally get it? What's your timeline? How did you finally get someone to assist you?

I got it Wednesday of this week.

If you've followed my posts at all you'll have some understanding of how...lol

Just badgered and poked the right people until it happened.

Sent May 21st
Received May 24th
Payment June 27th
Passport June 29th

lou6 Jul 5th 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9474794)

Oh goody!! Let's hope so.

Shazban Jul 5th 2011 1:27 am

LOVE IT! That'll be my face when the ups guy shows up. I've already decided I'm gonna kiss him on the lips :-)

midmod Jul 5th 2011 5:33 am

That is ADORABLE!!!

Simosa88 Jul 5th 2011 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Shazban (Post 9474967)
Please tell me that Peter is the man too? LOL

PETER IS INCREDIBLE. HE IS SO THE MAN AS WELL. I spoke to him the most. Helped me EVERY step of the way. He was my favorite.

Shazban Jul 5th 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9475857)
PETER IS INCREDIBLE. HE IS SO THE MAN AS WELL. I spoke to him the most. Helped me EVERY step of the way. He was my favorite.

BRILLIANT! I got the warm & fuzzies now :). Thanks!!!

geordie80815 Jul 5th 2011 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9465518)
Emailing Careline is a waste of time. They make no money on emails and they are unlikely to respond usefully, citing 'data protection act' etc.

Call them, get a reference number. They should be able to give you status.

Took your advise, after 8 goes got through to Careline....An investigator is checking it. Although money came out of my account on 6th April Careline said they didn`t get it till may9th....so ten weeks from that date..I should have Passport as soon as I asked for reference I was told it would be mailed on 18th this month...Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

fine1 Jul 5th 2011 7:18 pm

I finally got my daughters passport. Unfortunatley it arrived 3 hours after we left home!! They really can't get it right in DC!! Here is my timeline

April 26th renewal passport sent via UPS
April 27th arrived in DC
May 27th CC charged
June 30th ETD issued
July 1st 8am left for the UK
July 1st 9.30am passport arrived at my home via UPS

muffin4u4 Jul 5th 2011 8:40 pm

Name Change on Passport:
Mailed May 7th
Arrived May 9th
CC charged June 13th.
Called careline June 27th

Passport arrived this am!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

No need for ETD now :) Get to go on my 5 Week, 7 Country Grande Tour :)

Hopefully this means they are now pulling their fingers out in Washington.....All of you still waiting.....there is hope :)

Lorraine

Bob Jul 6th 2011 12:12 am

It does seem that they are speeding up on things and working their way through the backlog recently, so hopefully everyone will get squared away pretty soon :)

Train Set Jul 6th 2011 12:54 am

Similar story to all.
  • Passport gets to DC 10 May (during which time the web site quoted 4 to 6 weeks for processing).
  • Credit card charged 13 June.
  • Called Careline on 29 June and was told they hadn't even started processing my renewal.

So it looks like I'm off to DC to get an ETD early August so I can go on holiday. BTW Consular Services were very helpful when I called to ask about the process for an ETD. So a big hurah to those guys, and a big fat boo to the passport office.

pTeronaut Jul 6th 2011 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9477621)
It does seem that they are speeding up on things and working their way through the backlog recently, so hopefully everyone will get squared away pretty soon :)

Only for those who call Careline it seems.

I gave a travel date of July 7th on the application that they received on March 31st and took payment for on May 5th. I haven't called Careline yet, because I don't really travel for a month or two, but if I were truly traveling on Thursday, the passport has to be at my door tomorrow (UPS invariably deliver to me around 5:30pm), for me to travel.

muffin4u4 Jul 6th 2011 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Train Set (Post 9477674)
Similar story to all.
  • Passport gets to DC 10 May (during which time the web site quoted 4 to 6 weeks for processing).
  • Credit card charged 13 June.
  • Called Careline on 29 June and was told they hadn't even started processing my renewal.

So it looks like I'm off to DC to get an ETD early August so I can go on holiday. BTW Consular Services were very helpful when I called to ask about the process for an ETD. So a big hurah to those guys, and a big fat boo to the passport office.

You timeline is within a day or 2 of mine.........I got mine today .......so hopefully yours in on the UPS truck as we type :)

CAdreaming Jul 6th 2011 9:47 am

So cute!!!

Train Set Jul 6th 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by muffin4u4 (Post 9477685)
You timeline is within a day or 2 of mine.........I got mine today .......so hopefully yours in on the UPS truck as we type :)

Unfortunately no such luck. It's still sitting with no work having been done on it. On the plus side I did call Careline and it has been escalated today, although I'm not sure if escalation has any sort of impact on the processing time.

EmmPeez Jul 6th 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9477621)

So sorry to hear of all the folks with delays thru the DC passport office.

Can I ask whether it is possible to apply direct to the UK passport office when living in Canada and whether that is quicker in anyones experience?

Also is there a problem in travelling with a passport that expires a few days after you return home? I have a trip planned 5-18 Oct and my passport expires Oct 23rd. I am so reluctant to send in for a new one and risk it not coming back in time. Oct 5th sounds a long way off, but its only 12 weeks and that seems to be the average delay at the moment.

What are your thought folks??

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by EmmPeez (Post 9478778)

Can I ask whether it is possible to apply direct to the UK passport office when living in Canada and whether that is quicker in anyones experience?

Also is there a problem in travelling with a passport that expires a few days after you return home? I have a trip planned 5-18 Oct and my passport expires Oct 23rd. I am so reluctant to send in for a new one and risk it not coming back in time. Oct 5th sounds a long way off, but its only 12 weeks and that seems to be the average delay at the moment.

You could fly to the UK and apply in person for a same day person whilst you're there. There are posts about this in this thread...they'll give you a good idea on the procedure.

Do you have a Canadian PP you could use?

sachminu Jul 6th 2011 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by EmmPeez (Post 9478778)

Well at least you were intelligent enough to visit this forum before submitting your passport. If I had known before about the delays I would not have submitted my passport which expires in Jan 2012. I just ruined my summer travel plans. I could have submitted in late Oct, after coming back from my trip.
Anyway, yes it is cutting it quite close to your trip. Though I think you do need a 6 month valid passport before you travel anywhere...but I maybe wrong and not sure if they check at the airport anyway.

EmmPeez Jul 6th 2011 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9478819)
You could fly to the UK and apply in person for a same day person whilst you're there. There are posts about this in this thread...they'll give you a good idea on the procedure.

Do you have a Canadian PP you could use?

Unfortunately no Canadian PP yet :(

Well maybe I'll visit my family in September in the UK and get it renewed there. Could save some stress.