British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

BellaE Jul 14th 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9494317)
:):)Just spoke with Careline, who said my passport was printed and quality checked today and is due to go out by UPS tomorrow, with delivery expected Friday!!
My son said, "how much of that is a lie?"
I'll let you know on Friday.
(Application sent April 30, payment taken June 3, first call to Careline July 7).

So UPS tried to deliver this morning (not Friday) but my husband had just gone out to the grocery store. He is not allowed to leave the house tomorrow!
I really think that the call to Careline does make a difference. Now I can plan my holiday -- I wanted to make a booking with a favourite B&B, but didn't want to have to cancel at the last minute and create a problem for the owners if the passport never appeared.
Congratulations to some, and good luck to everyone else!:):D:heart:

midmod Jul 14th 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by lambton (Post 9495070)
Was just about to call Careline to see how things were going and heard the UPS truck pull up (9am). Passport is here one day short of 5 weeks :thumbup:

June 9th - Application sent Fedex (Next Day AM)
June 10th, 10am - Application received
July 6th - Credit card charged
July 8th - Charge posted to credit card account
July 11th - Called Careline, got case number
July 14th, 9am - Passport Arrived

BTW. This only took one $5 call to Careline. It sounds like once they expedite they will turn it around in a couple of days. Overnight UPS adds just one more day. From Careline call to physically having my passport was only 72 hours.

I just called Careline, I got through to 'Becky' very quickly. She was sympathetic to my plight. Apparently there is no "tracking on the computer" with regards to my case. An e-mail will be dispatched forthwith to the guys in DC and I should expect a call from them by Monday.I now have a case # with an R which means very little.There's an elderly Scotsman just outside London waiting for a visit from his daughter and I'm crying as I type.

Shazban Jul 14th 2011 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9495958)
I just called Careline, I got through to 'Becky' very quickly. She was sympathetic to my plight. Apparently there is no "tracking on the computer" with regards to my case. An e-mail will be dispatched forthwith to the guys in DC and I should expect a call from them by Monday.I now have a case # with an R which means very little.There's an elderly Scotsman just outside London waiting for a visit from his daughter and I'm crying as I type.

Oh no don't cry :(

You'll have your passport within 2 weeks tops i'm sure! Seems like they're pulling out the stops in DC finally. Do come back and let us know when it arrives!!

midmod Jul 14th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Shazban (Post 9496019)
Oh no don't cry :(

You'll have your passport within 2 weeks tops i'm sure! Seems like they're pulling out the stops in DC finally. Do come back and let us know when it arrives!!

Thank you, Shazban. Our time-lines are very close aren't they? I'm just feeling the pressure. I've cancelled one trip already and obviously can't book a new one until my passport arrives I flew to be with my Mum a few years back and got there too late. I can't have this happen with my Dad!

Shazban Jul 14th 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9496045)
Thank you, Shazban. Our time-lines are very close aren't they? I'm just feeling the pressure. I've cancelled one trip already and obviously can't book a new one until my passport arrives I flew to be with my Mum a few years back and got there too late. I can't have this happen with my Dad!

Oh gosh that is sad! I'm sending positive vibes your way. Tell dad to hang on because you'll be there before he knows it!!

BellaE Jul 15th 2011 1:22 am

It's okay to cry if you want, but be of good faith:heart: as well -- I do think that things are moving now.

vanfan1 Jul 15th 2011 2:17 am

I am very happy to hear that some of you are getting your passports!!

Just got through to Careline (no hold time too! 7pm PST may be a good time to call folks)=), not sure if I got an 'escalation' or what, Becky the agent told me that she would make them aware of my travel date, took my phone no. and said they'd only phone if there was a problem. I did not get a no. though. Is that an escalation??

vanfan1 Jul 15th 2011 2:18 am

I really hope you get yours soon :fingerscrossed:

EDIT TO ADD: I think we must have spoke to the same Becky, of all the Careline agents I have spoke to she was by far the nicest.

debby66 Jul 15th 2011 2:38 am

well it looks like the passports are on the move at last.im still praying and hoping that we will get them within the next 2 weeks,but its so re-assuring when we see happy smiley faces on here.
i will be tempted to snog the ups man when he delivers as well.lol.
hey washington...dont forget about us brits waiting with bated breath here in canada.:(:confused:

BellaE Jul 15th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by debby66 (Post 9496379)
hey washington...dont forget about us brits waiting with bated breath here in canada.:(:confused:

I wonder if any "officials" (other than Dean) read this forum? Hopefully they're too busy working on passports to be lurking here.:unsure:

debby66 Jul 15th 2011 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9497158)
I wonder if any "officials" (other than Dean) read this forum? Hopefully they're too busy working on passports to be lurking here.:unsure:

Oh I do hope that they are working like busy bees....:))))

ykidc Jul 15th 2011 2:14 pm

Looks like the careline is now free and is contactable on this number :
+442084958079

eanne06 Jul 15th 2011 3:42 pm

OH MY GOD!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT!!!! CARELINE IS CURRENTLY FREE!!

BellaE Jul 15th 2011 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ykidc (Post 9497323)
+442084958079

"Due to the delays in passport processing there will be no additional charges for using this service. However, your telephone service provider will charge for an international call."

I don't suppose those of us who paid will be getting refunds!

There is also this new note:
14 July 2011 - Please note that the Washington Regional Passport Processing Centre is experiencing a significant increase in demand for passports which may affect the processing time for applications. Your passport application could take up to ten weeks.

Again not clear if that is 10 weeks from receipt of the application or 10 weeks after payment is taken.

lyonsden1193 Jul 15th 2011 4:56 pm

[QUOTE=BellaE;9497489][I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]"I don't suppose those of us who paid will be getting refunds!

Yeah right! .... the cheque is in the mail!!:D

midmod Jul 15th 2011 5:56 pm

+442084958079

So Careline will be bombarded with Bart and Lisa Simpson's going "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?..."

Shazban Jul 15th 2011 7:04 pm

+442084958079

Well I'll be damned!!

It was nothing short of extortion and they knew it. They looked like do-do heads taking our money for that service and I'm glad people spoke up about it. Yeah they got my money already but at least I did get my passport so it I'm not feeling as gypped as some others might be feeling. Just thankful that they've been shamed into doing the right thing at least.

Hope the rest of you still waiting are blowing up their phone lines :thumbsup:

lansbury Jul 15th 2011 7:39 pm

+442084958079

Probably been hacked into by News Corp as a public service

eanne06 Jul 15th 2011 10:41 pm

Okay, so I need some help! I got a call from the passport office in DC today and they have started processing my application. They said in order to move forward and print it they need my mother's original copy of her divorce papers between her and my father. I sent in the original copy my dad had, but she no longer has hers. How would her copy be any different than my dad's copy?

lambton Jul 15th 2011 11:11 pm

bump

Jerseygirl Jul 15th 2011 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by lambton (Post 9498269)
bump

Please do not do that just to take advantage of the Private Messaging System. BTW if you're busy PMing Dean...it's no use...he's away.

lansbury Jul 15th 2011 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9498274)
Please do not do that just to take advantage of the Private Messaging System. BTW if you're busy PMing Dean...it's no use...he's away.

He got his passport renewed then? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JAJ Jul 15th 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9498221)
Okay, so I need some help! I got a call from the passport office in DC today and they have started processing my application. They said in order to move forward and print it they need my mother's original copy of her divorce papers between her and my father. I sent in the original copy my dad had, but she no longer has hers. How would her copy be any different than my dad's copy?

I see no reason why they should even demand this. You are claiming British citizenship from your father and you only need to show that he was legally married to your mother at the time of your birth. If they divorced afterwards it is irrelevant to your eligibility for British citizenship.

So go back to the Embassy and ask them why they are asking for something that does not have any bearing on your eligibility for a British passport. If whoever you speak to reads from a script and says "it's the rules" then he or she is wrong and demand to speak to a manager/supervisor. If that doesn't work, call the Foreign Office Nationality and Consular Registration Division in London - +44 20 70081500.

debby66 Jul 15th 2011 11:19 pm

hey i called careline as soon as i knew it was free...thanks guys for that info..
nice guy called ian checked my file...its going to quality control apparently by tues.
so long as theres no queries.:fingerscrossed:
he said all being well i will have them back by friday.:unsure:
oh the waiting is torture:eek::eek:
we will see.but im hopeful now...
will keep you posted.:)

lambton Jul 15th 2011 11:20 pm

He PMed me but I couldn't see the message. Wanted to be courteous and send a reply

eanne06 Jul 15th 2011 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9498285)
I see no reason why they should even demand this. You are claiming British citizenship from your father and you only need to show that he was legally married to your mother at the time of your birth. If they divorced afterwards it is irrelevant to your eligibility for British citizenship.

So go back to the Embassy and ask them why they are asking for something that does not have any bearing on your eligibility for a British passport. If whoever you speak to reads from a script and says "it's the rules" then he or she is wrong and demand to speak to a manager/supervisor. If that doesn't work, call the Foreign Office Nationality and Consular Registration Division in London - +44 20 70081500.

I don't understand it either, but they called me directly from the Passport office. This document isn't asked for at all on the ukinusa page. I sent my father's copy as additional support. I'll call that number and hopefully be told otherwise. I am glad that they at least started processing my app though.

JAJ Jul 15th 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9498302)
I don't understand it either, but they called me directly from the Passport office. This document isn't asked for at all on the ukinusa page. I sent my father's copy as additional support. I'll call that number and hopefully be told otherwise. I am glad that they at least started processing my app though.

Don't assume that everyone in the passport office is sufficiently trained on nationality law.

Bottom line is that you cannot provide what you don't have so they either need to issue your passport or issue you a formal refusal explaining the basis of why they are unwilling to do so. If they don't think you're a British citizen then they had better be able to explain why not and if they need any help on the nationality law, they ought to be calling the Home Office Nationality Directorate in Liverpool rather than making things up as they go along.

And if they do refuse your passport, they should expect a call from the Foreign Office in London as you will obviously escalate it to them.

This is one of the reasons why applying for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode is often preferable to getting a passport - there is less chance of unreasonable refusal. Not least because there is a formal right of appeal.

Saro Jul 16th 2011 4:04 pm

I've been lurking here for a long time but never posted. I sent off my application for a first time passport back in March and still nothing.

Received in DC: March 17
Payment taken: April 15

I finally broke down and called Careline yesterday, only to find out it was now free. They told me they had no record of me in the system! :blink: Please tell me that doesn't mean they've lost my application! I have visions of it wedged between two filing cabinets never to be seen again. Supposedly I'll get a call next week, but we'll see.

The funny thing is, when I applied I thought I had done everything correctly, and surely that meant it wouldn't take the full 6-8 weeks. That was 17 weeks ago...

FredCDobbs Jul 16th 2011 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=BellaE;9497489]"Due to the delays in passport processing there will be no additional charges for using this service. However, your telephone service provider will charge for an international call."

"I don't suppose those of us who paid will be getting refunds!"
----------------------------

Contest the charges through your credit card company. That's what I'm doing.

BellaE Jul 16th 2011 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9499280)
I've been lurking here for a long time but never posted. I sent off my application for a first time passport back in March and still nothing.

The funny thing is, when I applied I thought I had done everything correctly, and surely that meant it wouldn't take the full 6-8 weeks. That was 17 weeks ago...

That's really awful. I hope they find it -- if you don't hear back from them soon, call again.

midmod Jul 16th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9499280)

I finally broke down and called Careline yesterday, only to find out it was now free. They told me they had no record of me in the system! :blink: Please tell me that doesn't mean they've lost my application! I have visions of it wedged between two filing cabinets never to be seen again. Supposedly I'll get a call next week, but we'll see.

No record of you in the system. I was told that there was "no tracking of my application on the computer" Same thing? Why are some told they will receive a call and others will only be called if there is a problem? 17 weeks....Yikes!

katiemoon Jul 17th 2011 5:02 pm

<snip>

My reply if you're reading these dean:

Hi Dean,

Many thanks for your reply and advice.
Apologies for not replying sooner - as you may imagine, I was frantically busy trying to sort out an ETD as I was supposed to travel to the US on 3 July (I had to fly to Vancouver on 4 July and then travel overland to the US (was told I couldn't fly due to being unable to complete online ESTA) and found that the ETD is NOT accepted by US Immigration ANYWHERE as it isn't an electronically readable document. :confused:
Fortunately I was very kindly given a visa waiver (and the $500 fee waived :ohmy: ) by the Chief Immigration officer at his own discretion, so was able to complete my journey - at great additional expense due to the detour to Vancouver on a holiday weekend!

I have still not received my new passport and may have to travel again - this time to the UK and France, so I will contact the Consulate about getting the p/port app escalated as you suggest, to try and get my passport soon.
Many thanks again

Good luck to everyone still waiting

ian-mstm Jul 17th 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by katiemoon (Post 9501028)
... got the following pm from Dean on 1 July but unable to send a reply by pm

It seems he has turned off his PM feature. I don't blame him.

Ian

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9501385)
It seems he has turned off his PM feature. I don't blame him.

Ian

Dean's away for a while...that's probably the reason.

edwardyuen Jul 18th 2011 3:34 am

I have heard about a lot of lucky cases. I have just made a phone call to Careline. Yes, it is now free but you still get charged by your long distance phone service provider for charges.

Anyway, I just talked to Pauline at Careline.
My timeline:
May 10 - sent my application
May 13 - DC received my package
June 9 - payment get processed

And now, according to Pauline, it will take 10 weeks from June 9 for me to get my passport, which would be the week of August 22 for me to receive my passport -- or three months after I sent in my application. I asked if there is anyway they can expedite the application, and was told there is no way they could. I am wondering is there anything I could do so I can get my passport faster?

aml1982 Jul 18th 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by edwardyuen (Post 9501739)
I have heard about a lot of lucky cases. I have just made a phone call to Careline. Yes, it is now free but you still get charged by your long distance phone service provider for charges.

Anyway, I just talked to Pauline at Careline.
My timeline:
May 10 - sent my application
May 13 - DC received my package
June 9 - payment get processed

And now, according to Pauline, it will take 10 weeks from June 9 for me to get my passport, which would be the week of August 22 for me to receive my passport -- or three months after I sent in my application. I asked if there is anyway they can expedite the application, and was told there is no way they could. I am wondering is there anything I could do so I can get my passport faster?

Well, if you need your passport urgently, they can expedite applications and they have done in the past. Do you have some sort of travel booked before August 22nd, or are you just keen to get your stuff back?

sselbie Jul 18th 2011 3:27 pm

Well, After 9 weeks today I finally got my passport!

That was 3 Careline calls,
2 letters to the Embassy,
3 e-mails to the Consulate,
but eventually it was my local MP that did the deed!...One contact to them and the next day they were on it and my Passport was being sent by UPS!

Of course who is going to cover the 9 weeks in loss of wage and interest on bills I couldn't cover!....

It'll take me another few months to catch up but I am glad that I am back in control of my life!

edwardyuen Jul 18th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9502256)
Well, if you need your passport urgently, they can expedite applications and they have done in the past. Do you have some sort of travel booked before August 22nd, or are you just keen to get your stuff back?

I followed the "instruction" on the Web site about not getting my ticket until I have my passport. However, my travel plan has been postponed twice now because of all the passport delay :(

giggimickey Jul 18th 2011 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by sselbie (Post 9502728)
Well, After 9 weeks today I finally got my passport!

That was 3 Careline calls,
2 letters to the Embassy,
3 e-mails to the Consulate,
but eventually it was my local MP that did the deed!...One contact to them and the next day they were on it and my Passport was being sent by UPS!

Of course who is going to cover the 9 weeks in loss of wage and interest on bills I couldn't cover!....

It'll take me another few months to catch up but I am glad that I am back in control of my life!

Hi Sselbie,

Can you tell me was that 9 weeks from payment taken that you received your passport?

sselbie Jul 18th 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by giggimickey (Post 9502806)
Hi Sselbie,

Can you tell me was that 9 weeks from payment taken that you received your passport?

No That was 9 weeks total