Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

GBGIRAFFE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

I can't hardly believe it, but while I was out this morning, UPS attempted to deliver my passport! I am going to pick it up from them this evening. Thus, my timeline is:
July 6: Mailed passport overnight to Washington
July 7: Passport received.
July 26: Credit Card charged.
Aug 1: Called Careline - spoke to very helpful gentleman called Andrew. He
said he would send e-mail to Washington to escalate my case, and
to call back to Careline if I hadn't heard anything in3 days.
Aug 4: UPS tried to deliver passport.
29 Days Total from start to finish.

I actually called Careline BEFORE I mailed the passport to make sure that I was filling out the application correctly. I noted that Credit Card charges go faster than Money Orders, and I called Careline fairly promptly after the credit card charge. I am amazed at the speed with which my case was handled. Huge sighs of relief!!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pbx
and i wait yet more.

All this because i let my Ontario drivers licence expire

The Province will not renew it unless i have a passport!
You don't need a passport to get an Ontario drivers licence.
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/HowToApply.aspx
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:53 am
pbx
Just Joined

pbx is an unknown quantity at this point

with all due respect

Did you read the first 2 documents needed to satisfy all three elements

Item
# LIST 1 DATA ELEMENTS
Acceptable Identity Documents Legal Name Date of Birth Signature
1 Passport - Canadian • • •
2 Passport - Foreign • • •
3 Canadian Citizenship Card with photo • • •
4 Canadian Permanent Residence Card • • •
5 Record of Landing (Form IMM 1000). If information on the IMM 1000 is amended and an IMM 1436 is issued, IMM 1436 must be accompanied by IMM 1000 to be acceptable • • •
6 Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form (IMM 5292) • • •
7 Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434) • • •
8 Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status (IMM 7703) with photo • • •
9 Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugess Protection Act (IMM 1442) with photo • • •
10 Student Authorization Study Permit (Form 1442) • • (•)
11 Employee Authorization/Work permit (Form 1442) • • (•)
12 Visitor Record (Form 1442) • • (•)
13 Temporary Resident's Permit (IMM 1442) • • (•)
Note:
Any document from List 1 above will satisfy all three data elements required.
Applicants identified as a child on their parent’s Passport, Record of Landing/Refugee Status Claim must provide an additional document that provides proof of the applicant’s signature.
Legal name is defined as the one registered at birth or the one changed legally through adoption, court order/Change of Name Certificate or marriage.
(•) Satisfies the signature data element only if Form 1442 has a pre-printed area for the holder’s signature, otherwise, the applicant must provide another piece of acceptable identification from list 2 to prove proof of signature
If you do not have the required ID documents from List 1, the following documents from List 2 are also acceptable.

Item
# LIST 2 DATA ELEMENTS
1 Canadian or US Birth Certificate. • •
2 Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (issued by governments, Canadian or foreign) •
3 Certified Copy of Statement of Live Birth (issued by Ontario only) •
4 Canadian Certificate of Indian Status - issued by Canadian Federal Government • •
5 Driver's Licence - issued by a Canadian or U.S. jurisdiction •
6 Identity Card - issued by a Canadian or U.S. jurisdiction •
7 Ontario Health Card* •
8 Ontario Student Card with signature •
9 Department of National Defence (DND) identity card •
10 Declaration of Guarantor, Form SR-LD-40 •
11 Enhanced Driver’s Licence •
Note:
Two documents from List 2 above are required to satisfy all three data elements.
If an applicant is unable to present proof of signature from items 4 to 9 on List 2, the applicant may present an original, completed “Declaration of Guarantor” form attesting to their signature. Applicants must first ensure that no other acceptable documents for signature are available from the list identified above.
Direct identification by a parent or guardian will no longer be acceptable. The applicant will be required to present an acceptable document with their signature.
*A Health Card signed by a parent or guardian is not acceptable. The
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pbx
with all due respect

Did you read the first 2 documents needed to satisfy all three elements

Item
# LIST 1 DATA ELEMENTS
1 Passport - Canadian • • •
2 Passport - Foreign • • •
3 Canadian Citizenship Card with photo • • •
4 Canadian Permanent Residence Card • • •
5 Record of Landing (Form IMM 1000). If information on the IMM 1000 is amended and an IMM 1436 is issued, IMM 1436 must be accompanied by IMM 1000 to be acceptable • • •
6 Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form (IMM 5292) • • •
7 Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434) • • •
8 Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status (IMM 7703) with photo • • •
9 Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugess Protection Act (IMM 1442) with photo • • •
10 Student Authorization Study Permit (Form 1442) • • (•)
11 Employee Authorization/Work permit (Form 1442) • • (•)
12 Visitor Record (Form 1442) • • (•)
13 Temporary Resident's Permit (IMM 1442) • • (•)
Note:
Any document from List 1 above will satisfy all three data elements required.
Of course I read the first 2 documents, but I continued to read the rest of the list. Are you telling us you have no Canadian immigration/citizenship documentation?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:16 pm
pbx
Just Joined

Question Re: Passport Delays

Canadian immigration 1964 on my Mothers passport

In the 70's when i was in high school i asked the Canadian immigration people
about citizenship.

Was told why would you bother we are part of the British commonwealth

Guess what the rules changed

UK birth certificate no good, I have had a drivers licence since 1976

i am in the system but if you let your DL expire it is no longer acceptable as proof of identity

Common sense not so common

When it come's to the government
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pbx
Canadian immigration 1964 on my Mothers passport

In the 70's when i was in high school i asked the Canadian immigration people
about citizenship.

Was told why would you bother we are part of the British commonwealth

Guess what the rules changed

UK birth certificate no good, I have had a drivers licence since 1976

i am in the system but if you let your DL expire it is no longer acceptable as proof of identity

Common sense not so common

When it come's to the government
Have you called the passport careline yet?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:58 pm
pbx
Just Joined

Did not call Don't careline

I have had some luck with e-mail

will post back soon

I hope
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pbx
In the 70's when i was in high school i asked the Canadian immigration people about citizenship.
Must have been after 1972 - which is when I naturalized as a CDNC, at the tender age of 18.

UK birth certificate no good...
Just because the web site says so? It might be worth it for you to check what the actual law says... the web site is not the law.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:13 pm
pbx
Just Joined

I was in the service Ontario Office not just the weeb
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pbx
Did not call Don't careline

I have had some luck with e-mail

will post back soon

I hope
Call them. Explaining your situation to someone over the phone is going to be a lot easier (and faster, given that the passport office has a 10 day reply timescale in place). Tell them how long you've been waiting, and the impact it is having on your life. As long as you don't get stuck with one of the less helpful agent, the person you speak to should be able to escalate your case, or at the very least, check in the system and let you know exactly what stage your application is at.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter's been away for a week...when she got home her UK PP had been delivered.

She lives in Toronto and sent it in for renewal 14th June. She has a US PP...so she wasn't desperate to get the UK PP back and she did not call CareLine. It took approx 1 1/2 months.
Sounds like things are getting better....
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Sounds like things are getting better....
Hopefully. She received it 3 weeks after payment was taken.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

loser will become famous soon enoughloser will become famous soon enough

Application sent June 16th

Received DC June 17th

Payment processed July 12th

Passport received August 5th

* No calls to Careline

* Please note this was a renewal application not a new issue.

* No tracking e mail received.

* Overall I'm very pleased with the process

* Good luck to all.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:07 pm
pbx
Just Joined

YaHOO

got passport today

17 weeks not a good thing

still i am glad to move on

Why not got everyone here to make some suggestions how to improve the passport service

I like the UK model the application has a bar code on it so as you can track the application process

You have to take note of it B4 SENDING

anyone else have some input
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

sammymummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm so frustrated with this issues, I hand delivered my passport application to the dc passport processing center in mid may, my credit card was charged on may 29th and still nothing 2 months later I have not received a thing, I am ment to be traveling back to london for my sisters wedding on august 20th. I would love if Dean could help my out with this. My name is Samantha <snip>. Please help.

Last edited by Sue; Aug 6th 2011 at 12:01 am. Reason: Really not wise to post your personal details on a public discussion forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.