Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:12 am
Just Joined

eanne06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

So today I finally got the documents that were incomplete. I sent them off to DC they should be there tomorrow. When they called me and told me about the documents they needed they said that once they received them I should have my passport within a week. We'll see what happens.So, my timeline:

June 2: Application arrived in DC
July 10: CC charged
July 15: Call from passport office saying they needed a dissolution of marriage certificate from my mother, or the state, for my my mother's previous marriage. They also said that my father's birth certificate was incorrect and they need another copy. Ordered both of these items on July 15.
July 26: Received both of these documents.
July 27: Mailed documents.

$50 and 5 calls to careline.
Will let you know when I have it in my sweaty little hands!

Those of you that argued the charged on your cc for careline, what exactly did you say to get them to take it off?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:52 am
Just Joined

FredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eanne06
Those of you that argued the charged on your cc for careline, what exactly did you say to get them to take it off?
I told my credit card company (Chase), on their online "dispute charge" form, that:

(1.) The "service" provided by Careline was lousy, in that they gave me information that turned out to be incorrect and they later corrected, and promised return calls that never came (and I gave specifics); and

(2.) Regardless of (1) above, it was a travesty -- in fact, a total piss-take -- for any service provider (let alone H.M. Government) to sell a commodity (let alone a vital commodity like a passport) to customers, take the customers' money, fail to provide the item as promised, and then actually require said customers to pay again simply for the privilege of asking what was going on and why passports that were supposed to have taken six weeks to arrive still hadn't arrived afer three months.

Within ten days I received an e-mail message from Chase that the charges had been "permanently reversed." And they were.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Passport Delays

Thanks Debby66, some peace of mind.

We submitted our apps X 2 endish May. On the website it stated 'allow 4 weeks for processing'. By last week (@ 8 weeks) no passports. I called the UK who emailed Washington. The UK told me Washington processed payment June 30th and that I would have to wait another 10 weeks from that date. That would have taken us 5 weeks past our departure date!

I was told not to follow up my inquiry for 3 working days. Tues I called again and was told we had a UPS tracking number. In 24 hrs the passports got from DC to Calgary, which is quite impressive. By contrast, the package which arrived in Calgary this morning 7.15am, has not moved one inch in 12 hours.

UPS Calgary tell me it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow sometime. This pushes our departure date ahead by a day. It's a good thing it's a road trip and not a flight.

I do believe however that they are doing their level best to process apps as fast as possible. They have to deal with thousands of Brits who have decided later rather than sooner that they need a new passport for their summer vacation trips which has put the kibosh on it for everyone! Hey ho.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:57 am
Just Joined

debby66 is an unknown quantity at this point

we waited 8 weeks so i cant really complain,but i did pester careline a bit.we are also going on a roadtrip,and we were panicking.
But i do believe that they are moving so much quicker now,but if they had posted the correct info on their website months ago when all this started,it wouldnt have resulted in an influx of renewals..lol.
our passports were still being processed last tues,but they were in winnipeg by last thurs and delivered friday,so kudoos to washington for pulling their finger out.
they will be on your doorstep tomorrow,then you can relax.
Have a great holiday,we are driving to vegas again from manitoba and looking forward to 2 weeks of relaxation.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:33 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I think that anyone who paid for calls to Careline should definately dispute the charges. I know I would if I had ever gotten though to them.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by debby66
we waited 8 weeks so i cant really complain,but i did pester careline a bit.we are also going on a roadtrip,and we were panicking.
But i do believe that they are moving so much quicker now,but if they had posted the correct info on their website months ago when all this started,it wouldnt have resulted in an influx of renewals..lol.
our passports were still being processed last tues,but they were in winnipeg by last thurs and delivered friday,so kudoos to washington for pulling their finger out.
they will be on your doorstep tomorrow,then you can relax.
Have a great holiday,we are driving to vegas again from manitoba and looking forward to 2 weeks of relaxation.
We're off to see friends in Reno. Have a safe and fun ride. : )
Old Jul 28th 2011, 12:03 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

Well well, guess what, after my call to careline and being told that the passport for my Mum had been sent last week, I phoned Fedex and they had no trace of the passport at all. They spent the whole of yesterday trying to find out what had happened to it and eventually were told that it wasn't at the high commission in Pretoria.

After searching at the HIgh commission it was eventually found in the collections draw. It is now being sent to Fedex who will get it to me by tomorrow.

If I hadn't followed this up the passport would have been stuck in the draw indefinately, what an appalling service and its only thanks to Fedex that it was found.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Jengreg is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got my renewed passport today. Mine was out of date and needed a name change too.
Passport and documents sent May 21st - signed for in DC May 24th
CC charged June 9th
Passport arrived July 28th

No calls to Careline.

Just very glad to get it.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Neidpath is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent mine off early June ( just as Canada Post decided to strike......) Arrived June 30th and credit card charged on 23rd July. I assume in 10 weeks time I might get my passport! Had planned a trip to Bermuda ( but not bought tickets thankfully) end of August but I suspect that will not be happening.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

robbytnyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robbytnyc
Just an update for everyone out there on my progress:
- I mailed my passport application on 6/28 via USPS
- confirmed via USPS website the package was delivered in Washington on 6/30
- Yesterday I received a return receipt from the USPS and that was stamped by the British Passport office with a date on 7/18.
- Credit Card was charged on 7/20

So, it was 3 weeks between they received the application and when my CC was charged. Not too bad, I guess.
I'm surprised to say I got my passport today! This was a new passport application and took only 1 month from start to finish.

Below is my timeline:
- I mailed my passport application on 6/28 via USPS
- confirmed via USPS website the package was delivered in Washington on 6/30
- Credit Card was charged on 7/20
- Called Careline on 7/26 on told them I had a pending job offer in the UK and needed my passport before I could accept the position
- 7/29 Received passport

I guess it was the pending job offer that sped up the process. UK here we come! I wish the very best to everyone else waiting on their passports.

Thanks for all the info and feedback on this site. It's been very helpful.
- Rob
Old Jul 29th 2011, 3:08 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

My Mums passport arrived this morning just one week short of 5 months from sending it.
Good luck to everyone else waiting
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sueffun
My Mums passport arrived this morning just one week short of 5 months from sending it.
Good luck to everyone else waiting
FINALLY!!! So very happy for you
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:04 pm
Sueffun

Thanks you. Fancy them sticking it in a drawer, but to be fair that was in South Africa !!!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:21 am
Just Joined

sachminu is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my passport today!!!!
It was a great surprise...I wasn't expecting it for another 4-6 weeks. I guess I was just lucky...as I didn't even have to call careline or contact anyone. Anyway here is my timeline below and it was just a normal renewal.

Application sent via USPS: June 6th
Application received by DC: June 7th
Credit card charged: July 1st
Passport received via UPS: July 28th
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:26 am
Just Joined

eanne06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get an email with a tracking number? Did you know it was coming or did it just show up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.