Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No credit but need a credit card in USA

No credit but need a credit card in USA

Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

thesuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No credit but need a credit card in USA

I am moving to California in Dec. I have no credit rating in the states. I am aware that to rent a house or get a cell phone plan etc I need to have a credit rating. I can't seem to find any credit card that I am qualified for, all I seem to find are credit cards for students/graduates, I am a graduate but of a uk university so I don't qualify.
What can I do?
Does anyone know of any credit card comparison sites that discuss this issue?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:55 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No credit but need a credit card in USA

Go to some local banks when you arrive and ask about secured credit cards. My DH got one when we arrived, he had no US credit history. With a secured card you give a deposit to the bank, and then they issue you a card that has a credit limit equal to the amount of the deposit. His was $500. Pay charges on time for a year and then you can get your deposit back. Terms for different banks may vary.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:08 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Or open a UK based Amex now and when you move, ask them to transfer it. Officially after a year they take your UK credit into account, in reality it doesn't need be that long. We had it for 3 months, transfered it and woohoo, US credit card with good credit limit. It's not actually a transfer, even though they call it that. It's a new card.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

sarahemh has a brilliant futuresarahemh has a brilliant futuresarahemh has a brilliant futuresarahemh has a brilliant futuresarahemh has a brilliant futuresarahemh has a brilliant futuresarahemh has a brilliant futuresarahemh has a brilliant future

I'm in the process of moving at the moment. If you have a HSBC account for 3 months + you can apply for a US bank account - costs about £100 to set up but will get you going with building your US credit rating.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:13 am
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by thesuz
I am moving to California in Dec. I have no credit rating in the states. I am aware that to rent a house or get a cell phone plan etc I need to have a credit rating.
The absolute need for an American credit history may be a bit overstated here.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thesuz
I am moving to California in Dec. I have no credit rating in the states. I am aware that to rent a house or get a cell phone plan etc I need to have a credit rating. I can't seem to find any credit card that I am qualified for, all I seem to find are credit cards for students/graduates, I am a graduate but of a uk university so I don't qualify.
What can I do?
Does anyone know of any credit card comparison sites that discuss this issue?
I got a cell phone via Verizon without credit I just had to pony up a couple months advance payments. That was 15 years ago mind so maybe it's different now.

Did the same with a house, just met the right person who judged me to be a good person and I was in..
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest reading up on this topic, with the numerous suggestions in the wiki, up top...or perhaps searching the forum, for this comes up pretty much on a weekly basis...