British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   No credit but need a credit card in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/no-credit-but-need-credit-card-usa-734291/)

thesuz Oct 1st 2011 10:22 pm

No credit but need a credit card in USA

I am moving to California in Dec. I have no credit rating in the states. I am aware that to rent a house or get a cell phone plan etc I need to have a credit rating. I can't seem to find any credit card that I am qualified for, all I seem to find are credit cards for students/graduates, I am a graduate but of a uk university so I don't qualify.
What can I do?
Does anyone know of any credit card comparison sites that discuss this issue?

avanutria Oct 1st 2011 10:55 pm

Re: No credit but need a credit card in USA

Go to some local banks when you arrive and ask about secured credit cards. My DH got one when we arrived, he had no US credit history. With a secured card you give a deposit to the bank, and then they issue you a card that has a credit limit equal to the amount of the deposit. His was $500. Pay charges on time for a year and then you can get your deposit back. Terms for different banks may vary.

Weeze Oct 1st 2011 11:08 pm

Or open a UK based Amex now and when you move, ask them to transfer it. Officially after a year they take your UK credit into account, in reality it doesn't need be that long. We had it for 3 months, transfered it and woohoo, US credit card with good credit limit. It's not actually a transfer, even though they call it that. It's a new card.

sarahemh Oct 1st 2011 11:55 pm

I'm in the process of moving at the moment. If you have a HSBC account for 3 months + you can apply for a US bank account - costs about £100 to set up but will get you going with building your US credit rating.

The Grey Area Oct 2nd 2011 12:13 am

Originally Posted by thesuz (Post 9652052)
I am moving to California in Dec. I have no credit rating in the states. I am aware that to rent a house or get a cell phone plan etc I need to have a credit rating.

The absolute need for an American credit history may be a bit overstated here.

Englishman43 Oct 2nd 2011 2:39 am

Originally Posted by thesuz (Post 9652052)
I am moving to California in Dec. I have no credit rating in the states. I am aware that to rent a house or get a cell phone plan etc I need to have a credit rating. I can't seem to find any credit card that I am qualified for, all I seem to find are credit cards for students/graduates, I am a graduate but of a uk university so I don't qualify.
What can I do?
Does anyone know of any credit card comparison sites that discuss this issue?

I got a cell phone via Verizon without credit I just had to pony up a couple months advance payments. That was 15 years ago mind so maybe it's different now.

Did the same with a house, just met the right person who judged me to be a good person and I was in..

Bob Oct 2nd 2011 3:23 am

I'd suggest reading up on this topic, with the numerous suggestions in the wiki, up top...or perhaps searching the forum, for this comes up pretty much on a weekly basis...