Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Application Resources?

Passport Application Resources?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Application Resources?

Now that I'm a citizen I want to apply for my US passport... I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question, but where can I find the articles/FAQs on applying for one? I remember from visiting a while back that there were several resources here for it, but (and maybe I'm just getting old or blind or something) I looked in the wiki section and just couldn't find anything. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Application Resources?

You should be able to Google up the state department form, which you can complete and then print as a precompleted form. Get a passport photo from CVS, Walgreens or wherever, then take it to a Post Office™ with your certificate of naturalization and two checks one for the State dept, and a handling fee for the Post Office™; total for about $125, I think.

Check on the USPS web site because you may need to prebook an appointment, and that can be a right royal pain in the behind! ... I recently submitted my own US passport application albeit 5 1/2 years after I became a US citizen, and four of five Post Offices™ I contacted put me into a voicemail and never returned my call, and the fifth was booked through the end of the year and not taking further appointments. I eventually noticed a small rural Post Office™ in the middle of nowhere, but fairly close to where I live that takes passport applications without an appointment.

So in short: application form + checks + cert of nat'n + PO apt'nt = passport mailed to you 2-3 weeks later.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your input. I was thinking about Post Office submission since a friend mentioned that to me, but I was wondering what other places I could use as a second option. Is it completely safe to hand over your naturalization cert to a PO employee? I feel a bit worried letting someone else keep it so soon after having just got the certificate. If you go through the USPS, do you know how soon after submitting the application do you get your naturalization cert back?

Last edited by Lakersdarge; Jan 23rd 2013 at 2:46 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your input. I was thinking about Post Office submission since a friend mentioned that to me, but I was wondering what other places I could use as a second option. Is it completely safe to hand over your naturalization cert to a PO employee? I feel a bit worried letting someone else keep it so soon after having just got the certificate. If you go through the USPS, do you know how soon after submitting the application do you get your naturalization cert back?
Unless you live close to a federal passport office you actually don't have any alternative. The first time you apply for a US passport it must be reviewed by a federal government officer in the presence of the applicant, .... and for most people this means a Post Office appointment, unless you are prepared for a long journey. The closest Federal passport office to me is 6-7 hours drive away.

For whatever reason, the naturalization certificate comes back separately, and two weeks after my passport arrived I am still waiting.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 23rd 2013 at 2:54 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:35 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unless you live close to a federal passport office you actually don't have any alternative. The first time you apply for a US passport it must be reviewed by a federal government officer in the presence of the applicant, .... and for most people this means a Post Office appointment, unless you are prepared for a long journey. The closest Federal passport office to me is 6-7 hours drive away.

For whatever reason, the naturalization certificate comes back separately, and two weeks after my passport arrived I am still waiting.
Here in Arizona, the maricopa county court offices process US passports as well as some city clerks offices such as the City of Chandler.

If you go to the website
http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/
It will give a list of local locations to submit your passport
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I'm a citizen I want to apply for my US passport... I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question, but where can I find the articles/FAQs on applying for one? I remember from visiting a while back that there were several resources here for it, but (and maybe I'm just getting old or blind or something) I looked in the wiki section and just couldn't find anything. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
I thought you could apply at the Oath ceremony. If not, or if you don't, it sounds like a PITA.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I thought you could apply at the Oath ceremony. If not, or if you don't, it sounds like a PITA.
Not at the one I attended.

We applied for our daughter's PP at the post office. There was only one in the area that took PP applications...not all of them do. Hubby and I applied through the local court house for our PPs.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 23rd 2013 at 5:05 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is it completely safe to hand over your naturalization cert to a PO employee?
Even though they work for the PO, they are federal agents.

I feel a bit worried letting someone else keep it so soon after having just got the certificate.
Regardless of how you apply, you must submit your natz certificate.

If you go through the USPS, do you know how soon after submitting the application do you get your naturalization cert back?
I applied through the PO and got my certificate back in about 3 weeks... along with my US passport.

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:32 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for mine yesterday at the PO.

A guy in a pair of sweats and a t-shirt with racoons on it wandered into the room. This was my "federal government officer" I guess.

First thing the guy did was take my shiny new Citizenship Certificate, staple it to the application form and cram it into an envelope.

When (if) I get it back, its sure not going to look new and shiny anymore.

Oh, and nope.. No way to do this at the ceremony.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I checked Google was still active.

Regards, JEff

Now that I'm a citizen I want to apply for my US passport... I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question, but where can I find the articles/FAQs on applying for one?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, I've got the DS11 form, got my PP pics done, got my chequebook ready, got my naturalization cert and driving license (with xerox copy of DL for them to keep), and I found out I can go to my local post office between certain hours on weekdays to get it done- from what I understand, no appointment needed.

One question- do I need to bring my original UK birth certificate, or do they not require that? Thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I did my first passport application at the county clerks office, since then I do online renewals, the kids we had to do in person each time, so did the PO one time, it was awful, long drawn out, me having to explain the rules, then her not believing and double checking with her boss, who said I was right. All in public, full view of all the locals So next kid, we went back to using the County clerk, you make an appointment and are done in no time.
I just filled out my renewal yesterday, mail it on monday. I'm a bit horrified at the new pics however, I don't think that CVS did so good, I'm looking a lot older this time around when compared to the last passport, where does the time go!

No idea about the birth certificate, I don't believe you need it, Dh had a US passport for years and only just got his UK birth certificate, but they have tightened rules since 9/11
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:41 am

..... For whatever reason, the naturalization certificate comes back separately, and two weeks after my passport arrived I am still waiting.
Got my naturalization cert back on Saturday, with no staple holes, and despite having no protection other than a heavy weight envelope, it arrived in pretty much pristine condition!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 12:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Got my naturalization cert back on Saturday, with no staple holes, and despite having no protection other than a heavy weight envelope, it arrived in pretty much pristine condition!

No action on mine yet (I keep poking the Passport application progress website).
Hopefully there is a little electrode that gives someone there a jolt everytime somone refreshes the page.

F5
F5
Old Jan 28th 2013, 12:13 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for the court house here. When we took our USC kid to get one it was painless at the court house. I couldn't even find a post office within 50 miles of Houston with an appointment within a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.