Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport advice please

Passport advice please

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 4:01 am
Just Joined

jazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport advice please

Hi there all! Well things are going well here in the States. Married, employed and very happy.

Just had the news from my sister that she got engaged so I'm wondering what my options are re travel docs to go back to the UK for her wedding? I'm asking now even though it's not urgent as I want to be prepared!

My Green card is expected to be processed in a month or so. It's going to show my married name of course. My UK passport is still current-just got it last year-but it's in my maiden name.

So, do I:

Get my UK passport changed to my married name so GC, tickets and passport all match (spendy)!

Travel on UK passport with matching maiden name on tickets?

My concern then is that on arrival back in the U.S. the TSA have a fit as my GC and other docs will not match. I can of course take my marriage certificate along too-I'm just terrified that the buggers would send me back to the UK and I end up in some transatlantic No Mans Land-yikes!!!

Thanks in advance!

PS what to do with my now expired and out of date UK Drivers License too?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport advice please

While changing your passport to your married name would be ideal it is unnecessary. You will be fine with a ticket booked in the name on your passport, your green card, passport, and your marriage certificate to tie your green card to your passport.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 5:29 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzelle29
Hi there all! Well things are going well here in the States. Married, employed and very happy.

Just had the news from my sister that she got engaged so I'm wondering what my options are re travel docs to go back to the UK for her wedding? I'm asking now even though it's not urgent as I want to be prepared!

My Green card is expected to be processed in a month or so. It's going to show my married name of course. My UK passport is still current-just got it last year-but it's in my maiden name.

So, do I:

Get my UK passport changed to my married name so GC, tickets and passport all match (spendy)!

Travel on UK passport with matching maiden name on tickets?

My concern then is that on arrival back in the U.S. the TSA have a fit as my GC and other docs will not match. I can of course take my marriage certificate along too-I'm just terrified that the buggers would send me back to the UK and I end up in some transatlantic No Mans Land-yikes!!!

Thanks in advance!

PS what to do with my now expired and out of date UK Drivers License too?
If you are that worried and passing through London you can get a new passport at he Victoria passport office the same day. Done it a couple of times.

Looks like the UK requires you to change it:

"To travel overseas, you must renew your passport and send additional documents with your application if you change:

your name - by marriage, civil partnership, deed poll, go back to your maiden name or add middle names"

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport...ation/overview
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
If you are that worried and passing through London you can get a new passport at he Victoria passport office the same day. Done it a couple of times.

Looks like the UK requires you to change it:

"To travel overseas, you must renew your passport and send additional documents with your application if you change:

your name - by marriage, civil partnership, deed poll, go back to your maiden name or add middle names"

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport...ation/overview
I never changed the name in my UK passport through two marriages and various names on green cards. OP, do as Pulaski suggests above, and you will be fine.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I never changed the name in my UK passport through two marriages and various names on green cards. OP, do as Pulaski suggests above, and you will be fine.
The point which Tht doesn't appear to have recognized in proffering his advice is that changing your name after a change in marital/domestic circumstances is voluntary, and as long as the ticket for travel is booked using the name on your passport, the UK "requirement" to get a new passport does not apply.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The point which Tht doesn't appear to have recognized in proffering his advice is that changing your name after a change in marital/domestic circumstances is voluntary, and as long as the ticket for travel is booked using the name on your passport, the UK "requirement" to get a new passport does not apply.
It's a matter of semantics. (My emphasis)

To travel overseas, you must renew your passport and send additional documents with your application if you change:

- your name - by marriage, civil partnership, deed poll, go back to your maiden name or add middle names
- gender - even if your name remains the same
- how you spell your name, eg changing from Brian to Bryan

If you have decided to keep your maiden name after you marry then no problem. If you have changed your name however then you should update your passport accordingly. If the OP is intending to be known by her married name then she should make all the relevant changes as soon as possible, i.e. driving licence, bank accounts, etc..

Given that her sister has just announced her engagement I presume that she won't be marrying for a while yet so there should be plenty of time to renew her passport.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you have decided to keep your maiden name after you marry then no problem. If you have changed your name however then you should update your passport accordingly. If the OP is intending to be known by her married name then she should make all the relevant changes as soon as possible, i.e. driving licence, bank accounts, etc..
I'm sorry, but this is totally optional. There is just no "should" about it. My first marriage, being young and starry eyed, I did change some things into the married name -- but not everything, including my UK passport. The OP can do whatever is her personal preference.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but this is totally optional. There is just no "should" about it. My first marriage, being young and starry eyed, I did change some things into the married name -- but not everything, including my UK passport. The OP can do whatever is her personal preference.
If the OP wants to keep her maiden name then that's fine. If she is going to take her husband's name then she should act accordingly. Having half your documents in one name and half in the other will only cause you grief especially when it comes to immigration matters.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

If the OP wants to keep her maiden name then that's fine. If she is going to take her husband's name then she should act accordingly. Having half your documents in one name and half in the other will only cause you grief especially when it comes to immigration matters.
No. It will not. I speak from personal experience that, as long as she carries the marriage certificate, she is covered in case anyone asks questions. I entered JFK uncounted times over 25+ years with different names on my passport and green card, and was not once asked for an explanation.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:37 pm

No. It will not. I speak from personal experience that, as long as she carries the marriage certificate, she is covered in case anyone asks questions. I entered JFK uncounted times over 25+ years with different names on my passport and green card, and was not once asked for an explanation.
We shall agreed to disagree then.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

We shall agreed to disagree then.
Absolutely!
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:50 pm

Absolutely!
FIFY
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

FIFY
And I will now trip away to cook dinner with an outsize grin on my face!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:11 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I belive you have had no issues, but the UK government website says you "must".
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:30 am
tht

Agreed, changing your name at the time you get married is optional, but the OP inferred they had done that by stating the GC would be in their new married surname.

Now the one issue with my suggestion of doing it same day when in the UK is that if she had brought a return ticket her passport would not match on the way back.

MY USC wife traveled in her maiden name on our honeymoon, because the tickets had been booked way in advance in our pre martial surnames with no issue, but we got it changed ASAP when we had a gap in travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.