Reload this Page >

Passing NJ Driving theory test

Passing NJ Driving theory test

Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passing NJ Driving theory test

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
For the theory test you need 40/50. If you don't know the answer straight away you can pass and it will go to the end. Read all answers fully as sometimes you read a and think thats it, but b and c were also correct and d is all of the above. Take your time.
Mine had hardly anything about driving rules. There was lots about the permits and ages that you were allowed to drive etc, plus drink driving level questions. There were also random questions they made up, eg if you are tired should you take long blinks, look off to the side, close one eye, close both eyes. I wanted to answer none of these. Very strange.
Once you drive here it will become obvious the lack of driving questions is because no-one would pass as they are all crap.
Expect to be cut up, have people reverse towards you on highways and slip roads and generally try to kill you on a daily basis if you have to travel more than 5 miles.

Also even though the DMV website says you need 6 points of ID they will want more. SS card, visa petition and approval, take as much as you can as there can be a long wait and you dont want to have to go multiple times (took us 3 months and many trips to various DMVs as they managed to not enter my husband into the country correctly, eventually had to go back to the airport to get it sorted)

Not sure what your situation is but they would also not let me do anything at DMV as an L2 without my L1 being there too.
Good luck
Thanks you soon much this is great advice! And really scary too!! to be fair manchester drivers tick all those boxes so I am used to a fair number of terrible drivers on the road!
I am on an L2 like you so I will remember that about making sure my husband (or L1 as I might start calling him now!) with me. The long eye blinky thing is hilarious!! where about do you live then with all these cray cray drivers?!

Jo
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Hope your move goes well.
Where abouts in NJ are you moving?
We did the NJ test in July. We only had to do our theory test but it wasn't easy at all and does require revising for. Hubby had to take it twice as was just short on his first attempt. We did some online practice tests and that really helped me. I remember thinking that there were a lots of questions about being a learner driver and a new driver, none of which l had revised as l it wasn't relevant to me but l would strongly recommend revising that area and the other ones already mentioned in the thread. It is totally passable and nothing to worry about but worth doing the work first.
The biggest thing to note about NJ driving (apart from the madness of it!!) is that on any larger road you can't turn left. It completely threw us when we first arrived and couldn't understand what was happening however they have things called jug handles / clover leaves that use to turn left on. Bit strange as you take a right turn to go left but as soon as you see them and try them then you honestly will have no issue.
Good luck and please shout if you need any help.
Hi
Thank you for this it's so helpful and I will definitely take note of the other areas to revise for (new driver, etc.) You're right that it's one of those things you just have to do so I'll see how much I can read each night before bed before I'm asleep! The jug handle/ no turn left sounds a bit similar to our motorways but I guess without the speed element - very strange on a normal main road but like you say things will become normal I suppose!
Did you arrive just before July? We are moving to Summit in Essex county - just 1 week to go eek!

Jo
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Thanks you soon much this is great advice! And really scary too!! to be fair manchester drivers tick all those boxes so I am used to a fair number of terrible drivers on the road! ....
If you think that drivers anywhere in the UK are "terrible" then prepare to be shocked!

For starters, driving is something that many drivers do while doing something more important, such as talking on a hand-held phone, texting, programing their GPS, dealing with screaming kids, petting the dog on their lap, reading a book, eating lunch, putting on makeup, etc., etc., etc. Driving while dealing with multiple distractions is rife here!

And then there's the huge problem America has with drunk driving. Anytime the police set up a late night check point they find a couple of dozen people who are drunk, and several more under the influence of drugs. And this isn't necessarily Friday or Saturday night, this is any night of the week. And people get prosecuted for drunk driving multiple times and still don't get a custodial sentence. And driving bans are largely ignored, based on how often people are prosecuted for driving without a license. Of course this is somewhat inevitable when in most places, the provision of public transport is so poor.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by discoviking
This is good advice. It should however be pointed out that turning right on red is also prohibited anywhere in Manhattan, should you ever decide to drive there.
Canada is also within reach from New Jersey. Traffic rules are basically the same there but keep in mind that Canada use km instead of miles, and you can't turn right on red in Montreal.
Wow - Canada is somewhere I've always wanted to visit....hoping to get there in the next year or two. Does it take as long to get there from Essex county as it does to get to Cornwall from Manchester?!

Jo
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - Canada is somewhere I've always wanted to visit....hoping to get there in the next year or two. Does it take as long to get there from Essex county as it does to get to Cornwall from Manchester? ....
From Essex County it would take a minimum of five hours on the road to reach the US border heading for Montreal, and six hours heading for Toronto. Add another hour or so to reach your destination city in Canada.

Most people would fly, unless their visit was part of a longer road trip.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
From Essex County it would take a minimum of five hours on the road to reach the US border heading for Montreal, and six hours heading for Toronto. Add another hour or so to reach your destination city in Canada.

Most people would fly, unless their visit was part of a longer road trip.
Yes that makes sense even though I enjoy the thought of 11 hours with small children in the back of a car, flying sounds more sensible! One of the main things on our list is Niagra Falls - L1(husband) has been but I haven't so would love to go! have you?
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:41 pm

.... One of the main things on our list is Niagra Falls - L1(husband) has been but I haven't so would love to go! have you?
Yes, but I was on a business trip in Toronto. My wife drove up to Toronto from New York (Westchester County), and then we visited the Niagara Falls coming down from Toronto. It is certainly a spectacular sight.

If you're driving up from NJ then you should stop in the Finger Lakes area too - it's NY'S "wine country".

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 12th 2017 at 5:41 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thank you for this it's so helpful and I will definitely take note of the other areas to revise for (new driver, etc.) You're right that it's one of those things you just have to do so I'll see how much I can read each night before bed before I'm asleep! The jug handle/ no turn left sounds a bit similar to our motorways but I guess without the speed element - very strange on a normal main road but like you say things will become normal I suppose!
Did you arrive just before July? We are moving to Summit in Essex county - just 1 week to go eek!

Jo
Yes we moved out mid June and just beginning to feel like we are settling in. Not sure if you have kids but l have found that school has been a good way to meet people for both our little boy and me.
We aren't far from you in Summit, we are just down the 78 in basking ridge, Summit is a great town and you have picked really well, they have outdoor films on the green most weekends during the summer and great restaurants and some lovely shops. Have you found your house yet or just picked the town. Were you asking about furniture stores?
You will get used to the driving but if you are nervous just take it slowly and build your confidence. I would add a new destination each week and l didn't go to far afield to start (still don't actually!!😆) but can do Newark Airport, local towns etc.
The jug handles aren't a problem you just needed to know we have them, when we arrived we drove all the way down this long road in East Hanover wondering how on earth we could get to Costco!!! Went miles, sooo confused!!! (East Hanover is your local Costco l think).
Please shout if you need anything.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:35 pm

.... we are just down the 78 ...
I can tell that you're new here!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that makes sense even though I enjoy the thought of 11 hours with small children in the back of a car, flying sounds more sensible! One of the main things on our list is Niagra Falls - L1(husband) has been but I haven't so would love to go! have you?
We did Niagra Falls in August over night, it really was a bit far for one night but took about 7 hours and 8.5 on the way back but would have been lots quicker had we gone to the US side as no immigration however the Canadian side was stunning and well worth the extra time. I personally would only go in the summer. One of the best places l have been, l loved it.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can tell that you're new here!
How come?!! I am giving myself away all the time here, learning words everyday l had no clue they don't use!! Fortnight and torch were today's!!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How come?!! I am giving myself away all the time here, learning words everyday l had no clue they don't use!! Fortnight and torch were today's!!
We did Niagra Falls in August over night, it really was a bit far for one night but took about 7 hours and 8.5 on the way back but would have been lots quicker had we gone to the US side as no immigration however the Canadian side was stunning and well worth the extra time. I personally would only go in the summer. One of the best places l have been, l loved it.

Twice or double...as in double two...aren’t used. Batteries are pronounced badderies, water...wader.

I remember spending ages trying to ask for a shopping trolley...cart.

After living in Mendham, NJ for over 18 years we are now in Toronto. I can see the mist rising from Niagara Falls from my window.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Twice or double...as in double two...aren’t used. Batteries are pronounced badderies, water...wader.

I remember spending ages trying to ask for a shopping trolley...cart.

After living in Mendham, NJ for over 18 years we are now in Toronto. I can see the mist rising from Niagara Falls from my window.
No way on twice and double!!! So how do you ask for a double gin?!!! Lol
You are used to live and now do live in lovely places.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:56 pm

Americans don't dignify road numbers with a definite article. .... They would be "just down 78".

They might insert "highway" or "interstate" as applicable, but its usually just the number, and never get "the".
No way on twice and double!!! So how do you ask for a double gin?!!! Lol ....
AFAIK you always get 2oz if you ask for liquor. .... And Americans don't use "spirits" for distilled alcoholic drinks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 12th 2017 at 6:12 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we moved out mid June and just beginning to feel like we are settling in. Not sure if you have kids but l have found that school has been a good way to meet people for both our little boy and me.
We aren't far from you in Summit, we are just down the 78 in basking ridge, Summit is a great town and you have picked really well, they have outdoor films on the green most weekends during the summer and great restaurants and some lovely shops. Have you found your house yet or just picked the town. Were you asking about furniture stores?
You will get used to the driving but if you are nervous just take it slowly and build your confidence. I would add a new destination each week and l didn't go to far afield to start (still don't actually!!� ����) but can do Newark Airport, local towns etc.
The jug handles aren't a problem you just needed to know we have them, when we arrived we drove all the way down this long road in East Hanover wondering how on earth we could get to Costco!!! Went miles, sooo confused!!! (East Hanover is your local Costco l think).
Please shout if you need anything.
Never heard 78 or any other interstate referred to ‘the 78’ before. It’s I-78 or just 78. Other main roads are referred to as Routes..as in Route 48, Route 10.

Costco at East Hanover on Route 10...was my local Costco,

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 12th 2017 at 7:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.