Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passed my TX driving test

Passed my TX driving test

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:06 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough
Default Passed my TX driving test

what a piece of piss..... I went the wrong way twice, i stalled the car twice, i got WAY too close to a parked car (she commented on it) and I nearly ran a stop sign. But in less than 5 minutes of sterling driving effort on my part she decided that I was a good enough driver for the San Antonio roads.

Now i understand why people drive like crap.

And I think about all the pain I had to go through to get my UK licence.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passed my TX driving test

Originally Posted by weazie
what a piece of piss..... I went the wrong way twice, i stalled the car twice, i got WAY too close to a parked car (she commented on it) and I nearly ran a stop sign. But in less than 5 minutes of sterling driving effort on my part she decided that I was a good enough driver for the San Antonio roads.

it's a joke, a complete farce but anyway congrats
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:10 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by TruBrit
it's a joke, a complete farce but anyway congrats
Its a mockery really- I think she passed me because she liked my car.. especially the colour (burnt orange)
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:20 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

congrats, yes it does explain why the standard of driving over here is so bad generally. My experience was similar, I didn't read the book and passed the written with only 1 wrong and I drove around the block and was rewarded with a "well done, here's your pass cert" beautiful
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

how did you pass your test in the uk if you drive that poorly?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:42 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by basementwaj
how did you pass your test in the uk if you drive that poorly?
Its been a long time since I took the test and I've actually driven. I'm a very good driver really I just get nervous
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I passed my Texas test in Forth Worth in '01. Piece of cake. Passed the written also without reading the book. One kid did fail it when I was taking it, and the DMV worker had to politley ask him if he could read... he answered "no, not really". The poor kid was telling the truth. The DMV worker said they could have someone read him the questions. Still, shows the circumstances you have to be in to actually fail the written!

After my actual test, I was told I fly up to stop signs and slam on the brakes too late. My examiner seemed to realize I'd driven a fair bit before - she was telling me to crank the A/C (so I blatantly had to take my eye of the road for a while) and during the test was telling me "we don't usually drive as fast as this on side streets over here".

Still passed

And I exchanged that joke of a license for a Mass one without taking any additional tests.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a long time since I took the test and I've actually driven. I'm a very good driver really I just get nervous
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:07 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I passed my Texas test in Forth Worth in '01. Piece of cake. Passed the written also without reading the book. One kid did fail it when I was taking it, and the DMV worker had to politley ask him if he could read... he answered "no, not really". The poor kid was telling the truth. The DMV worker said they could have someone read him the questions. Still, shows the circumstances you have to be in to actually fail the written!

After my actual test, I was told I fly up to stop signs and slam on the brakes too late. My examiner seemed to realize I'd driven a fair bit before - she was telling me to crank the A/C (so I blatantly had to take my eye of the road for a while) and during the test was telling me "we don't usually drive as fast as this on side streets over here".

Still passed

And I exchanged that joke of a license for a Mass one without taking any additional tests.
Do you reckon that the TX test is one of the easiest in the US then? My husband said he thought i would of failed in MI (his home state), and from what he said about his test, the examiner was more interested in how smart his clothes and car were.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:28 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

The Tennessee test is the same, I got my license just over a week ago and was shocked at how easy it was. I drove in the UK but had a bunch of lessons years ago and was shocked when I found out there were no reversing around corners, parking or emergency stops. Knowing it's so easy to pass the test makes me more cautious driving now than before I got my license as I assume everyone is just as bad as me
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you'll fit right in
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:55 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by Bob
Sounds like you'll fit right in
I know... my currently learning how to drift across 5 lanes of traffic with no indicator
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you reckon that the TX test is one of the easiest in the US then? My husband said he thought i would of failed in MI (his home state), and from what he said about his test, the examiner was more interested in how smart his clothes and car were.
My wife said her Maine test was really quite tough and she has several friends that failed it.

She laughed when I headed off to take my test without reading the book or clearly taking any lessons. Especially since she saw me make a complete pigs ear of 4-way stops for the previous week or so... my technique was stop, wait to hear someone beep me, assume it's my turn... then go.

I think it does vary state by state.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Here in NC I was asked what shape a few of the signs were....got several wrong as I was expecting to be asked what the symbols were...then went for a drive 400 yards down a dual carriageway, U-turned back up and drove back into the DMV centre....and passed. Mind you I had mentioned in passing that I had 40 years driving experience, 30 as a police advanced driver......
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:37 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by Haldaman
Here in NC I was asked what shape a few of the signs were....got several wrong as I was expecting to be asked what the symbols were...then went for a drive 400 yards down a dual carriageway, U-turned back up and drove back into the DMV centre....and passed. Mind you I had mentioned in passing that I had 40 years driving experience, 30 as a police advanced driver......
That probably helped. I think that it was fairly obvious I had driving experience because i did a perfect parallel park. I watched some other people attempt to do the manoeuvre- so I know i did pretty well in comparison. I also drive a manual so I think she took pity on me.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.