Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Part-year tax return

Part-year tax return

Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

MrsReaser is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Part-year tax return

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Myself (green card holder) and my husband (US citizen, but born and raised in the UK) moved to the States in June 2014. From January to June 2014 we lived and worked in the UK - paying UK taxes. From June 2014 to present we have lived in the US and I have been working and paying US taxes.

Now we have to file taxes. I tried using a 2555EZ, then calculating this into a 1040 alongside the figures from my W2. The problem being that 'in a part tax year, the standard deductions on the 1040 do not apply'. ie/ the deduction is for a 12 month period, but I am only paying tax on 6 months.

I have tried Turbo Tax, which would not work for me as I am not a US citizen. So I relented and went to HR Block - who seem to be having a worse time than us figuring it out.

Does anyone know how to file taxes in your first part-year resident in the US?

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Part-year tax return

You would probably benefit from filing a "dual status" return (which is the technical name for filing for a part year).

You should however compare the result of a dual status return to filing as a US resident, which would mean including income from outside the US between 1/1/14 and your arrival in the US, which although counter-intuitive, would allow you to claim the "standard deduction" (from gross income) which means that it can be beneficial for some filers to file as a resident for the whole year.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Relobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived August last year on L1 and filed fine with Turbo Tax (although had to post rather than e-file due to no SSN for the kids). Have I done something wrong?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relobotomy
I arrived August last year on L1 and filed fine with Turbo Tax (although had to post rather than e-file due to no SSN for the kids). Have I done something wrong?
Did you (i) file on all your income for 2014, including before you arrived in the US, or (ii) file a "dual status" return? ...... If neither (i) nor (ii) then you probably need to file an "amended return". Even if you did (i), and so are technically in compliance, it is likely advantageous for you to have done (ii).

If you used some sort of hybrid approach, declaring only your US income but taking the full annual deduction (allowance), then your return is definitely incorrect. If you receive a refund on the basis of your return I strongly recommend that you do not cash the check.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 8th 2015 at 1:55 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you disclosed your entire year earnings - i.e., earnings made before you arrived in the US - then you have indeed done it wrong. It is usually advantageous for you to file as 'dual status' in your first year in the US.

A dual status tax return can _not_ be completed via TurboTax, so unless you declared all worldwide income, then yes I'm afraid you have very much done it wrongly. You will need to re-file an amended return.

My advice? Get an accountant / tax preparer to do this for you.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

The advice is very much appreciated. I'll seek further professional guidance.

PwC advised that I file dual status through Turbo tax knowing my full situation as they supported through the relocation. I was clear about the date I became resident on the filing (1st August last year) and declared that I had been tax resident in France up to that date. Does that not cause Turbo Tax to automatically therefore only allow for part year deductions?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:41 pm

...... PwC advised that I file dual status through Turbo tax .....
WTF! I wonder if that is the advice they routinely give to clients of their tax consultancy?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

only when the funding for fees runs out :-)
Old Apr 9th 2015, 2:22 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

The advice is very much appreciated. I'll seek further professional guidance.

PwC advised that I file dual status through Turbo tax knowing my full situation as they supported through the relocation.

Whoever recommended that is an idiot. I would insist on speaking to someone different if you speak with PwC next time.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, while TurboTax doesn't support dual-status returns, TaxAct (which I use) does, but it involves preparing two separate returns and sounds a little confusing.
Dual-Status Taxpayer | Help Topics | TaxACT

I'd personally use a professional for any dual-status return though, especially since there could easily be other complications, like relocation expenses, how to deal with buying a car or other major purchase, and others.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived on the 1st August, spending less than 6 months in the USA in the last tax year. HR Block have insisted I am filing as non-resident ? Are they right ?

....because I have been told I need to pay the dear IRS 1000 bucks.....

Steve
Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I arrived on the 1st August, spending less than 6 months in the USA in the last tax year. HR Block have insisted I am filing as non-resident ? Are they right ?

....because I have been told I need to pay the dear IRS 1000 bucks.....

Steve
Probably.

Have a look at this, including the exceptions at the bottom: Substantial Presence Test

Of course, if you have a green card, it's different.

Not sure if you owe $1000, without going into your tax records. You do need to make sure they are to account for all the tax you paid in the UK under the dual-tax treaty.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Probably.

Have a look at this, including the exceptions at the bottom: Substantial Presence Test

Of course, if you have a green card, it's different.
No, fail the substantial presence test. No greencard.

Thing is, I haven't been asked about any income previous to arriving in the USA.

Steve
Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steveq
No, fail the substantial presence test. No greencard.

Thing is, I haven't been asked about any income previous to arriving in the USA.

Steve
Actually, I could be wrong on that detail. As I married a US citizen, I was able to make the election to do a joint return as a full-year resident.