Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

part load shipping to CA from UK

part load shipping to CA from UK

Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

thesuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default part load shipping to CA from UK

I am moving to California in Dec. Does anyone know any cheap shipping companies that allow "Part load shipping"?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: part load shipping to CA from UK

Originally Posted by thesuz
I am moving to California in Dec. Does anyone know any cheap shipping companies that allow "Part load shipping"?
Pickfords, but they are not cheap!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

monkeybarry will become famous soon enough

not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for or what budget you had in mind

but you could check out movecorp.co.uk

i googled a few ago and found quite a few companies - would suggest googling any company to check their quality before commiting.

dont forget to look at the insurance they provide as well
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Be very careful on going cheap with part loads or LTL (less than load). I have heard some some ridiculous fees tacked on just to make a few extra dollars. Research the company very carefully. As I have said before some companies work on the fact they have your boxes in their possesion and as a new arrival have neither the time, inclination or knowlege to fight them.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Avoid any company that uses Graebel as a local carrier. My stuff spent more time in their warehouse, 20 miles from my house, than it did on the boat. And they were very unhelpful whenever I called them about it, refusing to even confirm that the container had been unloaded sucessfully.
Oh, and they demanded money from me for a customs scan without providing any proof of the scan. These charges are pretty common, but it was their attitude that stank. No please, thank you or "unfortunately we are subject to extra charges...", just "pay up now or you never see your stuff again."
The fact that we did eventually get it all back with no damage was little consolation.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Gerber will become famous soon enough

Don't use Anglo Pacific....they charge more for part loads than a whole container and their customer service is lacking.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

This is a quote I received yesterday based on the pallet being dropped off in Leicester UK and picked up in Norfolk VA. As your. shipment is personal effects some of the charges may not apply. Cost of 1 pallet weight 300kg : UK exports docs $100, Ocean freight $150, AMS filing $40 (Automatic Manifest System), ISF filing $40 (Importer Security Filing), customs clearance $150, customs bond $85, warehouse handling fee $50, warehouse loading fee $50 and admin charge $60. If you are given a quote ask about all of the above fees, there should be nothing else tacked on. I did not shop around this is from an shipper I have used for the last 15 years or so for import and export.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Doree Bonner do part loads. They work by volume. I shipped about 71 cu ft for £750 plus marine insurance. That included packing and transport from my house in the UK to my new home in MO.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Compare quotes and get granular on what is and isn't included.
We used (Allied) Pickfords. Cornwall to Bay Area.
They included packing (materials included), loading, consolidation, shipping, delivery, unpacking and taking away the packing materials!
I think it was about 12 weeks door to door in the end.
In transit insurances were included.
We also had a period ( I think it was 90 days) from our 'stuff' clearing 'immigration' of free storage at no additional cost until we were ready to receive delivery.
The above came in at about £1500 for 200 cuft. (This was '07)

We did get hit with additional inspection on the US side of about $500 I think it was. This was apparently due to inspection and 'spray' fees!

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:54 pm
Banned

Roys is an unknown quantity at this point

moving to PA in may but the quotes i am getting are all over under 500 to well over 1000 seems funny as they offer the same thing any help???
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roys
moving to PA in may but the quotes i am getting are all over under 500 to well over 1000 seems funny as they offer the same thing any help???
My quotes ranged from about £750 to £1250 I think (to CA, not PA)
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:48 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
My quotes ranged from about £750 to £1250 I think (to CA, not PA)
I can't remember the totals involved in our move (2008) but recall the quotes for a part container ran from about 8-12 pounds per cubic foot.

Of course the companies didn't quote in cubic feet but that was the way I planned what to ship and what to sell/replace. You can get a high value of books into a cubic foot, but the bookcase itself was not shipped.