Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Parcel Delivery from UK to Texas

Parcel Delivery from UK to Texas

Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold
Default Parcel Delivery from UK to Texas

Hi all,

I am due to have my first baby in October (yay!!) here in Houston. Initially, my mum was going to come over to visit/help out (from Manchester) but because of my dad's ill-health this won't be possible.

So now she is insisting that she wants to send presents for the baby (clothes etc) despite my attempts to dissuade her as I am worried about what it will cost!

My question is does anyone know of a relatively cheap parcel delivery service that she can use? I guess it will be one box with stuff from my parents and also my sisters but I am not really sure how big/heavy the box will be. Not too much stuff if my message about costs of mailing a package has gotten through to them (but they are so excited that I think I'm the only one that seems to care about the cost aspect right now!!)

Any advice...?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:56 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parcel Delivery from UK to Texas

We find royal mail pretty reasonable. A large shoe box was £8 and took 2 weeks. They might be better to send them individually rather than in a big box of everything though.
Congratulations by the way. We just had our second delivered in Sugarland.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance you could persuade her to buy stuff online from Amazon in the US and just have it delivered to you?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Best option is amazon US and send it locally?

But some stuff from home is nice...and cheapest option is through the regular mail as surface shipping, but it's got to be in small parcels under a few pounds in weight, but takes around 10-16 weeks, but is dirt cheap and saying that most of the stuff my mother sends has arrived within 4 weeks, except when towards Christmas.

It's great way to send clothes and kids books that can all be wrapped flat
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:19 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Best option is amazon US and send it locally?

But some stuff from home is nice...and cheapest option is through the regular mail as surface shipping, but it's got to be in small parcels under a few pounds in weight, but takes around 10-16 weeks, but is dirt cheap and saying that most of the stuff my mother sends has arrived within 4 weeks, except when towards Christmas.

It's great way to send clothes and kids books that can all be wrapped flat
My Mum does this for me. She also does use Royal Mail for some Mothercare items that say "Mum" rather than "Mom"
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
My Mum does this for me. She also does use Royal Mail for some Mothercare items that say "Mum" rather than "Mom"
My mother uses those bubble wrap envelopes and sends stuff from M&S, Next and till recently, River Island, but the local store has stopped selling kids clothes.

Usually picking up great bargains in sales and they're great looking clothes, something different to the locals here and they don't tend to look naff and overly cutesy that Gymboree etc can be.