British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Panoramic view of Phoenix (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/panoramic-view-phoenix-206232/)

Pimpbot Jan 28th 2004 10:02 pm

Panoramic view of Phoenix

1 Attachment(s)
Taken from Camelback mountain this afternoon while cycling. Pics a little crappy as the weather wasn't that great.

Franklin Jan 28th 2004 10:11 pm

Yoooooooooooo!!!!!! Great outcrop of rock. I saw a lot of drop dead gorgeous colored outcrops and needle rock on my trip to Scottsdale. What a beautiful area. Just drop dead gorgeous. I got a ride in a limo around the residential areas, including a gated community to look at houses. cool: Many of the gardens just seemed to be desert, self sustaining minimum maintenance desert. With the "old men" cacti. ::D

:lecture: The driver told me that if anyone wanted to move or relocate a cactus they had to get permission (maybe he said permit). Apparently if you misplace the cactus (e.g. put the sun exposed side in the shade) it can die. :eek:

Jabba1 Jan 28th 2004 10:12 pm

Maybe you should try another pic from the same location on another day when the weather is a bit clearer.

Pimpbot Jan 28th 2004 10:13 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Camelback mountain is where the rich folks live. Everything off the main road that runs up the Phoenix side, is a private road. There are some beautiful and some strange looking modern houses up there.

Pimpbot Jan 28th 2004 10:14 pm

Originally posted by Jabba1
Maybe you should try another pic from the same location on another day when the weather is a bit clearer.
I sweated enough cycling up there today. You think I want to do it when the suns out?. lol

Pimpbot Jan 28th 2004 10:15 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Jabba1 Jan 28th 2004 10:55 pm

What's the flag for?

Pimpbot Jan 28th 2004 10:59 pm

Originally posted by Jabba1
What's the flag for?
Its in the front yard of a house. You just cannot see the house because of the steap drive.

Franklin Jan 29th 2004 12:17 am

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Camelback mountain is where the rich folks live. Everything off the main road that runs up the Phoenix side, is a private road. There are some beautiful and some strange looking modern houses up there.

Wow is all I can say, what a fantastic neighborhood! :) Stunning picture, keep them coming! Please ;)

Who managed to build right up on the side of that mountain? :D

edwords Jan 29th 2004 1:46 am

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the view from the other side of town, from the top of South Mountain. That's downtown Phoenix straight ahead and Camelback Mountain just beyond.

edwords Jan 29th 2004 1:58 am

1 Attachment(s)
I live in Gilbert, near Superstition Mountain, home of the legendary Lost Dutchman's Mine. Here's a pic I took of the mountain (actually a monolith) a couple of years ago.

edwords Jan 29th 2004 2:09 am

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a nice little home--Frank Lloyd Wright's place in Scottsdale: Taliesin West.

Franklin Jan 29th 2004 1:48 pm

Originally posted by edwords
Here's a nice little home--Frank Lloyd Wright's place in Scottsdale: Taliesin West.

Super pictures!!! :) I (and other members of my family) are big fans of Frank Lloyd Wright. We attended a display of architecture models a few years ago at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago. The display included several models of Wrights work, including a sky-scraper concept (mile high building). One of the models was of Falling Waters in PA. I hope to visit Falling Waters in the next year or two.

veryfunny Jan 29th 2004 2:10 pm

Last time I was in Pheonix I drove past a building built inside of a rock moutain. I think it is right opposite the university of Pheonix.

If my memory is still good I think it was on route 66, can you post a picture of it?

veryfunny Jan 29th 2004 2:11 pm

Originally posted by edwords
What a nice place to live.
So how much would this cost? any ideas?