Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Out of Control' Birthday Parties

'Out of Control' Birthday Parties

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation 'Out of Control' Birthday Parties

I heard an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about the organisers of a movement called "Birthdays Without Pressure". They're aiming to stop the madness of one-upmanship amongst parents and (precocious) children with OTT expectations and gifts.

My friend was telling me how hellish it is with children these days because of conforming with the norms amongst the peer group at her daughter's school. She spent a lot of money to bring in 'the lizard guy' with his exotic reptiles - for her daughter's birthday to entertain the children, then she complained about having to provide goody bags afterwards. She thought it odd that over here the parents don't seem to want to drop off their children and collect them later, they want to stay at the child's birthday party as well!

When I was a child we would just have the neighbouring kids round and perhaps a couple of cousins (none of this inviting the whole class!). My mum would make sandwiches, fairy cakes, jelly & ice-cream and there would be a birthday cake too. I was lucky to be born in the Summer so we would just often play games in the garden, but still remember playing 'pass the parcel', 'pin the tail on the donkey' etc. and had a great time. How times have changed...

http://www.birthdayswithoutpressure.com

http://www.birthdayswithoutpressure.com/quotes.html

When my son was 13 and we had moved to the US he was invited to a lot of bar mitzvahs and bat mitzvahs. The invitations were elaborate - just like wedding invitations and some of the parties were held in some very posh locations - it must have cost the parents a fortune, quite possibly as much as a wedding.

My son received invitations from kids he didn't even know (even he cynically wondered if it was to procure a nice gift!). One boy received a cheque for $30,000 from his uncle....
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Out of Control' Birthday Parties

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I heard an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about the organisers of a movement called "Birthdays Without Pressure". They're aiming to stop the madness of one-upmanship amongst parents and (precocious) children with OTT expectations and gifts.

My friend was telling me how hellish it is with children these days because of conforming with the norms amongst the peer group at her daughter's school. She spent a lot of money to bring in 'the lizard guy' with his exotic reptiles - for her daughter's birthday to entertain the children, then she complained about having to provide goody bags afterwards. She thought it odd that over here the parents don't seem to want to drop off their children and collect them later, they want to stay at the child's birthday party as well!

When I was a child we would just have the neighbouring kids round and perhaps a couple of cousins (none of this inviting the whole class!). My mum would make sandwiches, fairy cakes, jelly & ice-cream and there would be a birthday cake too. I was lucky to be born in the Summer so we would just often play games in the garden, but still remember playing 'pass the parcel', 'pin the tail on the donkey' etc. and had a great time. How times have changed...

When my son was 13 and we had moved to the US he was invited to a lot of bar mitzvahs and bat mitzvahs. The invitations were elaborate - just like wedding invitations and some of the parties were held in some very posh locations - it must have cost the parents a fortune, quite possibly as much as a wedding.

My son received invitations from kids he didn't even know (even he cynically wondered if it was to procure a nice gift!). One boy received a cheque for $30,000 from his uncle....
From your link - "A wealthy New York father throws a $10 million party for his 13 year old daughter’s birthday, including the band Aerosmith and $10,000 gift bags."

I want to be her friend
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:52 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

It'll end in tears (when the kids grow up)!

NC Penguin
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:46 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that, it was on Opera
Can't believe the idiots out there
Unless of course they are all Godfather families and you give generously in case you're killed
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I saw that, it was on Opera
Can't believe the idiots out there
Unless of course they are all Godfather families and you give generously in case you're killed
We do not have that big a problem, but as a matter of principal I would never do something I was not happy with to keep up with the Joneses.

I have noticed that the booze bill is a lot lot higher for the 7 year old, the 5 year must hang out with teetotallers. The 3 year old is a bit young to have accumulated a circle yet so we will have to wait and see.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:36 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
We do not have that big a problem, but as a matter of principal I would never do something I was not happy with to keep up with the Joneses.

I have noticed that the booze bill is a lot lot higher for the 7 year old, the 5 year must hang out with teetotallers. The 3 year old is a bit young to have accumulated a circle yet so we will have to wait and see.
Booze doesn't count as for kids parties you need a ton of it just to make it through!

And my spelling is dreadful I obviously meant to say Oprah!!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Either it's just an NYC, LA type thing or we don't know many 'well off' people 'cause the birthday parties around here aren't like that. My 11 yr old has been helping her friend plan her 12th birthday party which will be a sleep over with a friends and some DVDs. And most of the parties my 5 yr old has been to have been Chuck E Cheese's or similar.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

frankcoleman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nethead
Either it's just an NYC, LA type thing or we don't know many 'well off' people 'cause the birthday parties around here aren't like that. My 11 yr old has been helping her friend plan her 12th birthday party which will be a sleep over with a friends and some DVDs. And most of the parties my 5 yr old has been to have been Chuck E Cheese's or similar.
I don't understand why anyone would want to spend $10 million on a party when 99.9% of all children would be delighted with the above.

Or is that just me?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:05 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

It's much the same here as it was in the UK. Ordinary parties with sleepovers or the cinema. There is a general rule of no more than $15/20 for the gift and the goody bags just have sweets and some cake.
I was surprised as I had read that US parties were horrendously expensive things.
We are going to our first Bat Mitzvah on Saturday....not quite sure what to expect but we are not buying anything expensive.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty much the same in central NJ as back in England. One or two parents do like to go over the top but most parties are pretty much the same.

My daughter celebrated her 10th birthday this weekend and had a sleepover for 8 girls. They had pizza, chicken nuggets, mozzarella sticks and fries and the cake was a lovely chocolate cookie cake from Wegmans. They all had a great time painting their nails, watching DVDs, listening and dancing to music and just doing their own thing.

Total cost of the sleepover = about $150 (and lack of sleep).
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:41 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you can't buy culture, can you? One of the nicest things I went to last years was a Chi Dlo Dil - Navajo laughing baby party. The first person to make a baby laugh throws the party and becomes an important person in that child's life as they have helped the child find his spirit, and with it the ability of the child to interact and give of himself to others. It's a simple ceremony with a meal - each person thanks the baby for the gift of the meal and accepts salt from the baby as a continuation of the gift. Interesting contrast to the overblown birthday party.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:01 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

It's all part of the problem with the "classless" US society and social climbing/standing. MTV had a show about this kinda stuff where parents would through parties for their kids and spend more cash than the average person earns in a year. You then see the stuck up brats get mad because they only got the 2nd best Mercedes and not the top of the line one.