Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Our first "Welcome to America, here are our Dentistry fees"

Our first "Welcome to America, here are our Dentistry fees"

Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:19 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our first "Welcome to America, here are our Dentistry fees"

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
Have you absolutely checked that you need an SSN for your health insurance?
I would second this question.

Many, if not all, health insurers claim that you need an SSN to join their insurance, but it's bullshit. Their computer system may not be set up for people who don't have an SSN, but there is no legal requirement for an insured party to have an SSN. You need to get this resolved by talking to more senior people in the insurance company, one way or another.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Many, if not all, health insurers claim that you need an SSN to join their insurance, but it's bullshit. Their computer system may not be set up for people who don't have an SSN, but there is no legal requirement for an insured party to have an SSN. You need to get this resolved by talking to more senior people in the insurance company, one way or another.
A typical case of if an insurance company can find a way out of paying up...they will.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Yours is the second recent message I have seen from recently arrived UK immigrants complaining about the cost of dentistry in the US. As a UK immigrant myself who arrived here in 2000 I can vouch for the excellent dentistry here in the US. Yes you have to pay for it but, in my experience, you get good dentistry. Which is more than I can say for the dentistry in the UK. As you say, your UK dentist did nothing but treat the tooth with antibiotics instead of probably providing more extensive treatment. This is of course because in the UK the dentists are paid certain monies for the amount of patients on their lists and it pays them to provide as little treatment as possible. It was not until I changed to a private dentist in the UK that I learnt how much work my teeth needed. When I then came to the States this work continued and I now have a great set of teeth - people comment on how good my teeth look. Please stop whining. You have just arrived and already you are complaining about not having your SSN and having to pay for dental treatment. You will probably be able to claim this treatment once your insurance is sorted out. (Presume you have a job and your employer is providing it for you). In the US you pay for health and dental treatment - even if you have insurance. You should have been aware of this before you came. There are always additional charges etc etc. However once in the system it IS one of the best in the world; and I expect your son is feeling much better now he has had proper treatment.
This is so funny. You've just arrived on this website and already you're complaining about how people behave on here.

Edit: Can I whine about your lack of paragraph usage?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Ah well it had to happen. No:3 Son has had a problem with some of his teeth for about a year. One is so bad he's forever getting an abscess under the tooth but our NHS dentist in the UK refused to pull the tooth (it's a milk tooth) as it was cheaper to throw antibiotics at it than treat it. Last week no:3 son woke up with a ballooned out face and yet another abscess under his tooth. The dentist here, fixed him up with antibiotics and this morning pulled 2 of the teeth. Total cost so far...$850 (x-rays, nitrous oxide, extractions etc). We have to go back next week for a spacer to be fitted at another $100.

The thing I'm bitching about is we can't claim this on our insurance yet as we still don't have a bloody SSN, our details still haven't been processed from NJ over 3 weeks ago and we're still not in the system. We're rapidly running out of cash now but thank god it's pay day on Friday, we can struggle along till then on rice and beans but not for much longer than that.

Sorry about that, just need a bloody good rant about the SSN and a at the cost of the dentistry.
I don't understand this statement. Do you ...

(1) already have health insurance and you believe that you cannot use it because of the lack of a SS# ?

Or are you ..

(2) trying to get health insurance and cannot get approved yet because of the lack of a SSN?

If the former is the case, other than Champus and Feca (government sponsored insurance plans), a social security number is no longer required for health insurance claims. Previously the HCFA 1500 (standard insurance claim form) required the SS# on all claims but that was amended quite some time ago.

If the latter is the case then you may be screwed.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

True, legally you don't have to have a SS to buy insurance. But they don't legally have to sell the policy to you if you refuse (or are unable) to provide one either. In the case of a recent expat the insurance company may have a way of circumventing the issue - specially in the case of an employer sponsored plan. Regardless, (assuming the OP is not insured yet), ideally the matter would have been addressed and resolved before they sought medical/dental care.

Again, if the OP is already insured and it is just a matter of "using" the insurance, a SS# is not necessary.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:10 pm
WTF?

Lol I'll moan as much as I like thanks. I know perfectly well how the system works here and yes I can claim the money back. It's the sudden expense of it I am horrified about and the fact we are rapidly running out of cash because of the hold up with our SSN. Blimey, I didn't expect such a bollocking
Actually I think you have a good grounds to moan if you are here on an employer sponsored visa with a contract that provides for health insurance. Being uninsured under these circumstances is unacceptable. What if a pack of wild dogs ripped your arms off? Who would pay for that?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:50 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Actually I think you have a good grounds to moan if you are here on an employer sponsored visa with a contract that provides for health insurance. Being uninsured under these circumstances is unacceptable. What if a pack of wild dogs ripped your arms off? Who would pay for that?
Well Hubcaps couldn't as she wouldn't be able to write the check

Anyway - I digress... I have nothing else to add to this other than it is ok to moan, this site is certainly not a "moan free zone"!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Yes we have all kinds of wonderful insurance provided by my husband's company. He says that it's all accessed by the company intranet and to enter the site you have to enter your SSN.
From what he and HR say we are covered and not to panic (he'll be in hospital for surgical reattachment of dangly bits if this isn't the case, insured or not). The company offers more than one type of plan but we can only pick which one by using the intranet site which cannot be accessed until we have the SSN. It's not a case of not having the insurance as not having access to it yet.
We'll be fine come pay day.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:24 pm
WTF?

Yes we have all kinds of wonderful insurance provided by my husband's company. He says that it's all accessed by the company intranet and to enter the site you have to enter your SSN.
From what he and HR say we are covered and not to panic (he'll be in hospital for surgical reattachment of dangly bits if this isn't the case, insured or not). The company offers more than one type of plan but we can only pick which one by using the intranet site which cannot be accessed until we have the SSN. It's not a case of not having the insurance as not having access to it yet.
That's good to know.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
This is what I hate about America. Bloody wild dogs ripping your arms off, left and right.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the employer could just assign fake SS numbers until the real ones are available.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:03 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is what I hate about America. Bloody wild dogs ripping your arms off, left and right.
And it's never really clear who exactly is responsible for the bill.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe the employer could just assign fake SS numbers until the real ones are available.
Maybe but we've been told to sit tight and wait. It's not long to go now.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:18 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of the space maintainer sounds pretty reasonable to me - they are much more expensive where I work, but the other work that has been done we are cheaper on - an extraction is only $128 before insurance.

Hopefully your little one is feeling much better now
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
This is so funny. You've just arrived on this website and already you're complaining about how people behave on here.

Edit: Can I whine about your lack of paragraph usage?
I was just about to say something similar!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.