Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OT: A Done Deal !!!!!!!! Saga Update Long

OT: A Done Deal !!!!!!!! Saga Update Long

Old Oct 5th 2001, 7:54 pm
Andy Platt

How could you not notice the difference?! Everything from the questions they ask, the
constant presence of police, the not allowing non-ticketed passengers beyond the
security checkpoints was quite different to US airports (pre-Sept. 11th).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 6th 2001, 1:05 am
Doug Melville

Yep, I noticed this too. In the UK the security was very obvious to me, (Armed Police
with Heckler & Koch machine pistols, conscientious security checks etc.... Australia
was similar. The US seemed very very lax by comparison (LAX & Phoenix anyway) I
commented on it in an earlier post.

Doug

>
they
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I never really noticed much difference between UK airport security and the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > security here... my husband pointed out, that yes, there were armed guards there-[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I probably walked right by them on my way to the airport Body Shop and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Accessorize, and that the people working the security cue are well(at least[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > better paid), adequetely trained professionals, unlike the cursory minimum wage[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > security staff you see in most airports on this side of the pond. As far as being[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > nervous and on edge... yes, I've been that way lately. I'm going to a baseball[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > game tonite anyway (Cal Ripken's 2nd to last), and still plan on flying back to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the UK to spend Xmas with Paul's family...albeit with white knuckles this time.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Rita- hang in there. I've got close friends up in NYC, one of whom was 3 blocks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > away when the second plane hit. You are undoubtedly more affected than the rest[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of us, and we all are, nonetheless. But I'm gonna do my best to enjoy my life as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > best as I can regardless. That doesn't mean I'm not scared...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > K-1 couple- me (USC), my new husband (UKC)[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 6th 2001, 2:26 pm
Jonathan_atc

That way the terrorists win.

>