Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ordering Checks in the US?

Ordering Checks in the US?

Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ordering Checks in the US?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Who in the world would use a box of checks a year?????
I use several.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I use several.
Seems to be thing for the more mature woman then!
Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I think bounced checks are far more commonplace here in the US NC, you're right. I do know that we rarely wrote checks in the UK (everything was covered by DD or we used our card) I certainly liked that system better. And yes I agree the US is a bit backwards in banking....but things are starting to come around. I know my husband thought it was a bit archaic that his pay couldn't just go directly into the bank, but it does now. We have a few bills taken out of our account, but for the most part I pay just about everything online. We have a credit union (much better than a bank in my opinion) so our checks don't cost a lot anyway.

Like NCP, I still write checks monthly. In fact I just reordered checks on Friday and was charged $13.90 for 300 dup checks when ordering through my bank.

I tried online banking and had major problems with the phone company because of their dislike for my bank and our rental agent will not take anything but checks for the rent. Insurances and other utilities come directly out of the account monthly.

As for direct deposit, I have had my paycheck direct deposited since the early 1990's with no service charge for checking account and/or ATM transactions when using the bank's own ATM's. I do use online banking to make transfers to myself between accounts and to pay the same bank's charge card online.

But the funniest is my brother-in-law who still today refuses to have an ATM card. He will only deal with a live person at the bank itself and keeps hundreds of dollars in cash in a drawer at home so that he never has to use a card at the store or an ATM. He refused to allow my father to sign up for direct deposit for his social security check and pension nor allow my father to get an ATM card. So both of them (living in the same household) have hidden money in the house for emergencies. The only reason either of them have direct deposit now is because it is mandatory and they have no choice in the matter.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 10th 2005 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I use several.

I use three boxes a year minimum.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I use three boxes a year minimum.
And there rests the case for the prosecution, m'lud.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:00 pm
Concierge

And there rests the case for the prosecution, m'lud.

Honestly don't see what is so great about online bill paying. You don't pay instantly. The bank still sends the money and it takes a minimum of three days to get there and clear. So what is the big deal?

Just because you think it is wonderful doesn't mean that I have to like it as well or follow suit. My hubby does all his Canadian banking from the US online. He would not have it any other way and he is fine with my paying our US bills out of my US account with a check.

;-)
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
My Wife...and thats boxes plural...I let her have her little pleasures...
Sheesh. She has to pay for her "little pleasures"? Where do you come into the equation?

NC Penguin
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:03 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So both of them (living in the same household) have hidden money in the house for emergencies. The only reason either of them have direct deposit now is because it is mandatory and they have no choice in the matter.
Emergencies? Like the house going up in flames?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Sheesh. She has to pay for her "little pleasures"? Where do you come into the equation?
NC Penguin
Sorry Normam ... I though you knew ....I dont actually exist in the real world...I am just a grey box with wires, chips and buttons...
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:07 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, my least favorite people are those who use checks in supermarkets. Started a nice little argument in Albertsons the other month when I accused the guy in front of me of looking like a check writer. What amazed me the most was that everyone else in the queue weighed in on one side of the argument or the other, instead of trying hard to ignore the event.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:08 pm
Septicity

Honestly don't see what is so great about online bill paying. You don't pay instantly. The bank still sends the money and it takes a minimum of three days to get there and clear. So what is the big deal?
Advantages:
* You don't have to buy checks
* You don't have to buy stamps
* There is another party (the bank) directly involved in the transaction. If something goes wrong (e.g. they say they didn't receive your payment), you have better recourse.
* It's more secure
* You don't get that yucchy taste licking the envelopes
* You don't have to find a pen

The delay is the failure of the US banking system. In some more advanced countries, the payment is real time. You can pay the bill at 11:59 pm and you'll make it!

Last edited by fatbrit; Jan 10th 2005 at 5:18 pm. Reason: Forgot a point
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:54 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Actually, my least favorite people are those who use checks in supermarkets. Started a nice little argument in Albertsons the other month when I accused the guy in front of me of looking like a check writer. What amazed me the most was that everyone else in the queue weighed in on one side of the argument or the other, instead of trying hard to ignore the event.
It appears it divides this board as well!

I think the American banking system has two great things to offer the rest of the world:

1) Drive-thru' ATM and teller services. Doesn't do much for your figure but boy is it convenient.

2) The best loan and investment products in the world with easy access to them (unfortunately, it also has the worst).

The rest of the system is pile of total crap.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:55 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Ordering Checks in the US?

Advantages:
* You don't have to buy checks
* You don't have to buy stamps
* There is another party (the bank) directly involved in the transaction. If something goes wrong (e.g. they say they didn't receive your payment), you have better recourse.
* It's more secure
* You don't get that yucchy taste licking the envelopes
* You don't have to find a pen

In some more advanced countries, the payment is real time. You can pay the bill at 11:59 pm and you'll make it!
I'm so with you on this check thing - its a load of b0llocks, the archaic banking system is up there along with healthcare as things i think are crap in the USA

My BOA billpay is just a way for them to write a check instead of me, but a couple of clicks is a lot easier than getting a pen, envelope and stamps out

I've made my wife lose the whole check habit, although she did write a $2.50 check to TCBY the other day

I made her buy me subway as a penalty
Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:01 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
i use checks in the supermarkets.....
Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa

The other thing that gets me and I dont know if its just a Wisconsin thing is being charged an extortionate insurance fee if you cannot put down a 20% deposit when getting a mortgage. Is this nationwide?
I think it is we had exactly the same problem and we live in California, we were advised to remorgage after maybe six months to avoid having to continue paying but it all seems a bit too complicated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.