Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Options for UK Pension (Defined Contribution)

Options for UK Pension (Defined Contribution)

Old Dec 16th 2022, 5:46 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for UK Pension (Defined Contribution)

Originally Posted by porkedpie
Thanks for the explanation.
So then it would seem the reasons are/might be:
1. If SIPP fees are lower than your employer plan fees.
2. If your employer plan doesn't offer investments you want.
3. If your employer plan doesn't offer drawdown.
3a. Opportunity to avoid WEP
3a. Opportunity to manage income (e.g. for medicare costs) & tax.

And seems the only option as of now would be a circuitous and costly route to AJ Bell.
As an aside, I know expats in many countries who still use a UK address (e.g. family) for various purposes. The uses may or may not be practical or legal.
It is a circuitous route for sure, but even with the fees it can be very financially advantageous over the long haul. Fees are typically about 2.5 to 3% of the pot to transfer to an International SIPP but they can be recouped many times over with the right strategy. The transfer to AJ Bell is free. The one time advice fee of about £2,500 may or may not be significant depending upon the size of the entire pot to be transferred.

Using alternate UK addresses won’t get past the UK financial advisors required to provide the necessary advice, it is not just the address that is the issue. Anyone using an alternate UK address to avoid US foreign account reporting is digging a huge hole for themselves because it provides evidence of intent to avoid detection and can result in significantly heavier penalties than those who would otherwise qualify for some of the remaining amnesty plans out there.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 7:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
.... or defer taking the funds until much later in life thus avoiding WEP for longer ensuring that more of the cumulative payment exceeds the monthly maximum. .....
I believe that such "deferred funds" have to be disclosed at the time that SS is first drawn, as WEP is a one-time calculation, not something that can be updated as your foreign/ from non-SS-chargeable earnings pension(s) change, so I don't think what you're suggesting will work to avoid or reduce WEP.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 10:06 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I believe that such "deferred funds" have to be disclosed at the time that SS is first drawn, as WEP is a one-time calculation, not something that can be updated as your foreign/ from non-SS-chargeable earnings pension(s) change, so I don't think what you're suggesting will work to avoid or reduce WEP.
i was told (by SS) that any foreign pension needs to be disclosed but that the WEP calculation would be performed when payment of an overseas pension commenced not when SS commenced in which case deferring an overseas pension works. I am not there yet so I cannot confirm that but I know of others that have been told the same thing. But in any case it highlights the benefits of avoiding WEP by using a SIPP to effectively eliminate the pension.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 10:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

i was told (by SS) that any foreign pension needs to be disclosed but that the WEP calculation would be performed when payment of an overseas pension commenced not when SS commenced ...
OK, that's interesting, and is consistent with what I heard, I think, but still means that there is a one-time WEP calculation, so your plan only works if you can defer all WEPable pensions, and the first time you draw any single WEPable pension, the whole WEP calculation crystalizes.
... it highlights the benefits of avoiding WEP by using a SIPP to effectively eliminate the pension.
By random dumb luck, not part of any plan, I will reach 30 years of SS contributions around age 65, and thereby escape WEP entirely.

That said, I am still thinking of using up my UK private pension funds entirely between retiring and commencing drawing SS and/or my UK state pension, thereby boosting one or both.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 16th 2022 at 10:28 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 10:23 pm
Furby

Originally Posted by Pulaski
By random dumb luck, not part of any plan, I will reach 30 years of SS contributions around age 65, and thereby escape WEP entirely.
The best plan of all of them!
Old Dec 17th 2022, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

i was told (by SS) that any foreign pension needs to be disclosed but that the WEP calculation would be performed when payment of an overseas pension commenced not when SS commenced in which case deferring an overseas pension works. I am not there yet so I cannot confirm that but I know of others that have been told the same thing. But in any case it highlights the benefits of avoiding WEP by using a SIPP to effectively eliminate the pension.
That is how it happened with my wife. The WEP reduction in her SS didn’t happen until she started drawing her OAP. She doesn’t have any other pensions so I don’t know about how that would effect timing if the start of the first pension was below the max WEP amount.

In my case I will be at 28 years when I apply for SS in 2 years however I am already drawing OAP plus 2 other private pensions so the WEP will start immediately.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

ReadingtoHouston is an unknown quantity at this point

Update on my Defined Contribution pension transfer to the AJ SIPP

I opened the AJ Bell SIPP account and transferred my Standard life defined contribution pension to the AJ Bell SIPP account. These are the steps you must follow, and it is some work.

a) Open the AJ Bell SIPP account by giving the US address details. After completing the application @ AJ Bell website, it didn't automatically open an account for me. I was told someone from the new account department would contact me in 24 hours. I saved the online confirmation number. Nothing happened for three days, and I chatted with their representative by giving the online application confirmation number. Things started moving after the chat, and I got an email asking for identity and address proof. I was asked to notarize the documents and send them through email. I took my passport and water bill to the local UPS and got the notarized copies (It cost me less than $20). I sent an email with documents (PDFs), and then the account was opened.

b) I submitted the transfer request in the AJ Bell SIPP account by giving my Standard Life Pension details. No timelines were given. I was in contact with Standard Life and told them I wanted to transfer my defined contribution pension to SIPP. I was told I could do it, but they can't open SIPP (which they offer) for US residents. So I contacted them again and informed them that I opened an AJ Bell SIPP account and submitted the pension transfer through them. Standard life didn't mention the pension advisor in the transfer process. My pension amount was greater than 30000 GBP. Standard life sent an email with an address mismatch between my pension account and the transfer request (AJ Bell sent them US address details). I emailed the requested identity and address proof (I sent them the same documents which were sent to AJ Bell). I got confirmation that the transfer would happen in 7 days.

c) AJ Bell sent an email with a deposit confirmation. I can see the amount in the account and look for US shares quotes. AJ Bell has CDI to hold US shares. I assume this is pretty standard. They charge 0.073% for forex and trade dealing charges. Not all US shares are available and don't compare with Robinhood. I am looking at growth shares I can hold for at least 10 to 15 years. They didn't ask me to fill out W-8BEN; again, I assume they will ask me to fill out this form at some point.

It took 1.5 months from opening the account to the final transfer, and these timelines were during the holiday season. Thanks for all the help.

Is there anything I need to consider before I purchase the US shares in my SIPP account? I am 41 years and don't have plans to retire before 65.

Last edited by ReadingtoHouston; Jan 23rd 2023 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 9:11 pm
Furby

Many congratulations on getting this done, as you say it is not a simple task. This is great up to date feedback for anyone else wanting to transfer a Defined Contribution plan vs a Defined Benefit Plan that is greater than £30,000 in value. The latter legally requiring specialized and hard to obtain advice before the transfer can occur, the former does not require this advice and is therefore a much simpler process.

With regard to what to look out for going forward. You need to declare on an FBAR and on Form 8938 with your tax return if you meet the thresholds. Some will advise that you should report the account on Form 3520 as a Foreign Trust instead of an account on Form 8938, but that is a very complicated form to complete likely needing professional assistance at least for the first time, whereas Form 8938 is a simple and easy to complete form. The IRS has never prosecuted anyone for using Form 8938 vs Form 3520, but the requirements are ambiguous so maybe they could if they decide that is the appropriate form. But to this point in time they have not chosen to state unequivocally which way is correct, and many of us go with the Form 8938 route and lose no sleep in doing so.

Anything inside of the SIPP is not considered to be a PFIC until withdrawn from the SIPP so you avoid that nightmare.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Jan 23rd 2023 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2023, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

And form 3520 isn't required any more for UK pensions per Revenue Procedure 2020-17 from what i've read.
Old Jan 24th 2023, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Glasglow Girl and Neill, for the information.

I want to hedge my pension with the decrease in the GBP value over time (I am not predicting this, but my retirement expense will be in the $$) And also want to take advantage of US stock market growth. Therefore, I converted my pension to SIPP and planning to purchase US stock for growth and hedging. Any comments on this strategy?
Old Jan 24th 2023, 6:42 pm
Furby

Interesting. I have the same situation but a different approach. I have an AJ Bell SIPP in £, and 401K/IRA/savings in $, with retirement expenses likely in $. I am keeping my SIPP in assets denominated in £ which still provides exposure to the US market and all worldwide markets, the same as I can do with my $ assets. My thinking is that I can withdraw from the SIPP when I feel that the exchange rate is favorable, and the 401K/IRA when it is not, effectively hedging against the exchange rate.

Of course buying international assets denominated in £ when the £ is weak and selling when the £ is strong would be a very bad move because you are effectively buying high and selling low since the fund price is impacted by the exchange rate so there is that risk. On the other hand overseas earnings when translated from other currencies are much stronger when the pound is weak so that also impacts the share price but this time favorably. I don’t think you want to be trading assets denominated in £ on a frequent basis, you want be in it for the long haul, or in a position to act fast when conditions are favorable. Bottom line is that all stock market investments carry some kind of risk, usually lots!

In any case when the £ is weak any funds purchased after exchanging £ into $ will also be more expensive than they would be with a stronger pound. So whether buying $ denominated assets with recently exchanged £, or buying international assets with the same £, it will probably result in the same overall cost, but at least the earnings in the £ denominated assets provide a boost to the share price when the £ is weak as it most certainly is right now. Over the long haul the exchange rate will vary so it is a crap shoot whatever you do. About 10 years ago we were at almost $2 to the £. (Don’t think it will ever get even close to that again in my lifetime, but who knows).

If the exchange rate rockets in favor of the £, I will exchange whatever cash I have on hand into $, but until then I like spreading the risk. I won’t get uber sized returns but as they say in the stock market, pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. I don’t think there a right or wrong, better or worse strategy, there are a ton of pros and cons for either. Be interesting to compare notes in 10 years!

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Jan 24th 2023 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2023, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. It will be interesting to see how it will unravel in the next ten years.
Old Jan 25th 2023, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Using a similar approach to my retirement as i have to raising our children (benign neglect), i appear to have ended up in a similar position re: pensions as our financial guru, Glasgow Girl. That's made my day!
Old Jan 27th 2023, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting and enlightening discussion. Thank you to all contributors. As I decide on options I would be interested to hear from anyone who has sucessfully navigated the conversion having to take the mandatory advice froma UK financial advisor as mentioned they seem to be hard to come by = advisors. And my 'pot' sits squarely just over the mandatory amount so finding a cost effective advisor is tough?
Old Jan 28th 2023, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

ukmark62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Normally, when you withdraw a lump sum from any kind of foreign retirement pot, SS will commute that amount into what they consider to be the equivalent monthly amount, and that amount would be included in the monthly WEP calculation.

However, If you convert your pension into a lump sum prior to reaching pension age, and forfeit all rights to a pension then my understanding is that SS does not consider those funds to be subject to WEP. The key is that you must convert prior to being eligible for the pension, and one would assume prior to taking US Social Security at an earlier age than your foreign pension allows.
I have cashed in 3 small uk pension pots. Total of 24k (after tax) and all these pensions are now closed. I did this at age 60. The normal retirement date for these pensions was 65. One of the pension pots was a very small pension I started in about 1990 and contributed for a year and then stopped (FSAVC?). This consisted solely of voluntary contributions from my own income (not a work pension at all). The other 2 (21k in total) were work pensions where I worked a total of 28 months.

Am I correct in saying that these 3 small pensions would not need to be declared as and when I apply for US SS???
TIA

Last edited by ukmark62; Jan 28th 2023 at 8:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.