Options....

Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options....

Originally Posted by JTSB
I know that my options are limited at the moment for moving to the US. I don't have a partner who is a USC. I have a History degree but I doubt whether that will get me far. I want to go into teaching. At the moment I'm a Teaching Assistant and I could do my training ASAP - hopefully being a teacher would improve my chances of getting an H1B. failing that, get a job in a UK office which has a US office!

One question I did have though. If i got the job I'm applying for as a Cultural Representative in Epcot at Disney World, I'd be out there for a year on a J-1 visa. Will this open some doors of opportunity for me? Could I apply for some jobs whilst I'm working at Disney with some companies who would pay for my H1B once my Disney job has ended? Or is that unrealistic?
Being a teacher, won't help...schools can't afford the process and you'd need to requalify for most states anyway.

Unless you're talking uni levels.

The J1 thing, well it opens up connections and you might meet someone. Other than that, well if you aren't looking like a prospective before the J1, that kind of work will probably not make you much better post, for a H1 at least.

Basically, find a career path that'll do it, teaching unfortunately won't be realistic.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Options....

TBH there are thousands of unemployed teachers in most States in the US.

My son's girlfriend qualified as a teacher a few months ago. Only two students in her graduating year have managed to get full-time teaching posts in New Jersey and many teachers have been made redundant due to budget cuts
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

OP - is it specifically the US you want to get to, or do you want to get out of the UK? Would Canada or Australia be somewhere you'd consider? Or elsewhere in the EU? All of which would be much easier than the US to get into.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

JTSB is an unknown quantity at this point

Both Australia and Canada are definitely options though ultimately, the US is my preferred choice/ultimate goal. 3 friends have just gone out there - one to work in the Daily Mail office in NYC, one got a graduate year long job with the BOA in NYC and one has just gone out to Washington state to be an au-pair. It can be done but I need to find a way!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Both Australia and Canada are definitely options though ultimately, the US is my preferred choice/ultimate goal. 3 friends have just gone out there - one to work in the Daily Mail office in NYC, one got a graduate year long job with the BOA in NYC and one has just gone out to Washington state to be an au-pair. It can be done but I need to find a way!
Fair enough - just don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Good luck to you anyway
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What about if i get the yer in Disney in Florida on the J-1? Will that make things any easier for me, apart from meeting a female USC?
An H1B job position opening needs to require a degree. You have to have the degree that matches the job description. So even though you'll be in the USA on a J-1 and can somehow "make connections", your degree is in teaching, so you'd really only be eligible for teaching positions. Which, as you've seen, are scarce.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
An H1B job position opening needs to require a degree. You have to have the degree that matches the job description. So even though you'll be in the USA on a J-1 and can somehow "make connections", your degree is in teaching, so you'd really only be eligible for teaching positions. Which, as you've seen, are scarce.

Rene
If it matter....his degree will be in something else, PGCE, is post-grad.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

My degree isn't in teaching. I haven't actually trained to teach in the UK yet. My degree is in History. My History degree was a four-year undergraduate Bachelor of the Arts degree (standard degree length in the UK) and is equivalent to a US 4-year Bachelors degree.

In the UK, you can do a 4-year undergraduate degree which results in Masters and Qualified Teacher Status (Early Childhood Studies or something like that) or you can do a subject-based 3-year Bachelors degree (like I did in Histro) and then do a seperate year-long teacher training course to get Qualified Teacher Status.

Last edited by JTSB; Nov 9th 2011 at 10:38 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, by the way I'm James, 22, from Southend in Essex, UK.
My home town!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

If you do get the job at Disney give me a shout as I live right above DW

Good luck!

Vicki
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:07 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm loving your optimism JTSB

Keep going - I'm sure you're gonna get there/here!

Good luck.

PS: Before anyone points out I'm being all pink and fluffy, and not taking into account visa requirements, I know! I just wanted to enjoy the fact a 22 year old has the gumption (sp?) to plug away at his ambition
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! I know people are just trying to be realistic but I can't for a second believe that it's not possible.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:05 pm
I have a comma problem

Thanks! I know people are just trying to be realistic but I can't for a second believe that it's not possible.
Not impossible, mate. Difficult and may take time, but it can be done, provided you can get yourself into one of the visa categories outlined in 'Pulaski's Ways' - the really, really read me sticky (which I think you've read.)

You're doing it the right way - for what it's worth.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It is odd, all these people wanting to get to America, and here I am, never had a thought of wanting to move here; even when I was traveling, I only gave New York a days stop-over (other than visits to the to-be missus) If so many of us end up here by happenstance, its got to be doable for someone who plans it out.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:13 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It is odd, all these people wanting to get to America, and here I am, never had a thought of wanting to move here; even when I was traveling, I only gave New York a days stop-over (other than visits to the to-be missus) If so many of us end up here by happenstance, its got to be doable for someone who plans it out.
I'm only here because I can't knob my wife from the UK

(or the clean version, as a matter of convenience ...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.