Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the Oprah/James Frey Story Over the Top?

Is the Oprah/James Frey Story Over the Top?

Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:38 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Oprah/James Frey Story Over the Top?

Who the hell is James Frey and should I even care?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:40 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Who the hell is James Frey and should I even care?

nahhhhh get back to bed
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:44 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nahhhhh get back to bed
I'm out of the loop.

I don't watch Oprah (too smug).

I don't watch Larry King (too smarmy).

I do watch a lot of reruns of Law and Order though. Was this Frey guy ever on Law and Order?

Or Family Guy? Was he ever spoofed on Family Guy?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I just finished reading the book - and did see the interview on Oprah yesterday.

I've never been an Oprah fan - but it seemed the whole show was about her, not about James Frey or the book. She couldn't stop going on about how she was so embarassed etc. Despite the fact that 90% of the book is true. Is anyones memoir 100% accurate? I doubt it.

I don't think I ever felt cheated or betrayed. The fundamental points of the book remain true. I don't really care if he spent three months or three hours in jail.

Oprah just wanted to get in to a row and he wasn't taking her bait.

Besides - I would think anyone that messed up on drugs and alchold to the extent he was - wouldn't have a perfect memory.

Just my 2 cents....
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I just finished reading the book - and did see the interview on Oprah yesterday.

yep i agree and i'm not an oprah fan either .... she has her empire to protect here
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TruBrit
she has her empire to protect here
It certainly seems that was all the show was about.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
It certainly seems that was all the show was about.
hmm yep i got that impression
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:59 am
WTF?

I'm out of the loop.

I don't watch Oprah (too smug).

I don't watch Larry King (too smarmy).

I do watch a lot of reruns of Law and Order though. Was this Frey guy ever on Law and Order?

Or Family Guy? Was he ever spoofed on Family Guy?
Or Jon Stewart? Was he ever a guest on the Jon Stewart show?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:00 am
Account Closed

lol like i said get back to bed, ain't nothin' for you to worry about..
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:03 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Oprah is a self serving, self-obsessed piece of dung in my opinion. As far as Im concerned she preys on peoples emotions to further her own career and fortune.

I wouldnt give her the time of day if I saw her laying in the gutter.
Good, I'm glad other people dislike Oprah. She needs to come down a few pegs. Unfortunately, the damage limitation show will make her even more popular with the fans.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:09 am
WTF?

Oprah is the devil.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Oprah is a self serving, self-obsessed piece of dung in my opinion. As far as Im concerned she preys on peoples emotions to further her own career and fortune.

I wouldnt give her the time of day if I saw her laying in the gutter.

Who??? Saint Oprah??? No way..............

You're going to hell for that, you know

(K sent)
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:28 am

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen enough Oprah shows where she gushes and praises people in such a fake manner that this just seemed the same to me. You see, my problem with Oprah is that everything is about her. So a show where Frey comes on and reveals that his tall-tale is just that, has nothing to do with him and is all about her. And that's how Today, Good Morning America and the rest ran with it this morning - "Oprah Is Sad." Well boo hoo.

I also find it strange that people actually go in for her book club recommendations. To me it's a smaller version of her give-away show. What I mean is that once a year Oprah indulges in a giant give-away so that people can point out how unbelievably generous she is. That show will inevitably make the evening news also. Of course, companies are just begging to give stuff away on that episode. Oprah's staff are left inundated with various products that assorted companies are desperate to market through her TV show. But the rub is that Oprah endorses every product as if she handpicked it herself, and had to tell everyone about. Which is often difficult - the Video Ipod is a case in point - not only did she have no idea how to work it, but she confessed that she'd been told by lots of people that it's the next big thing. That's pretty much how she does her Book Club shows as well. Except she'll have a promo shot of herself amongst a pile of books which she herself has endorsed.

I bet she takes cortizol too.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:45 am
WTF?

Is he any relation to that Amber Frey bimbo?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

With her give aways - it is not Oprah buying the products and then giving them away. It is the companies who suck up the loss for her endorsement.

For example when she gave the cars away - she didn't pay the taxes, and many of the people she gave the cars away to, didn't have that kind of cash lying around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.