Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

opposite side

opposite side

Old May 5th 2008, 4:53 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: opposite side

It's not too difficult but you do need to have your wits about you! It'll probably take you a day or two to get your head around it all. Also, don't be alarmed -people will undertake you as well as overtake on the freeway - it's the norm here. Oh, and you can turn right on a red traffic light, coast being clear of course (best thing since sliced bread )

Last edited by JEM3110; May 5th 2008 at 4:57 pm.
Old May 5th 2008, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, you in the middle of the road, passenger to the kirb. Oh yeah and don't be surpised if you get honked at for not turning on red.
Old May 5th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadnad
i am visiting america for 1 month. i drive in uk and was thinking of renting a car in usa. from experience did people found it difficult to be driving on the opposite side of the road.
Only when I'm really tired. I found myself sitting on the wrong side of the road at a set of traffic lights on the way to work one morning. I was literally sitting there trying to figure out why the cars facing me (at the red light opposite) were on the wrong side of the road.
Old May 5th 2008, 6:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Only when I'm really tired. I found myself sitting on the wrong side of the road at a set of traffic lights on the way to work one morning. I was literally sitting there trying to figure out why the cars facing me (at the red light opposite) were on the wrong side of the road.
I bet I can guess your next thought!
Old May 5th 2008, 6:46 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
"What's that smell?"
Old May 5th 2008, 6:50 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
[I'm driving a rental now while car is in the shop -- I have to return it with a full tank else they add on $7.50 a gallon -- which is over $3 more than local price of gas.]

Enjoy your trip.
By the time you get that car back, that will probably be the local price of gas.

Old May 5th 2008, 7:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Backing up will be tricky [I've know UK expats who still have trouble backing out of their own driveways after 20 years!]. For the first two days or so, parallel parking will be a bitch.
parallel parking shouldn't be any different as you can park on either side of the street in the UK...
Old May 6th 2008, 7:49 pm
Barmy Harmy

Harm is an unknown quantity at this point

It is pretty easy really. You just have to know the small rules. My first experience driving here in the US was at 1am on a cold February morning after flight delays. Snow falling at about 3ft an hour, but they did a superb job of clearing the motorways, otherwise I am sure I'd have ended up buried off the road. But the rules such as when it says "STOP" you have to stop. If they catch you even rolling, you get a ticket. Their police can be pretty unforgiving about speeding too, even if you're a few miles per hour over too.

Other than that, the only issue i had with driving on the other side, was where do i put my right elbow (as being in the UK, you always put it by the window), but unless you drive a beast with an armrest, you'll find that you have no idea what to do with your right arm at times with all the automatics that you get here!!!

But good luck, I am sure you won't find it hard!
Old May 6th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It was something like.. "Oh shit!"
Old May 7th 2008, 2:48 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
It was something like.. "Oh shit!"
Ha! I nailed it!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadnad
i am visiting america for 1 month. i drive in uk and was thinking of renting a car in usa. from experience did people found it difficult to be driving on the opposite side of the road.

Brits are way better drivers then Americans. Brits just adapt better then most.
Most Brits are more then capable of driving in foreign countries, LH or RH drive.
Virtually all Americans, are incapable of driving anywhere that does not drive LH drive.
I have known & met many US drivers, in fact the instructor who gave me the original 3 hour video course, that were scared to drive in UK. SCARY really.
Frank R.
Old May 7th 2008, 8:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Brits are way better drivers then Americans. Brits just adapt better then most.
Most Brits are more then capable of driving in foreign countries, LH or RH drive.
Virtually all Americans, are incapable of driving anywhere that does not drive LH drive.
I have known & met many US drivers, in fact the instructor who gave me the original 3 hour video course, that were scared to drive in UK. SCARY really.
Frank R.
You seem to be having a really bad week, Frank. Everything OK?
Old May 8th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You seem to be having a really bad week, Frank. Everything OK?
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Does it show.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

The first time I arrived in the US it was 1am, I'd been travelling for nearly a day, I got in a rental car and promptly drove the wrong way up the freeway. Luckily I noticed in time to do a U-turn.

My parents did exactly the same thing in Florida last year.

So I suppose the moral of the story is don't drive anywhere near me or my family (we're all in Maine right now btw).
Old May 8th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

runningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nice

I manage to drive here fine now... whe first driving i used to veer across and ride the cats eyes a bit but now im very used to where i should be....

I drive a manual here too The instructor at the DMV almost had a heart attack - female, english, manual drive - huh unheard of apparently - Whatever!!

now what you have to be more careful of is the sodding trollies left in carparks and how they like to just ram them into your car with no worries about scratches and dents

Mr RB is never happy about that :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.