Reload this Page >

Opportunity to move to USA

Opportunity to move to USA

Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Mike367 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opportunity to move to USA

Good afternoon,

I’m new to the site but was wondering if anybody has experience of how long it takes to get permission to work in the USA and can I start the application process from the UK. My wife has been offered a job in California and we would like to follow her out once she is settled.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity to move to USA

Originally Posted by Mike367 View Post
Good afternoon,

I’m new to the site but was wondering if anybody has experience of how long it takes to get permission to work in the USA and can I start the application process from the UK. My wife has been offered a job in California and we would like to follow her out once she is settled.
Welcome to BE.

Your wife’s prospective employer must start the visa process and hopefully include you and any children you may have when they apply for her visa.

Do you know what type of visa they will be applying for? This will determine whether you will be able to work in the US.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Good afternoon,

Firstly, what visa are the company applying for?. Have a read of this https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA that will tell you all you need to know, you should be able to move with your wife, but there is little chance , unless you have a shed load of cash, that she will be able to get a visa to start earlier than October 2020, if she is lucky in the lottery for a visa. the other ways are an intracompany transfer or being lucky in the diversity lottery, but that isn't open for UK inhabitants unless you are Irish. The Us is one of the hardest countries to move to to work. She will have to put you on the visa request.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 9:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like either you, or the company, may have no idea what it actually takes to get a work visa for the US.

Is this a company she currently works for? If not, it'll be October 2020 at the earliest, and that's if the job qualifies, and she's successful in the lottery.

Oh and even if all the above is the case, then you won't be able to work on your derivative visa anyway. At all.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a L?
Old Jul 27th 2019, 9:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Could be a L?
Could be an R, could be an O, hell could be an EB.

We don't have any information at all here,
Old Jul 31st 2019, 8:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Good afternoon,

Hi and welcome,

As others have pointed out, it depends entirely on the type of visa your wife is being offered and from that point we can answer your questions.

"How long?" -- depends on the type of visa.
"Can I start?" -- Generally you do not start it. Your wife's employer starts it.
"Once it starts" -- again depends on the type of visa. For example, if they want her on an H-1 visa you could be in for a long wait, not to mention a "lottery" to even see if she gets it.

We'd love to offer you some more solid advice, but we'll need a bit more details. If she can get some information on the type of visa (i.e. the letter / number) than we can give you some more specific timeframes and procedures.

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Antihero is an unknown quantity at this point

well i am in process of my L1 Visa and its taken 7 months with a US immigration lawyer working on it , had to submit countless documents on why they need me and not another US person. We have out interview in a few weeks and hopefully we can go by the beginning of september!!